Petition of Heart of Midlothian Football Club and Partick Thistle - full text downloadable

Essentially three grounds .....

1. Materially inaccurate representation provided by the Directors to clubs as the basis for the Good Friday vote.

"The Directors’ failure to so explain matters to Members constituted a breach of their duty to provide sufficient information to allow Members to make properly informed decisions when voting on the Written Resolution"

2. Under the rules, the original Dundee vote should have stood.

"In any event, in terms of article 185 of the Articles, it was deemed to have been delivered when it was sent. The Dundee Rejection Vote was executed and had effect when it was sent at 4.48pm on 10 April 2020."

3. "That the affairs of the Company have been and are being conducted in the circumstances set out above in a manner that is unfairly prejudicial to the interests of Members, including the petitioners."

interesting, they are saying that they are looking for the champions of league be declared if they are paid their 8m and 2m in compensation?

interesting, they are saying that they are looking for the champions of league be declared if they are paid their 8m and 2m in compensation?

Yeah, that is interesting. They are proposing the compensation as an alternative. However, were the court to award them the compensation then the court is accepting that one or more of their grounds has merit. In which case, why would the court allow the decisions taken by the SPFL to stand?

I'm not a lawyer so maybe someone with a better grasp of this could explain further.

"Unfair Prejudice" was something I thought our dossier might be followed up with if we went legal (this type of action can be taken by a shareholder ore several shareholders as long as the total is a minority of shareholders).

Prior to that though they are saying that firstly the vote should never have taken place, but having taken place, the vote was 'NO'. If the courts find favour with either of those things might become interesting with regard to trophy awards/promotions/play-off spots etc (regardless of that not being pursued by Hearts/Partick)

If the dhims aren't nervous about this then the SPFL Executive sure as hell are going to be.

20. That various Members inquired whether there was any way that payment of fees could be made without the Season being brought to an end. They were wrongly advised by the Directors that that was not possible. Rangers FC proposed such an alternative resolution but were wrongly advised by the Company that Rangers’ proposed resolution was “not competent.” Indeed, by letter dated 12 April 2020 (the “SPFL Letter”), the Chairman of the Company, Murdoch MacLennan, wrote to Members stating inter alia:
“It has been suggested that it is open to the SPFL Board to distribute end-of season fee payments to clubs now, in the absence of league placings being finalised. That is simply not the case. For the Board to be able to authorise end 15 of season fee payments to clubs (amounting to £9.3 million gross), final league placings must be determined. Those who have suggested that the SPFL may make such payments, without a line being drawn under Season 2019/20, are wrong.”

21. That Members were thereby presented with the Written Resolution on a “take it or leave it” basis, as being the only realistic means by which payments could be made. That representation by the Directors was materially inaccurate. Advance fee payments could have been made to Members. That had been done before. In particular, in season 2016/17, because the way the League fixtures fell, the second petitioner and Motherwell FC did not stand to benefit from the significant income to be derived from a third home League Match against either Rangers FC or Celtic FC prior to the Premiership splitting into two (as it does in around April of each Season). The Company therefore agreed to make advance fee payments of £150,000 to each of the second petitioner and Motherwell FC in around January 2017.

Interesting, maybe the scope isn't quite as narrow as I feared. They might not be challenging 'champions' award but a lot will likely come out if it makes it to court.

Section 26 about the Dundee vote should stand would effectively mean that the resolution failed and no club could be award 'champion'.

The Directors withheld relevant and necessary information from the Members. They wrongly advised Members that fee payments could not be made unless or until the Season ended. The insufficiency of information thereby invalidated the Written Resolution procedure. The Directors then declared the Written Resolution to have been passed notwithstanding that, as a matter of fact and law, it had been rejected.

Damning.

Interesting, maybe the scope isn't quite as narrow as I feared. They might not be challenging 'champions' award but a lot will likely come out if it makes it to court.

Section 26 about the Dundee vote should stand would effectively mean that the resolution failed and no club could be award 'champion'.

I suppose it is possible that, if the Good Friday Resolution is declared ineffective it will present the SPFL with a problem. It is off the back of the Resolution that McKenzie changed that SPFL Rules & Regulations to allow the leagues to be declared in the manner that they were. I assume they would have to change them back again, meaning the title couldn't be awarded to Celtic in the manner it was.

Another EGM could be held I suppose now that (most of) the full implications are known. A different outcome regarding titles? I would have said no but the clubs have been paid their money now and all are aware of the clusterfuck since - plus the scale of the revolt against the SPFL on Reconstruction was staggering.

There's a bit of mileage to go perhaps.

