Paterson our future right wingback, what about Doig on the left

For me we have to be giving Maxwell an opportunity. Don’t know too much about him but by all accounts he is doing really well at QOTS and has been a mainstay in the Scotland setup through the years.

If we are looking for anyone from Hibs/ home grown player it has to be Nesbit for me.
He was good when I watched him in our youth European games too

I’d imagine we will be keeping an eye on him, but I reckon we will see how maxwell progresses and get him a premiership loan next season and see how he fairs.

I've no doubt Rangers will be monitoring his progress but as has been mentioned, we're pretty well-covered in that area.
However, as we all know, things can change very quickly.

Surely Bassey is more likely to be the future?

He's not that much older.
He's 3 years older, that's quite a difference.

By the time Doig is the same age as Bassey is now, Bassey will be 24.

If Bassey progresses the way we hope, then by the time he is 24/25, you'd be expecting us to be getting decent offers from England. If Doig keeps progressing then at 21/22 he could be the man to then replace Bassey.

Only seen a few games where Josh Doig has played. To me he has potential. At 18 years of age should we be thinking of looking at him and Bassey (3 years his senior) to fight for that future place. Or do we have other young left sided players of similar potential?
He was absolutely roasted on Saturday don’t think he is of required standard

I’m interested in how James Maxwell is doing at qos loan as to me he is pretty excellent skill wise and good on speed but most importantly of all he is a clever crafty player and very smart on football . That goes a long long way imo .

he turned 19 just before NY so essentially the same age group as the Hibernian guy who while he has looked good seems stronger and more physically capable at this time .

so like Stephen Kelly who is also a vg player they both have physical development to do but I feel both are great examples of the Academy’s product

specifically on Josh Doig I’d say that there is way too little information and evidence to make him a transfer target to be above Bassey and be a seen as Borna Barisic replacement should he leave . Imo this is very much a wait and see position . He has two years on his contract .

Last edited:
He's 3 years older, that's quite a difference.

By the time Doig is the same age as Bassey is now, Bassey will be 24.

If Bassey progresses the way we hope, then by the time he is 24/25, you'd be expecting us to be getting decent offers from England. If Doig keeps progressing then at 21/22 he could be the man to then replace Bassey.
I think big Bassey will end up as a Centre Half.

Yes from me, looked very good against us. Has an end product which is the most difficult thing to coach. Worth investing in home grown quality, even from them.

Only seen a few games where Josh Doig has played. To me he has potential. At 18 years of age should we be thinking of looking at him and Bassey (3 years his senior) to fight for that future place. Or do we have other young left sided players of similar potential?

He got absolutely roasted in the semi final on Saturday, plus both Tav and Frimpong have had him on toast too.

Not bad going forward but defensively very poor.

Bassey is miles ahead of him.

I agree, he has caught the eye and strips well, but he was hooked at the Stade de Gade and was ragdolled against St.Johnstone, he's worth watching no more just now

Have always thought Doig has looked decent when I’ve seen him. Very young as well. Wouldn’t be against us at least keeping close tabs on him.

Patterson looks like he can be a viable option to take over as our first choice RB. Here’s hoping.

He had one bad game mate, it happens.

He has otherwise been very impressive whenever he's played
For me there are several games when he has looked lost positionally, not bad going forward when he has time but often vulnerable to the ball over his shoulder when sitting in no mans land?

For me there are several games when he has looked lost positionally, not bad going forward when he has time but often vulnerable to the ball over his shoulder when sitting in no mans land?
Bit harsh that. Until the St Mirren game, when he was really poor, we had conceded one goal while he was on the pitch and it was an own goal from Edmundson.

Have always thought Doig has looked decent when I’ve seen him. Very young as well. Wouldn’t be against us at least keeping close tabs on him.

Patterson looks like he can be a viable option to take over as our first choice RB. Here’s hoping.
When though?
He can't sit on the sidelines for another two years. If he does that he'll regress.
It's a huge problem, although the manager will say it's a good problem to have, it's one that he'll need to address sooner rather than later.

When though?
He can't sit on the sidelines for another two years. If he does that he'll regress.
It's a huge problem, although the manager will say it's a good problem to have, it's one that he'll need to address sooner rather than later.

if Tav doesn’t sign a long term deal it’s very likely he goes in the summer.

So possibly in a few months’ time for Patterson.

If Tav was to sign on long term again then makes it very difficult to see an avenue to a proper run of games, I agree.

Latest posts

Back