Penalty shout on Dessers in the 1st half

Probably not in this case

If what Dorrans has said on RTV is the case, then he’s half right…

If he’s not getting the ball, it can still be a foul, but it wouldn’t be a red card because it’s not DOGSO
I understood the rule to be if the player makes no attempt to play the ball as here ( or a shirt pull for example ) a red card can be given.

I understood the rule to be if the player makes no attempt to play the ball as here ( or a shirt pull for example ) a red card can be given.
It needs to be an obvious goal scoring opportunity…

So he needs to have possession, or a realistic prospect of possession

Graham Dorrans on RTV co coms seemed to think it wouldn’t be looked at as Dessers was too far away from actually getting to the ball but I thought a foul was a foul and a foul in the box a penalty?
"...Dessers was too far away from actually getting to the ball..."

Don't know if the rule has changed but if the ball is in play anywhere on the pitch and a foul is committed in the penalty area it used to be a penalty.

Back in the day a Rangers player got pulled up for having a spat with an opposition player in our penalty box whilst the ball was in play 100 yards away at the other end and the linesman drew the ref's attention to it and brought the game back to our end and awarded the opposition a penalty.Think it might have been a League Cup tie against Ross County.

Last edited:
This rubbish about Dessers not getting to the ball is literally that, rubbish. That Kyogo got a penalty when the ball was being safely held in the hands of the opposition goalkeeper ffs... its one rule for them and a completely different set for us.

Reactions: TNT
I'm 100% for VAR but its the cheating officials that need to be looked at, we're being cheated.

I guess we have the biggest cheat in Clancy for the Cup Final.
It didn’t take them long to figure out it could be manipulated with no repercussions. The Collum incident told us everything we needed to know about how VAR is being used.

McCausland was pushed in the box first half too when he was through 1 on 1 with the keeper.
Thought I was the only one who noticed this. Defender leapt forward to push McCausland off balance when shooting. There were 3 blatant penalties and not one was given a second look

Reposting from the match thread.

VAR room - 9GAG
Signed, sealed, delivered, no penalty.

Back