Player of the (quarter) century

Probably McGregor or Davis.

Not fully woken up for some reason I was thinking since 2010 :))

So aye it’s Ferguson followed by either McGregor or Davis for me

Steven Davis just over McGregor. Club captain at one point, multiple trophies and 2 European finals.

There's not really any other contenders really.

Mentions for Tav, Davie Weir, Lee McCulloch for various reasons but that's about it. Not been a very good quarter century for longevity or trophies, for obvious reasons. Yet we had 2 European finals in that time frame.

Hence why I'd go for Davis as he was involved in nearly all the trophy wins, played in both European finals and has longevity and a huge number of matches for us.

In terms of quality, 2002/03 Barry Ferguson is the best player we've had in that time but we saw it that version for 18 months tops before he pissed off to Blackburn.

Based on longevity and service ? Can't split Davis and McGregor.

Ferguson for me.

Probably our best player from that time. Captained us to a treble, won 5 League titles, 5 Scottish Cups, 5 League Cups, part of the 2008 UEFA Cup Final team and was an absolute born winner who demanded the same from all of his team-mates.

If it wasn’t for all the carry on off the pitch that eventually led to Walter letting him go, you would say he had absolutely everything you would want from a Rangers player.

Ferguson was the best.

Davis not far away and arguably the most important. If it were not for him, I hate to think how many they would have in a row. I’m not sure he’d have been near us had it not been for his allegiance.

Reactions: TQ3
Ferguson for me, the amount of times he single-handedly dragged us through games we were not playing well in, or gave his underperforming teammates a earful to make them raise their game was unbelievable, plus he could certainly hold his own with the best.

Contribution? Steven Davis. Runner up McGregor.

Best footballer? Ronald de Boer. Runner up Caniggia.

Best value (excl Bosmans)? Tav. Runner up Novo.

Unsung hero? Kenny Miller. Runner up Goldson.

Wooden spoon (excl The Journey. I mean, come on!)? Joey Barton. Runner up Kyle Lafferty’s second stint.

Biggest underachiever? Josh Windass. Runner up Alfredo Morelos.

I couldn’t think of a top player so I have a top team

GK: McGregor
RB: Tav - yes I know I criticise but he deserves on the list
CB: Weir - best value ever
CB: Cueller - best single season by a player
LB: Numan just gets it ahead of Borna and Wallace even though he served less time
CM: Davis
CM: Ferguson (neither the above need justified)
AM: De Boer - for sheer quality and star status
AM: McCulloch - limited player but deserves his place for his attitude during and post 2012
AM: Nacho Novo - never has a player hated that scum more and got us more memorable goals
ST: Kris Boyd - numbers speak for themselves.

What I’d give to have a another Barry Ferguson come through the ranks.
Sometimes it's the manager

Barry tells the story where after plg and Walter took over

Before game he was called in early to go see him

Was shiting himself walking in and heading to his office, when he got in he basically looked him up an down and said your still captain now go effing win.

I'm sure there was more to it but good players don't become great players withour other people to show them the way.

For quality I'd go Barry, and Davis/Mcgregor for longevity and consistently doing it would be the 3 mainly

Tav is there as well behind them Weir as well

There players in that time that have given us great moments over last 25 years early 2000s to even lately in Europe some brilliant memories

It’s Ferguson by quite a distance for me.
If we are taking it since the year 2000 then we have the tail end of the successful Advocaat years (before things went to pot).
Only treble winning captain since 2000.
Only man to have captained us to the CL knockout stages.
One of two men to captain us to a European final.

Even taking into account his spell at Blackburn, the first ten years of this century for the club were, for better or worse, in many ways defined through Barry Ferguson.

Ronald De Boer for me. Think Davis or McGregor have earned it if longevity is the main criteria. But no one comes close to what De Boer was for us, except Ferguson in 2003. But i dont think consistenly he played at De Boers level that season aside.

Contribution? Steven Davis. Runner up McGregor.

Best footballer? Ronald de Boer. Runner up Caniggia.

Best value (excl Bosmans)? Tav. Runner up Novo.

Unsung hero? Kenny Miller. Runner up Goldson.

Wooden spoon (excl The Journey. I mean, come on!)? Joey Barton. Runner up Kyle Lafferty’s second stint.

Biggest underachiever? Josh Windass. Runner up Alfredo Morelos.

Tbf I'd say Kris Boyds second stint was worse than Lafferty's

Reactions: TQ3
Just based on quality it’s probably Ronald De Boer. If it’s about longevity too then Ferguson and Davis, with Barry being the superior player in his prime.

I couldn’t think of a top player so I have a top team

GK: McGregor
RB: Tav - yes I know I criticise but he deserves on the list
CB: Weir - best value ever
CB: Cueller - best single season by a player
LB: Numan just gets it ahead of Borna and Wallace even though he served less time
CM: Davis
CM: Ferguson (neither the above need justified)
AM: De Boer - for sheer quality and star status
AM: McCulloch - limited player but deserves his place for his attitude during and post 2012
AM: Nacho Novo - never has a player hated that scum more and got us more memorable goals
ST: Kris Boyd - numbers speak for themselves.
Numan just ahead of Barisic ! Papac surely ahead of him as well

Back