Plastic pitches are a disgrace, surely they have to go

The Goal Machine

That is not entertainment, it is certainly not football as we know it.

Rangers are a football team with skilful players, but they cannot show it on a pitch where every bounce of the ball is like a googly in cricket. It is a huge advantage for Livingston whose game tonight was based on long balls, long shies, taking their time at every opportunity, 6 bookings. Don’t get me wrong, they know how to play it, but for the good of the Scottish game they all have to go.

A great 3 points though but watching it was torture.

i'm just glad that despite the weather, the pitch held up and the match was played

That pitch must be worth at least 10 points a season to them. In a normal season they’d be fighting relegation and those 10 points probably keep them in the league. I’d like to see us work with the top clubs in the league to phase them out

I agree totally that these pitches shouldn't be allowed, they are a leveller for shaite like livi. At the same time though it didn't stop hamilton trying to play football against us. In fact out of all the sides we have faced it was them that showed the most intent to play football. Quite damning for Scottish football when that's the case.
The livi surface seems much worse though. I've played on better down at fives. It's a disgrace

It's like playing on a plastic carpet, no way should that be a thing in top flight football.

It just shows the lack of idea or forward thinking within the SFA, I think Warburton said a few years back there has to be a concerted effort to improve the aesthetics of the game here, yet here we are with 25% of the top league teams playing on plastic. All three clubs are benefiting both in revenue and with results because of it, it's a disgrace and the other 9 clubs should be unanimous in outing it. If Ross County can maintain a reasonable park thorough a winter there is no excuse for the others.

That is not entertainment, it is certainly not football as we know it.

Rangers are a football team with skilful players, but they cannot show it on a pitch where every bounce of the ball is like a googly in cricket. It is a huge advantage for Livingston whose game tonight was based on long balls, long shies, taking their time at every opportunity, 6 bookings. Don’t get me wrong, they know how to play it, but for the good of the Scottish game they all have to go.

A great 3 points though but watching it was torture.

Spot on. Rugby Pk and Livi's monstrosity of a pitch remove all footballing ability from us, we never ever look comfortable or convincing.

Only in Scotland would Livi get plaudits for how they play.
No wonder we're in a footballing backwater.
Not interested in hearing how it's a means to an end or whatever.
What they served up tonight would get football stopped.
served up fucking slop. no wonder the ball spends 90% of the time in the fucking sky, impossible to play on that surface.

hammer throwing jobbers, clobbering the baw up the park in the hope that they get a break, yet as you say they reap all the fucking plaudits.

its an absolute shit show. one of the worst footballing sides i've ever fucking seen. the spirit of tony pulis's honking, grim as fuckk stoke side, only with 1% of the talent and an absolutely howling pitch.

disgrace. could melt those players down for fucking glue.

Very rarely have I seen a good game on them,my football career was well over when they came in what they like to play on for guys who play still.

What a joy it would be if a huge West Lothian coal mining sink hole opened up and that shite pitch disappeared for ever.

It’s like watching a different sport on plastic. Ball pinging about all over the shop, in the air more than on the deck, no consistency to the bounce or roll. An absolute joke and an embarrassment.

Something has to be done about them or half the teams in the league will eventually have a plastic pitch if it saves money and also levels the playing field against better sides.

Still vividly remember the Scottish press going in the huff with Mark Warburton when he called them out as having no place in the top league.

There was a long ball forward that would normally have skidded way out of play but almost spun backwards due to the plastic pitch. It makes our league look utterly embarrassing.

In the summer we need to propose getting rid of those in charge again, they are not fit for purpose. Once thats done the removal of these plastic monstrosities has to be first on the agenda. Give clubs 2 years, rip it up and replace or forfeit a top flight place.

The pitch is a disgrace just like the people who run our game who will do nothing about it. Its criminal its allowed and its criminal the ones at the top are still in their positions. We need a major change, it's just a shame its really only us who can see it. Scottish fitbaw is never going to reach the heights of the EPL but without question we should be so much further ahead than we are. You dont get more passionate fans than our country has. For a lot of fans/clubs but their whole remit is to hate on Rangers and I include the ones who run the game also.

Don't get why we can't play on a surface that is flat and true.
It’s flat but the problem is that it isn’t true at all which means the ball doesn’t stay on it and the whole game is played at shin level. The only time I’ve every agreed with Brendan Rodgers is when he said he’d never seen a good game on a plastic pitch. He’s right, they are garbage and produce a worse content. Not great when the content your starting with is already poor. Take our two games as examples if you need to.

You need 2/3 touches to get the ball under control where one would do on grass. The ball bounces unpredictability but always too high.

The best tactic is taking the taking the touches out of it and punting it long for second balls. So basically just shitey Scottish football on steroids

Only in Scotland would Livi get plaudits for how they play.
No wonder we're in a footballing backwater.
Not interested in hearing how it's a means to an end or whatever.
What they served up tonight would get football stopped.

Couldn't agree more. The fact Scottish football has stooped so low to praise this kind of style just goes to show how far it has fallen.

Kilmarnock have one to generate income during the week.
The same Kilmarnock who lock 4,500 Bears at £27 a ticket out their ground.

Couldn't agree more. The fact Scottish football has stooped so low to praise this kind of style just goes to show how far it has fallen.
No wonder we struggle for league and Cup sponsorship, decent TV money and a national team comparable to what we had 70s, 80s and 90s.
An entertainment business indeed

In the summer we need to propose getting rid of those in charge again, they are not fit for purpose. Once thats done the removal of these plastic monstrosities has to be first on the agenda. Give clubs 2 years, rip it up and replace or forfeit a top flight place.
Did the top Dutch clubs not call the plastic pitch clubs in their leagues bluff, and offer to pay them for a rip up and relay to grass, maintenance and any money they may have gotten from the hires? It makes sense in that we have millions of pounds worth of talent risking their careers on that shite.

No team in the top division should be allowed a plastic pitch. We had a rule for 10,000 seat stadiums why can't we have one for plastic pitches. Crap games ball bouncing all over the place players falling over when they try to turn quick. Plastic pitches must go.

Did the top Dutch clubs not call the plastic pitch clubs in their leagues bluff, and offer to pay them for a rip up and relay to grass, maintenance and any money they may have gotten from the hires? It makes sense in that we have millions of pounds worth of talent risking their careers on that shite.

I believe they did, its not something we should have to fund but its a way out of it def

The amateurism of the Scottish Football Association and how the SPFL is run explains exactly why they allow plastic pitches in our top league.
The inability to get decent sponsors also reflects badly on them Scotland is a footballing backwater nation in terms of their professionalism.

I believe they did, its not something we should have to fund but its a way out of it def
Well there's no way the Leaugue will insist, or will there be any pressure from media or pundits, all they do is praise them for hard work, endevour etc aka going for every second ball, booting %^*& out of anything that moves, long balls, free kicks and shys. Then they moan when we get those teams pumped every year in Europe in first round v FC Rekjavick or some pish

Not a fan of them but I’m amazed that science hasn’t managed to create a decent replica for a football pitch. Maybe we just haven’t thrown enough money at it yet.

Back