Interesting read. First part of their case comes straight from Rangers Dossier. Shat their kecks about rescinding the awarding of titles though (para 42). Nothing more than a cop-out to avoid conflict with Liewell. Not good. Reads well apart from that.
Whilst I agree with all of that VB, in a way it all gets to the place most of us thought might be the best we could get to. If Hearts and PT are successful, then they are going to be so on the basis that (1) clubs were misled (by the SPFL briefing document) and / or (2) the Dundee "no vote" should have stood. If Hearts and PT are successful on either ground (but particularly the first one), Doncaster, Mackenzie and MacLennan have to be absolutely toast. Their positions just couldn't be tenable.

Indeed it might be interesting to see if there would be any further court proceedings which follow on from a successful outcome for Hearts and PT. Suppose the finding is that clubs have been misled and that the SPFL is to pay £Xm in damages. In that situation, I would not be surprised if one or more clubs follow on by seeking to raise a "derivative action" in name of the SPFL whereby they sue Doncaster (as the executive director and main architect of the briefing) for breach directors duties. In effect, a member club claims that Doncaster was responsible for their company (the SPFL) ending up with a massive damages liability.

Interesting read. First part of their case comes straight from Rangers Dossier. Shat their kecks about rescinding the awarding of titles though (para 42). Nothing more than a cop-out to avoid conflict with Liewell. Not good. Reads well apart from that.
Why does no one want to tramp on liewells toes ? He is the route of the problem in Scottish football and at some point must be held to account. I wonder which court case will bring him down?

People need to forget about their tainted title it's gone nothing will change whether we like it or not. The important thing now is removing the cabal.

I did agree with that, and suppose I still do in as much that breaking up the cabal is the goal but the petition seems to be directly questioning the validate of the resolution that allowed them to be gifted the league.

Depending on how it goes if it makes it to court then who knows, if the judge rules that the resolution had in fact been rejected (i.e. Dundee original vote was cast) then the league can't be given to them based on that resolution. It would require another resolution to be passed and would depend on who survives court fallout.

It's unlikely that they won't be given the title but don't think it's an impossibility.

Whilst I agree with all of that VB, in a way it all gets to the place most of us thought might be the best we could get to. If Hearts and PT are successful, then they are going to be so on the basis that (1) clubs were misled (by the SPFL briefing document) and / or (2) the Dundee "no vote" should have stood. If Hearts and PT are successful on either ground (but particularly the first one), Doncaster, Mackenzie and MacLennan have to be absolutely toast. Their positions just couldn't be tenable.

Indeed it might be interesting to see if there would be any further court proceedings which follow on from a successful outcome for Hearts and PT. Suppose the finding is that clubs have been misled and that the SPFL is to pay £Xm in damages. In that situation, I would not be surprised if one or more clubs follow on by seeking to raise a "derivative action" in name of the SPFL whereby they sue Doncaster (as the executive director and main architect of the briefing) for breach directors duties. In effect, a member club claims that Doncaster was responsible for their company (the SPFL) ending up with a massive damages liability.

I agree with all of that. I guess the point I was trying to get across is that I'm far from convinced, as some on here are, that Hearts/Thistle winning this case, even if the Good Friday vote is deemed unlawful, will lead to any taking away of titles. It will certainly help bring down at least Doncaster. Hopefully more. A start.

If the Dundee vote is ineffective then the title couldn’t be given . Would make a few tims nervous and adds to the asterisk but in reality they would have another egm and would end up same result with most teams just wanting to focus on football and money handed out. It will be negligence by the club however if they continue their silence if the last month and don’t go after the cabal

I’ll wait until the whole scenario has played out in the courts before my hope capitulates on that front.

Listening to today's Sportsound podcast.

Tom English stating that football has lost control of this and now it is in the hands of the lawyers/courts and when that happens the only thing you can expect is the unexpected.

Not 100% dead but the cabal departing is the prize. I reckon Doncaster is a goner anyway (only a matter of time) but there are many more influenced by them that need to be removed.

I agree with all of that. I guess the point I was trying to get across is that I'm far from convinced, as some on here are, that Hearts/Thistle winning this case, even if the Good Friday vote is deemed unlawful, will lead to any taking away of titles. It will certainly help bring down at least Doncaster. Hopefully more. A start.
Yes I suspect the title ship as sailed. But what they have is so tainted that it doesn’t really bother me. They can bang on about 9 all they like but, so far as I am concerned, they aren’t on 9, they aren’t even on 8.75 or 8, they are on 4. 4 titles with us in the league, the first 2 or 3 of which where we were pretty much still on our knees.

