PCN from Tesco Perth

crc365

I followed the advice from Rangers.

Tesco car park is close by with a match day parking fee of £5.

However on the day there was no way to make payment, asked in store and usual arrangements weren't in place. I registered on the Horizon app but couldn't pay either at the time or post match so surprised to get a PCN for £70 reduced to £40 if paid in 14 days.

Bit of research and can ignore the invoice as in Scotland, at least for the time being, advice is to do nothing as currently there's no keeper liability unlike England.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/comment/80464648#Comment_80464648

First reply absolutely nails it. Don't even contact the company concerned
Actually, it doesn’t.

If the OP racks up enough fines with the same company (not car park, company) then he’ll eventually become worthwhile to be taken to court where he could potentially have to pay.

If it’s a one off, it’s unlikely to lead to anything. If he’s already got 5-6 from other car parks operated by the same company, they might pursue civil action

Actually, it doesn’t.

If the OP racks up enough fines with the same company (not car park, company) then he’ll eventually become worthwhile to be taken to court where he could potentially have to pay.

If it’s a one off, it’s unlikely to lead to anything. If he’s already got 5-6 from other car parks operated by the same company, they might pursue civil action

I got 50odd of them from a company who operated a car park when I worked in Cumbernauld and absolutely nothing happened. I got the 50odd penalty letters then 50odd debt collection letters and then they disappeared. I think the OP will be fine binning them.

I've had 2+ years of letters from some company regarding a similar parking fine.
(Stayed over the maximum time of "free" parking). Every couple of months I laugh, as I throw it in the bin.
I was tempted to call them and say they're wasting their time. But, why ruin my fun.

Penalty Charge Notices are issued by the Council, on public land (ie, the local high street). If they are not paid, the registered keeper of the vehicle will be pursued (under the Road Traffic Act 1991). and the fee owed will increase, along with any added legal fees incurred in the pursuit of the original amount. Parking Charge Notices are issued by the land-owner or a parking company on private land (ie, the local supermarket car park). They are not backed by the law in the same manner as Penalty Charge Notices - but they are still legally enforceable, and you could still be taken to court, if the company decides to pursue the matter. Due to time and cost restraints, most companies will not pursue a single Parking Charge Notice - but they can, if they choose to, and often do, for repeat offenders. This is why it's generally safe to bin them - but its your gamble. Here's what happened to one repeat offender, who erroneously believed that Parking Charge Notices were 'not legally enforceable' :

Last edited:

However on the day there was no way to make payment, asked in store and usual arrangements weren't in place. I registered on the Horizon app but couldn't pay either at the time or post match so surprised to get a PCN for £70 reduced to £40 if paid in 14 days.

Bit of research and can ignore the invoice as in Scotland, at least for the time being, advice is to do nothing as currently there's no keeper liability unlike England.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/comment/80464648#Comment_80464648
For the sake of a bit of peace of mind, make sure you note down somewhere that you couldn’t pay on that Saturday as the system was not accessible.
Just retain it somewhere, in case, at some future point, it might be useful to have.

Complain to Tesco. Say you were a customer who couldn't get out because of the traffic.

Penalty Charge Notices are issued by the Council, on public land (ie, the local high street). If they are not paid, the registered keeper of the vehicle will be pursued (under the Road Traffic Act 1991). and the fee owed will increase, along with any added legal fees incurred in the pursuit of the original amount. Parking Charge Notices are issued by the land-owner or a parking company on private land (ie, the local supermarket car park). They are not backed by the law in the same manner as Penalty Charge Notices - but they are still legally enforceable, and you could still be taken to court, if the company decides to pursue the matter. Due to time and cost restraints, most companies will not pursue a single Parking Charge Notice - but they can, if they choose to, and often do, for repeat offenders. This is why it's generally safe to bin them - but its your gamble. Here's what happened to one repeat offender, who erroneously believed that Parking Charge Notices were 'not legally enforceable' :

Pretty sure the crux of the matter is who was driving. In England, registered keeper is fined. In Scotland it's the driver of the vehicle at the time, which unless you admit to, they can't prove without a costly court case. The lassie who got done in Scotland had a shit load of them and then posed with them on social media admitting she was driving. So in Scotland, bin the bloody things

I followed the club advice too and went there but got told by the security guard to contact Horizon. When there was no option to pay for that day's parking I just went and found a spot a few minutes walk away in a residential street because I couldn't be bothered with these letters popping through my letterbox for the next 6 months until they give up.

Bin it. Unenforceable
Ok, I've been told this too. Live in the Oban area.

The thread linked in the OP says if the keeper of the car lives in Scotland. The car I drive is leased by my employer, registered in England. Does that change things? Anyone know?

The thread linked in the OP says if the keeper of the car lives in Scotland. The car I drive is leased by my employer, registered in England. Does that change things? Anyone know?
If the car is leased by your company, then they might pay the fine and pass the charge on to you once it’s been paid

Bin it. Unenforceabe.

Untrue and unwise advice.

They CAN take you to a civil court and there are many cases of this happening with the inevitable negative credit impact. However they are UNLIKELY to take you to court unless you are a serial offender.

To say it's unenforceable is just a plain lie.

No.

Idispute your 'parking charge', as the keeper of the vehicle. I deny any liability or contractual agreement and I will be making a complaint about your predatory conduct to your client landowner.

There will be no admissions as to who was driving and no assumptions can be drawn. Since your PCN is a vague template, I require an explanation of the allegation and your evidence. You must include a close up actual photograph of the sign you contend was at the location on the material date as well as your images of the vehicle.

If the allegation concerns a PDT machine, the data supplied in response to this appeal must include the record of payments made - showing partial VRNs - and an explanation of the reason for the PCN, because your Notice does not explain it.

If the allegation involves an alleged overstay of minutes, your evidence must include the actual grace period agreed by the landowner.
C+P it

Had a similar situation down here that I was unaware of. Ended up with a CCJ over a £45 parking fine I had no idea about. Some scouse outfit take on the liability get you served a CCJ and then charge the fine, plus court costs and their admin costs for them to declare the CCJ resolved. Cost me £400 to clear. Maybe different in Scotland.

Had a similar situation down here that I was unaware of. Ended up with a CCJ over a £45 parking fine I had no idea about. Some scouse outfit take on the liability get you served a CCJ and then charge the fine, plus court costs and their admin costs for them to declare the CCJ resolved. Cost me £400 to clear. Maybe different in Scotland.

It is.

Horizon parking?

Got the same letter

If Tesco private parking contractor then advice I've seen and followed don’t acknowledge or exchange any contacts with them. If Council issued then pay up.

If the car is leased by your company, then they might pay the fine and pass the charge on to you once it’s been paid
No, the leasing company just sends on the notice and charges 10 GBP each time. Then employer sends to me. Was going to call the leasing company and tell them to ignore it and not charge me! Not sure it's worth it with both them and employer in the mix!

LEALIENBUDDY_3_spacebuddy-alien-recycling-bin-84-litre.jpg

If you live down south or are a repeat offender then you possibly have cause for concern. If it's neither of the above, you can file it in folder "B1-N" and not have too much to worry about.

Back