Peter Crouch on training with Gerrard

This is exactly why Barasic and Grezda are getting under Gerrard's skin. This is exactly why Windass was shown the door.

They have ability, but they don't bring it to every single training session and that rubs off on other players.

Gerrard is here to win and if that means he upsets a few people then so be it.

Sir Alex Ferguson was the same. As soon as he felt you wasn't giving 100% - you were gone.

It's a bit much comparing Ferguson and Gerrard, but Gerrard is clearly aspiring to be the best he can and that's brilliant as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:
I'll offer a slightly converse opinion here, only as it pertains to Rangers.

One of the most difficult adjustments for an elite World Class player managing 'lesser' calibre is making adjustments from your exacting standards as a player to an acceptable level in management.

His standards at Rangers CANNOT (and aren't now) be the same ones when he was at Melwood.

I know he struggled with that initially, but is much more comfortable now.

His expectations are tempered, but still EXTREMELY demanding - as they should be and as we expect them to be.

By the way, players being referred to include Cisse, Diouf, Le Tallec, Pongolle, Carroll and Mark Gonzalez.

In contrast to all the ‘he needs more time’ line often heard

Not necessarily. Giving everything in training every day doesn't instantly translate to top performances on the pitch – Davis being the perfect example at the moment. The guy is a top pro, you can guarantee he always gives 100%, but he still needed a bit of time to show it on the pitch.

This is exactly why Barasic and Grezda are getting under Gerrard's skin. This is exactly why Windass was shown the door.

They have ability, but they don't bring it to every single training session and that rubs off on other players.

Gerrard is here to win and if that means he upsets a few people then so be it.

Sir Alex Ferguson was the same. As soon as he felt you wasn't giving 100% - you was gone.

It's a bit much comparing Ferguson and Gerrard, but Gerrard is clearly aspiring to be the best he can and that's brilliant as far as I'm concerned.
He isn’t comparing, ffs.

Not necessarily. Giving everything in training every day doesn't instantly translate to top performances on the pitch – Davis being the perfect example at the moment. The guy is a top pro, you can guarantee he always gives 100%, but he still needed a bit of time to show it on the pitch.

I’m talking about being able to spot whether a player ‘has it’ as well as the attitude. It’s clear with some they don’t have the ability very quickly, so why waste time backing them?

Back