Section 18 (ix):

18. That the Written Resolution thereby proposed that for Season 2019/20 the
Rules would be amended with inter alia the following consequences:

ix. the Directors were given sole discretion to determine that no further
League Matches would be scheduled or played in the 2019/2020
Premiership season, in which case:

a. Premiership placings would be determined as per sub-paragraph
(i) above;
b. the first petitioner would be relegated;
c. Celtic FC would be declared the Champion Club of the League and
of the Premiership;
and
d. the fee payments for Season 2019/2020 for the Premiership Clubs
would be allocated and paid (based on the league ranking position
per sub-paragraph (i) above).

There you have it, quite explicitly the clubs knew this is what they were voting for.

Tom English stating that football has lost control of this and now it is in the hands of the lawyers/courts and when that happens the only thing you can expect is the unexpected.

Not 100% dead but the cabal departing is the prize. I reckon Doncaster is a goner anyway (only a matter of time) but there are many more influenced by them that need to be removed.
There is a possibility that Hearts win their case but still get demoted, Celtic retain the title, Doncaster keeps his job and the other 40 clubs have to chip for £10 million plus legal fees.

Gives me the fear!

There is a possibility that Hearts win their case but still get demoted, Celtic retain the title, Doncaster keeps his job and the other 40 clubs have to chip for £10 million plus legal fees.

Gives me the fear!
If that’s the case we refuse to pay simples %^*& them

Gives me the fear!
Can’t see any likelihood that the members pay off compensation and legal fees tbh. Who knows about the others though as you say CC

Why didn't they feel so aggrieved at the time far as I can remember Hearts where ok when they thought they could steer the other Clubs into restructuring its took nearly 2 months to get to this stage ,legal action should have been the first port of call and Thistle as well for that matter.

Why didn't they feel so aggrieved at the time far as I can remember Hearts where ok when they thought they could steer the other Clubs into restructuring its took nearly 2 months to get to this stage ,legal action should have been the first port of call and Thistle as well for that matter.

No, Hearts have been quite clever about this. They can demonstrate to the court that they have explored all possible options to no avail. Thus they can prove their good intent and reasonableness.

Last edited:

Yes, all three of them are needed to go to enable a result close to acceptability mate.

No, Hearts have been quite clever about this. They can demonstrate to the court that they have explored all possible options to no avail. This they can prove their good intent and reasonableness.
By going through the pretence of trying to restructure the Leagues,whatever the outcome it's going to be bad for Scottish Football all to suit that mob and not play out the League which I still find totally puzzling.So now on top of the Sky £6m and BT £3m bill we might have an additional £8m yet the Celtic placemen are still running (ruining )the game.

By going through the pretence of trying to restructure the Leagues,whatever the outcome it's going to be bad for Scottish Football all to suit that mob and not play out the League which I still find totally puzzling.So now on top of the Sky £6m and BT £3m bill we might have an additional £8m yet the Celtic placemen are still running (ruining )the game.

I think we have to wait and see how it all pans out.

Can’t see any likelihood that the members pay off compensation and legal fees tbh. Who knows about the others though as you say CC

If that’s the case we refuse to pay simples %^*& them
The only income the SPFL has goes to the clubs - so if there is a cost associated with this and there will be if Hearts win their case - so we'll end up paying anyway.

My dream outcome is a win for Hearts, the season declared N&V, no champions or titles and no one relegated. I would go out of my way to make friends with Sellick and Dundee Hibs fans just to laugh at them ;)

The only income the SPFL has goes to the clubs - so if there is a cost associated with this and there will be if Hearts win their case - so we'll end up paying anyway.

My dream outcome is a win for Hearts, the season declared N&V, no champions or titles and no one relegated. I would go out of my way to make friends with Sellick and Dundee Hibs fans just to laugh at them ;)
I think in order to achieve ‘null and void’ someone needs to suggest it first. Up to this point no one, including Rangers, have done this.

The Scum would still get in the CL,or would they isn't this what it is all about a Null and Void league was to see the teams with the highest coefficient that season progress to the European competitions .

Essentially three grounds .....

1. Materially inaccurate representation provided by the Directors to clubs as the basis for the Good Friday vote.

"The Directors’ failure to so explain matters to Members constituted a breach of their duty to provide sufficient information to allow Members to make properly informed decisions when voting on the Written Resolution"

2. Under the rules, the original Dundee vote should have stood.

"In any event, in terms of article 185 of the Articles, it was deemed to have been delivered when it was sent. The Dundee Rejection Vote was executed and had effect when it was sent at 4.48pm on 10 April 2020."

3. "That the affairs of the Company have been and are being conducted in the circumstances set out above in a manner that is unfairly prejudicial to the interests of Members, including the petitioners."
A lot of that is what we brought up in our official complaint

Where have Hearts or Thistle pulled the £8m/£2m figure from?

There is no detail in the document explaining how they have reached the conclusion that those are the figures that will be lost.

Back