Patterson is easily the most talented player we have

I’ve never been a fan of 3 at the back as it usually just means you don’t have 2 good enough centre backs but with a new manager coming in it makes sense to look at some variant of the system Scotland play with Tierney/ Robertson at least as a variant to change things up.

We could actually do it both sides some games with Bassey inside Barisic as well.

If you look at our squad we’ve got a lot of players who would be natural fits for that system with an offensive and more defensive option at each position. Helander, Goldson, Balogun would be a strong defensive alternative for tougher games whilst Aribo or Arfield could be more aggressive options as 8s.

We could still play the 2 tens if we went solid (Jack / Kamara) in midfield which would still allow us to fit Kent in. Or we could play Hagi as a passing ten centrally behind a front 2 and still with up to 4 options running wide beyond him as a way to break teams down.

Again a more solid alternative would be 3 in cm with Davis instead of one of the front 3 which manages his workload

Don't want this to come across the wrong way but I would sell Tav before I would sell Nathan P.
Football is big business and Tav's value will decline from now on and selling him, or trying to sell him when he is decline would be a waste.
Selling N.P. in the next few months and keeping Tav, hoping he will be at his current level for 3 or 4 more years is wishful thinking.
We would obviously lose Tav's experience and leadership but I think selling Tav would be sensible business decision and allow N.P. to play every week and improve much quicker than warming the bench.
It could possibly be rough in the beginning while N.P. gains experience but I think it would pay off in the long run. He is a very talented young lad and deserves to wear a blue jersey in Glasgow for many years to come.

I keep seeing on here that Patterson is a better defender than tav but he’s nowhere near good enough yet defensively for me.
I do wonder if it's at all feasible to play one of the two in midfield, probably Patterson for his energy.

I realise you're then sort of trying to put a square block in a round hole but with the midfield lacking a bit at times this season just a quandary?

Arfield back should hopefully help right enough.

We have to maximise his value before he inevitably goes to the EPL

If the "we" is Scotland. I agree. He has had far greater influence than Robertson or gilmour the last couple of games, and his assists have dragged us into 2nd place in the group.

Rangers though? He's good. He's very good. But Tav, Borna, Kent, Aribo, Hagi, Kamara are all probably more talented at present. Nathan has youth on his side and with that big potential though.

I have no interest in increasing his value though at present. I wanna keep this boy and enjoy him for many more years.

I'd seriously consider playing Patterson on the right side of a midfield 3 - almost as an interchangeable wing back with Tav.

He has a natural instinct to run beyond the midfield which I think we could benefit from
This is worthy of consideration for me, he does great work going forward and has the range to cover in a mid three.

All options should be tried as we've lacked spark and incisive movement on most of our games.

You put it simply, not shortly.

Back to the subject though, he can earn a million a year staying with us for the next 15 years, I’d think that would set him up pretty well.
I was never good at English at school.
Problem is, football is a short career, and can become even shorter with an injury. I can’t blame any player if they get tempted by better pay. Probably best though for his career to stay here for at least a couple more years so he doesn’t become a waste and have his career stall at club like everton.

Now here lies the problem isn't it, there are people on here that will refuse to give the boy any credit because it will be seen as a slight to their poster own poster boy, their captain, ffs if Paterson shows he has more to offer he plays and he has not been given the chance regardless of Tavs form.
Poster boy? Is he NP your poster boy wee man?

Don't want this to come across the wrong way but I would sell Tav before I would sell Nathan P.
Football is big business and Tav's value will decline from now on and selling him, or trying to sell him when he is decline would be a waste.
Selling N.P. in the next few months and keeping Tav, hoping he will be at his current level for 3 or 4 more years is wishful thinking.
We would obviously lose Tav's experience and leadership but I think selling Tav would be sensible business decision and allow N.P. to play every week and improve much quicker than warming the bench.
It could possibly be rough in the beginning while N.P. gains experience but I think it would pay off in the long run. He is a very talented young lad and deserves to wear a blue jersey in Glasgow for many years to come.
If an EPL team waves a £40,000 a week contract in NP's face then everything you wrote is irrelevant.

The first team to offer us substantial hard cash upfront not all the add-ons pish that are in favour now then he'll be off whether we like it or not.

John McGinn on Nathan Patterson:

“He is a top player. Like a young Alan Hutton galloping up and down the wing.

“Best part about him is he is some boy. Confident but humble.

“Wants to learn, wants to get better, still raw but he has been a huge, huge part of our success.”

Needs to start playing against proper football teams to form a true assessment of his ceiling

Tav would look like a rockstar playing sides like Molodva and The Faroes, not to say Patterson isn’t talented but the OP is just idiotic nonsense as per
You mean you need to see him on sky having signed for a top top top epl side and managed by a top top manager, even then it depends what gary, jamie, and roy say in the studio about his performance.

And while i hate the whole aye but what about Tav carry on, we dont seem to mind giving our captain plenty of credit for playing well against Ross or Dundee. Not exactly much better sides than the teams Scotland are up against.

