Penalty taker this season

Tavernier if he wants it back.
If he doesn't I wonder if Aribo would be a good penalty taker.

Hagi took it in Braga, it was a good penalty matched by a good save from memory. Can see Roofe or Itten taking them when they're on the field.

The Manager sat with Gary Neville on his Soccerbox interviews and said he always thinks strikers should be desperate to take pens, but our right back is our first choice. Does this mean Alfie doesn’t fancy them or is the captain pulling rank? Surely someone who’s job is primary to be hitting balls into the net, whether it be Morelos or even Kent / Hagi / Aribo should be taking out spot kicks?

As you do, I watched videos of Roofe after we signed him which showed him score a few penalties. I realise these videos wouldn’t include penalties he’s missed and I’ve not checked his record. Could he be an option?

Roofe and Itten both scored pens in their YouTube videos. Personally I always prefer your goalscorers to be taking them.

The Manager sat with Gary Neville on his Soccerbox interviews and said he always thinks strikers should be desperate to take pens, but our right back is our first choice. Does this mean Alfie doesn’t fancy them or is the captain pulling rank? Surely someone who’s job is primary to be hitting balls into the net, whether it be Morelos or even Kent / Hagi / Aribo should be taking out spot kicks?

I disagree sorry. Penalties are a combination of technique and controlling nerves. Its as much in the head. Alfie is an instinctive finisher. He sees a chances and hits it early. Someone like Barisic had much better technique. I think Hagi or Aribo could do it well.

I disagree sorry. Penalties are a combination of technique and controlling nerves. Its as much in the head. Alfie is an instinctive finisher. He sees a chances and hits it early. Someone like Barisic had much better technique. I think Hagi or Aribo could do it well.
Agree with your point, however was only relaying what Gerrard’s been quoted with

Defoe if he's on the park at the time would be my top choice but otherwise I'd go with Barasic.

Yet to see what Itten and Roofe can do though

Barisic looks full of confidence and is a lovely striker of the ball. Not sure though. Not Morelos and not Tavernier. Aribo possibly if he fancies it.

Heard Alan Shearer on MOTD during lockdown saying when Fergie was trying to sign him for ManU he asked if he could take the penalties and Fergie was reluctant because Cantona was taking them. We need someone with the baws to step up and WANT to take them like that. Super Ally would fight you to take them, if you’ve got the strength of character then it’s a relatively straightforward way of boosting your goals tally.
You need to get awarded them in the first place right enough.

Kent or Roofe for me.

Kent is so clean when striking the ball.

Hagi tries to be to cute with penalties and Tav has missed a few of his last attempts.

Kent, Roofe or even Barisic for me.

Need to fucking get one first, if we're not getting one for the Itten challenge tonight it doesn't bode well.

If/when we do I'd like to see Tav stepping back up.
Me too.........I think a couple of misses did not warrant him losing the task, specially when the misses were very close things.........maybe a suspension till he felt confident again..........I think the sooner we have Tav back taking and scoring penalties, the better cause I want to see a return to the Tav of old, scoring double figures every season from penalties free kicks shots......the lot........I think his confidence was totally destroyed by this episode..........got a feeling this won’t be a popular opinion though lol

Why the hell are we not giving it to the best ball striker we have at the club Borna Barisic?

Anybody else still puzzled at this?

Are we scared we put pressure on Borna again in case he missed one and it wasn’t good for his confidence?

After last seasons efforts I would imagine the gaffer has been working on them a bit, with probably 2 or 3 options depending who is on the pitch at the time.

1. Tav
2. Barisic

If also fancy Kent to stick them away more often than not.

Barisic has hit 6 in his career,scored 4,missed 2,according to Transfermarkt.
Alfie took the one in preseason so it's a very long wait and see......

Since 2017/18 season we have received 23 penalties which is 9 more than the scum who received 14.
But aye, we never gets pens.

Thanks for that. It's important to get these irrelevant historical facts out into the open.

Or are you suggesting the scum are unfairly disadvantaged by our match officials?

For me penalties are all about confidence I think we pick a player and they take them until they miss one then is passes to someone else.. As soon as one is missed if the taker is retained their miss will unconsciously be at the back of his mind so he will always be second favourite. Only my opinion.

Back