Paul Ritchie on his time at Rangers

Ritchie was harshly treated especially when you consider how much Konterman was allowed to blunder his way through the next 18 months under Advocaat and never once get dropped, even going as far as altering the formation simply to keep him in the team once Moore was fit again.

Ritchie was harshly treated especially when you consider how much Konterman was allowed to blunder his way through the next 18 months under Advocaat and never once get dropped, even going as far as altering the formation simply to keep him in the team once Moore was fit again.

The last paragraph of the article shows how perplexing his man management could be, especially that season. Got to the stage where he was dictating to players the exact size of shorts they had to wear.

Think a few players have spoken publicly about how it seemed there were different rules for the Dutch players.

Ritchie was a good player in a surprisingly decent Hearts team. Him, Naysmith, McCann, Cameron and Adam were all good players. Should have bought him a d utilised him, or not bothered.

Tl;dr: Murray was a bellend.

Cameron would have been a decent signing for us at time.

The last paragraph of the article shows how perplexing his man management could be, especially that season. Got to the stage where he was dictating to players the exact size of shorts they had to wear.

Think a few players have spoken publicly about how it seemed there were different rules for the Dutch players.
And it coincided with a complete collapse and trophyless season; something I still find unacceptable, especially given the cost and quality of that squad.

And it coincided with a complete collapse and trophyless season; something I still find unacceptable, especially given the cost and quality of that squad.
His attitude towards players who never bought wholesale into his regimen said it all. Think McCann v Albertz. He then made a Roger Hunt of things by trying to outthink Wibble by signing the likes of Russell Latapy.

Murray should have reined him in long before his eventual departure, which incidentally, was on his terms and not Murray’s.

No wonder Advocaat refers to Murray as a good friend. He weighed him in and took him out of the firing line at the same time.

Profligate doesn’t begin to cover the half of it

I was happy when we signed Ritchie was a good wee Scottish player and I thought he’d kick on at Rangers and we needed to keep buying the best Scots - he wasn’t played and we got Konterman instead !
Not The Little General’s best decision

Kind of goes to show the extent of Murray’s ego.

What qualifications did he have to identify and recruit players?
Colin Hendry was another one wasn’t he?

Murray had always seemed immune to criticism, so it was a strange turn of events in the summer of 1998 when the club was being criticised in some media quarters for signing lots of foreigners and then the chairman took it upon himself to buy up Scottish players without having his manager on-board with the plan.

Then you had Advocaat splurging on Ricksen and Konterman in 2000 when neither were really better than what we had already. Fair to say that hindsight throws light on a bit of a volatility between manager and chairman.

Colin Hendry was another one wasn’t he?

Murray had always seemed immune to criticism, so it was a strange turn of events in the summer of 1998 when the club was being criticised in some media quarters for signing lots of foreigners and then the chairman took it upon himself to buy up Scottish players without having his manager on-board with the plan.

Bizarrely Advocaat claimed he wanted to sign him for PSV which I find hard to believe

Back