I was never good at English at school.
Problem is, football is a short career, and can become even shorter with an injury. I can’t blame any player if they get tempted by better pay. Probably best though for his career to stay here for at least a couple more years so he doesn’t become a waste and have his career stall at club like everton.
Apologies for my grammar policing, I’m a smartarse at the best of times and worse after a drink! That’ll account for the number of sore faces I’ve had!

The way McGinn and Paterson linked up there - surely Gerrard will be bidding for this boy. Tin hat on, but if we can get Tierney money for a reserve full back I think we’d have to do it. Short term financial woes sorted.

That is as sure as night follows day. We should all prepare for a double bid coming in from Villa for both Patterson and Kent during the winter window.

You mean you need to see him on sky having signed for a top top top epl side and managed by a top top manager, even then it depends what gary, jamie, and roy say in the studio about his performance.

And while i hate the whole aye but what about Tav carry on, we dont seem to mind giving our captain plenty of credit for playing well against Ross or Dundee. Not exactly much better sides than the teams Scotland are up against.
Mate I watch him at Ibrox and support Rangers why would I give a %^*& about the EPL? I watched him against Israel about 20 yards from where I was sitting most of the half, I watch and go to loads of football

For Rangers he’s really only played Hibs and a turgid and half phoned in Celtic team and was ropey for a hell of a lot of the game, he needs to be seen against good SPL teams often to know how good he is, it’s hit and miss National teams at best so fa he’s playing, he’s literally hardly played for Rangers or Scotland to know how good actually he is.

He needs to play often before I can actually know how good he is, he’s barely played football against sides people watch often

Last edited:
Mate I watch him at Ibrox and support Rangers why would I give a %^*& about the EPL? I watched him against Israel about 20 yards from where I was sitting most of the half, I watch and go to loads of football

For Rangers he’s really only played Hibs and a turgid and half phoned in Celtic team and was ropey for a hell of a lot of the game, he needs to be seen against good SPL teams often to know how good he is, it’s hit and miss National teams at best so fa he’s playing, he’s literally hardly played for Rangers or Scotland to know how good actually he is.

He needs to play often before I can actually know how good he is, he’s barely played football against sides people watch often
He played 5 or 6 league games last season and 4 in the Europa league. Do those teams not count? After all it’s the same teams Tav plays against.

Last edited:
I hope Rangers get him signed onto a long contract, he was excellent last night for Scotland apart from penalty incident. The fact he has hardly played this season and produces that display he has a huge future in front of him.

We have to maximise his value before he inevitably goes to the EPL
Not read thread yet m8 but iam sure iam not only one to disagree, we have a few outstanding individual talents but as a full back I would agree he's certainly the best Scottish full back inc Andy Robertson & Biscuit Hips and id stick my neck out and claim one of the best full backs in the UK

If an EPL team waves a £40,000 a week contract in NP's face then everything you wrote is irrelevant.

The first team to offer us substantial hard cash upfront not all the add-ons pish that are in favour now then he'll be off whether we like it or not.
Are you kidding me? That is a BIG if. Sell Tav ASAP, Keep N.P.

He played 5 or 6 league games last season and 4 in the Europa league. Do those teams not count? After all it’s the same teams Tav plays against.
5 or 6 league games…

He played 238 minutes of league football last season, about 2 and a half games, the 5 or 6 included coming on for 4 minutes and 20 minutes in games.

He’s played 90 minutes once in European group game for us.

He’s played 114 minutes of league football this season. One full game, that’s it

He’s not played much football for us at all, he’s incredibly raw and prone to some really rash errors as would be expected, but he’s made quite a lot of errors even in limited time on the park for both Scotland and Rangers. It’s if these will iron out his game or not, it’s very early to tell TBH, if the do then yes his ceiling is high. It’s not a dismissal of him, it’s just pointing out how little he’s actually played for us for people to make these definitive statements in relation to his talent, he looks promising yes, but he simply needs more football, it’s simply stating the obvious to say that.

He's a great talent, but as others have said, is still fairly raw. Definitely think he will have a brilliant career. Hopefully it's with us.

Most promising, but not the most talented, yet, IMO.

Kent, Kamara & Aribo all have a bit more about them.

W
No fxckin about here , if I was site moderator you would get a life ban for that shit post , with a one off voucher emailed for Specsavers

They’ve both scored plenty of goals that involved more composure and skill than that finish tonight, at a much higher level.

I’m all for praising someone, but no need to talk pish to bring down his team mates or make him better than he is :))
Sometimes Kent has shown great composure and sometimes he slashes at it and hits the corner flag. I'm not knocking him he has great energy, works hard for the team and makes things happen, but if he had the composure of Defoe he'd be playing in the EPL IMO obviously. No need for the talking pish bit . Why do people almost take it personal when you say something about one of our players , obviously if they were top drawer we would be fending off bids for them?

The recency bias in this forum is truly something else. Patterson is a fantastic player but "easily the most talented in the squad"? Did you start watching football just as Scotland Moldova kicked off?
Easily?

what’s wrong with “one of”?

Back