Penalty shout on Dessers in the 1st half

It was a horrendous decision and should be called out. A full 2 arm push, you’ll never see a clearer foul. Also the second one where Dessers arms were by his side and his shirt was being pulled up around his neck yet somehow VAR must’ve just thought the wind caught it or something. It’s a disgrace, they are terrified to give anything to us.

I thought the second one was even worse, the defender almost pulled the jersey off him. VAR checked it for 2 seconds

I’m still not clear on what actually happened with VAR there.

It was as blatant a penalty as you’ll see, but the commentary team felt Dessers was offside, yet there was no explanation.

If they’ve genuinely looked at the push and felt it didn’t merit a spot kick then it absolutely beggars belief.
Ian Crocker said they had a look at it and thought there was nothing in it.

I don't understand how VAR has had a look at that and thought no penalty on Dessers even though he was blatantly pushed. Ultimately it didn't cost us in the end, but it is another decision yet again that has gone against us.
Was right in line with it and thought I must have imagined it as it was so blatant. Only thing var checked was our goal afore ht.
Its getting tiresome now as the rules don't get applied at all regarding us.

Timmy kicks a Rangers player, Rangers score, foul.
Timmy kicks a Rangers player, Timmy throws himself to the floor, penalty.
Rangers player goes for ball, kicks Dundee player, goes down, no foul.

You can guess which 1 of the 3 was the correct decision.

Even when the league is done they still allow the likes of Sylla to hack away at our players all game long with no cars shown.

Both of the Dessers claims should’ve been given.

Graham Dorrans on RTV co coms seemed to think it wouldn’t be looked at as Dessers was too far away from actually getting to the ball but I thought a foul was a foul and a foul in the box a penalty?
Agreed - the defender obviously didn't think he was too far away when he took the deliberate decision to push him in the back with 2 hands. You know very well who would have got a penalty for that.

Graham Dorrans on RTV co coms seemed to think it wouldn’t be looked at as Dessers was too far away from actually getting to the ball but I thought a foul was a foul and a foul in the box a penalty?
Yup, it is. Someone gets pulled down by the shirt at the back of the box as the ball is cleared at the near post is still given as a penalty. This is no different. Stonewaller. Only reason it shouldn't have been a red card along with it is he wasn't denied a goal scoring opportunity.

I also felt McCausland should've had one too for the exact same thing just as he took a shot but far more subjective. The reason being he was shoved off balance in the process of taking his shot. It was a clear foul to me and I saw no clear difference between that one and Kyogo getting a penalty vs Hibs for getting a shot away then getting fouled.

The 3rd one, Dessers second, is probably the most blatant of the lot. Clearly getting the shirt ripped off him, both his hands above his head trying to highlight it at the time and again completely ignored. For all we were god awful in the first half we could have scored 10 tonight including at least 2 pens. Awful officiating.

The one in the second half was worse, guy was basically trying to steal the shirt from his back.

I’m still not clear on what actually happened with VAR there.

It was as blatant a penalty as you’ll see, but the commentary team felt Dessers was offside, yet there was no explanation.

If they’ve genuinely looked at the push and felt it didn’t merit a spot kick then it absolutely beggars belief.
The answer is contained in your final sentence.

Thought the one in the second half was more of a shout than the first one tbh

Being impeded from heading the ball with his shirt clearly being held when he's clearly in a position to play the ball

I thought the one in the first half he might have been clipped and tripped - then he claimed the push and I wasn't sold on that - would need to see it again

It is ridiculous, I’d go back to last game at Dens. Sima just getting shot away in the box but gets two handed push in back which wasn’t looked at

Yeah that’s a stupid comment, and I headbutt someone but they weren’t getting ball it’s ok then?

Pen all day for me

Horrendous refereeing in the first half, not making excuses about letting 2 goals in but him not giving correct fouls/penalty, and dishing out cards affects the result. Seen it far too often this season.

It was a clear penalty, we were in line with it up in GR2, unbelieveable that VAR never looked at it.

Looking right at it from BF4. Boy had his hand on his shoulder and pulled him down. No question it's a penalty.

Would love to hear the reasoning behind not giving it.

Yup, it is. Someone gets pulled down by the shirt at the back of the box as the ball is cleared at the near post is still given as a penalty. This is no different. Stonewaller. Only reason it shouldn't have been a red card along with it is he wasn't denied a goal scoring opportunity.
Should it not have been a red card? Double jeopardy doesn't apply to deliberate fouls like a shirt pull or push.

Last edited:
Reposting from the match thread.

VAR room - 9GAG

The both of them were as clear penalties as you'll ever get.
I don't know if I've mentioned it before but....I fkn hate VAR!

Back