Picture This Scotland- Bobby Russell 1981 Cup Final Replay

My daughter worked with Iain Ferguson . Both him and Bobby Russell do hosting work at Ibrox and he took a top in for me to get Bobby to sign it as she told him he was one of my all time favourites . Got it signed ,a while ago now ,obviously .But thanks to both Iain Ferguson and Bobby Russell

The first cup final was my first game attended at Hampden. But the replay was a night match, so I wasn’t allowed. I was 10 and it was a school night.

Flew back from Canada for the first game on the Saturday which was a waste of a day out. Ian Redford I think missed a late penalty at 0-0 to set up the replay the following Wednesday night. Cue a Davie Cooper magic show as we swept them aside by 4-1 in brilliant fashion.
Think the replay was the Tuesday night?

Cooper was only a sub in the 1st game but made the difference in the replay.

The first cup final was my first game attended at Hampden. But the replay was a night match, so I wasn’t allowed. I was 10 and it was a school night.
Feel for you. The first game was rotten. The highlight , if you can call it that was Redfords missed penalty

Russell/Cooper should've scarpered when Gers finished 5th in 80 or 81.

Coop got the chance to rescue himself at Ibrox.

Russell put the tims to the sword in the garish colours of Motherwell.

But overall careers they sacrificed.

For us.

I doubt such blind loyalty exists these days.

Pretty sure as the Rangers' end assembled that evening, news broke on the radios the 2nd hungry striker popped his clogs.

Bobby’s step up from Shettleston Juniors to Rangers in 1977 was nothing short of the single most remarkable move by a Scottish football player in the 20th century.
He fitted right into the Rangers team.
We signed Cooper, Smith and Russell just before winning the treble in 1977-78 season.
A true gent and very much an unsung hero for me.
Playing junior football to then play at the very top of Scottish football is mind blowing
Take a bow Bobby.

As above this was my first cup final (the draw on the Saturday).Went with my dad and my pal.Was supposed to go to the replay with my pal and his dad as mine was nightshift and the guy let us down.My old man wasn’t best pleased.Nearly as angry as the penalty miss in the first game.He went tonto.

Mine too. We stayed in N Yorkshire at the time and me and ma da drove up and back the same night. Was in the Smelly end. I seem to recall that Bobby Sands died that day can anyone confirm that?

Coop and DJ recalled after Davie was on the bench on Saturday and DJ not in the 13,

Russell not even capped in friendlies or Home International's when Stein was pre-figuring Berie Vogts by capping almost every Sheep, Arab and Tim.

Jim Stewart kept us in the first game.

Ally Dawson lifted the cup although DJ might have still been club Captain?

Me too. I thought he stood out like a sore thumb. I loved watching him play for Shettleston. Was so chuffed when he signed for Rangers.

Cracking goal. Sort of glad Redford missed the penalty in the first game as the replay was twice the game.
Get what you are saying mate but i was absolutely distraught when he missed that late penalty on the Saturday which would have won us the cup.

Went back for the replay which turned out to be a brilliant night scoring three first half goals at the Rangers end.......the scenes in there that night :D

Met Bobby when he played for in a charity game versus a Cumbernauld Select that I was managing for the day. There was a few mentally challengeds in the select team that tried to leave one on him but he was always a step ahead and just ghosted out the way. I had a good chat with him afterwards and he is both a gentleman and a true blue.

I was 13 when I went to that night final. Even convinced my neighbour (tim pal) to come with me. What a laugh, everytime we scored I told him to cheer or u would grass him up for being a tim.

Memory might be playing tricks, but wasn’t he a Rangers player and got farmed out by Jock Wallace to Shettleston to help toughen him up? I saw him play against Rob Roy that season and he was light years beyond anything I’ve ever seen in Junior football. It wasn’t a total surprise to see him go straight in to Rangers’ first team. Wallace was always associated with toughness and physicality but that team was full of highly skilled football players - Cooper, Smith, McLean, Jardine and Russell.

Worked a alongside him last year. An absolute gent and very humble. Loved talking football with him. A great player.

Memory might be playing tricks, but wasn’t he a Rangers player and got farmed out by Jock Wallace to Shettleston to help toughen him up? I saw him play against Rob Roy that season and he was light years beyond anything I’ve ever seen in Junior football. It wasn’t a total surprise to see him go straight in to Rangers’ first team. Wallace was always associated with toughness and physicality but that team was full of highly skilled football players - Cooper, Smith, McLean, Jardine and Russell.
No mate, he started at Possil and went down south to Sunderland I am sure, he stayed just under a year and came back to Possil. The signed for Shettleston before joining Rangers .

It was a guy called Bobby Dinnie mate. Great guy.
Don't think Dinnie was working for Rangers at the time in 1977, it was another scout who signed him for Rangers, but Bobbie Dinnie Knew Bobby Russell very well from his Possil days so for sure had a hand in things.

Pick of the goals I think in that game was Bobby's what a run and shot from what seemed an acute angle.

I actually missed it as I got caught jumping the wall and spent the game locked in a room with some junkie I vaguely knew from the hood.
They let me go well after the game was finished .

We spent 20 minutes in a cloud of black ash in the first half. Every time it started to disappear we would score again :))

Back