Panini: Reasons you remember quad-triple-doublers and certain imagee

SM™

Staff member
I filled the book two years running, 84-86.

Frankie Bunn - I reckon 40% of packs that year

I could've papered the room with stickers ot that arsehole!

I loved watching that Everton side with Andy and Graham Sharp up front.

Andy may be TV football's light-hearted face of fun and laughter...

...but in that Panini pic, all I can remember is thinking he must be a right miserable bastard!

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. I don't think he's putting on a fake persona.

Is anyone able to contact Andy?

Keen to know why he's such a growling miserable bastard in this pic.

Was that devil-worshipper and all-round-wank Peter Reid doing the voodoo in front of him and Graham Sharp or something?

Tell us, Andy! We'll back you up!

s-l400.jpg

I’ll never forget this guy. Had a few that I couldn’t give away.

(p.s. I’m not sure if he’s related)

The three things I remember was the Scottish teams have two players on one sticker.

The cartoon type stickers that portrayed the clubs nickname.

And how these players despite being 20 to 30 something , looked like they were 50.

Going back into the late 70s in the days before sticker technology had been fully developed and it was still just plain old cards, there was a year where you couldnt buy a pack without getting a Hamish McAlpine.
Jim Clunie, Dave Narey and Willie Pettigrew as well. More of them than sticks of bubble gum.

I remember the year they mixed up Ian Ferguson and Stuart Munro.

My legend of a mum sent a letter to Panini, and they sent me a reprinted sticker, with 4 additional to swap.

Was a popular boy that week!
I cut Stuart out of one of the many doubles and put the border around a pic of Fergie cut from the Rangers News.

...but in that Panini pic, all I can remember is thinking he must be a right miserable bastard!

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. I don't think he's putting on a fake persona.

Was that devil-worshipper and all-round-wank Peter Reid doing the voodoo in front of him and Graham Sharp or something?

Could take that picture of Frankie Bunn today and the background would be exactly the same!

Mine was also a Luton player. Felt like every other packet had Les Sealey.

I'm convinced whatever printer Panini used in the 80's had a malfunction and printed millions extra of Trevor Peake (Coventry).

LOVED the books from 84-86. I think I stopped buying them after that, but 84-85 season (I was 8-9) was the first one I had and it was the first season I really got into the football.

I remember the Scottish Premier stadium pics and thinking Ibrox looked cool af. And I remember just thinking how smart the Rangers strips looked on the stickers.

What I can't remember though, and have tried Google, but got nowhere, is what part of the season did the books come out? Was it the beginning of the season? As I remember the 84-85 season book just being titled Panini '85, and the 85-86 book (the one with club nickname stickers) just being called Panini '86

Remember my uncle buying me a full box to find one sticker in 1997.

Armand Benneker of Dundee United. Never forget that. Guy had left them before the sticker book was printed I think.

Iain Munro whilst at St Mirren and John Hansen at Thistle. Mid 1970s when they were cards not stickers and you got a wee bit of bubblegum in each pack.

Completed the 1987 album but was a hollow victory as I sent away for the small number of stickers I was missing.

Feel bad cause he passed away recently but me and my brother always had a good laugh when we got Chris Nicholl the Southampton manager as he was a big ugly bastard

LOVED the books from 84-86. I think I stopped buying them after that, but 84-85 season (I was 8-9) was the first one I had and it was the first season I really got into the football.

I remember the Scottish Premier stadium pics and thinking Ibrox looked cool af. And I remember just thinking how smart the Rangers strips looked on the stickers.

What I can't remember though, and have tried Google, but got nowhere, is what part of the season did the books come out? Was it the beginning of the season? As I remember the 84-85 season book just being titled Panini '85, and the 85-86 book (the one with club nickname stickers) just being called Panini '86
That, and I remember thinking the Piggery looked sinister and ugly.

Science today still wouldn’t be able to explain the capacity for children of 8-14 years of age to forensically remember the entire details of a 300 capacity sticker album.

From the squad players of St Mirren to being aware of what you already had and what you didn’t.

It’s quite mad when you think about it.
Some of the same kids wouldn’t be able to remember the 7 times table when they walked into class ffs.

Science today still wouldn’t be able to explain the capacity for children of 8-14 years of age to forensically remember the entire details of a 300 capacity sticker album.

From the squad players of St Mirren to being aware of what you already had and what you didn’t.

It’s quite mad when you think about it.
Some of the same kids wouldn’t be able to remember the 7 times table when they walked into class ffs.
Spot on, mate! I suppose it goes to show that one size doesn't fit all when it comes to education or how we learn.

Did the Panini albums come out every football season or every calendar year? (As in: were they released every August or every January sort of thing?)

Back