Players to be replaced/sold

If you watch our games, you will know that neither Davis or Defoe are done.

Defoe was our top league goalscorer last season and was averaging a goal a game.

Davis was the best midfielder in the country before the winter break and was instrumental in our midfield dominating every team in the league and some top European sides too.

What you have to do is manage their game minutes properly and not not flog them to death and fatigue them, as we did with Davis after New Year.

They will both play their part next season.

Unless we get an outstanding offer for him, Kamara will still be here.

I sometimes think I watch a different game from others judging by the comments on here .

For me Defoe and Davis were two of our best players last season when injury free . Are people just forgetting our pre Christmas form altogether? Davis was running games in the europa league ffs . Short memories .

Defoe - 3rd choice and good experience . Shouldn’t be second choice never mind first .

Davis - similar . Should be brought in for certain games if they suit him. Should not be starting

Morelos won’t be here next season
Not a chance.
It’s going to be interesting how much we get for him in current circumstances...

Ironic you say we must get real, the reality is we are never going to be able to afford a level up from Davis and Defoe, where are you expecting us to find these players.
You do know even the Belgian , Swedish, Dutch up and coming players are going for big bucks and we have just spent 3 mil on Hagi. I think you need to be realistic about the finances we have.
It gets to a stage when we need to bring in young blood,rather than relying on players who can now barely gives us 45 mins.

I think post break a lot of players could be seen as expendable if the money is right,but players who have no resale value but can offer experience and quality in bursts if managed well will rightly be with us for the coming season.
Tav,Goldson,Barasic,Kamara and Morelos could be sold should the right offer come in but we’ll see.

I'd get rid Davis and maybe keep Defoe depending on what sort of wage he was on, as he would be good to have about for the younger players, and I would also get rid of Tav, it's been awhile since we've played but I've not forgotten how c rap he is esp mentally. I'd also like to see Edmundson put out on loan.

Don't understand the clamour to sell Kamara.
Too many mistakes, hides in games when fans get on his back.... Need a real hard midfielder for me too many same sort of guys - no one who takes the game by the scruff off the neck, telling players where to move or put a dig in - a Souness time player. Not gonna be cheap but is the main thing missing.

As Stevie G was this type of player it has amazed me that we have not built a team round such a player

Defoe when called upon has been good... we just don’t adjust the way we play when he’s starting

I think Hagi and Defoe could link up well. Defoe's movements, strikers instinct combined with Hagi's creativity and ability to see things that others don't on the pitch could be very useful. Especially when attempting to unpick those packed defences at Ibrox and on the road.

My opinion is get rid of the guys we don't play or who never make the bench. Sell squad assets that are inherently replaceable.

Our squad is bloated and the mantra of 'he'll be a decent squad player' needs binned. It's a hangover from years gone by. We don't need a strong squad in the sense that we need guys who are below the required standard to make up the numbers. We've got an academy to bulk up the squad number. We don't need to add guys that the manager has zero interest in using in the squad, just for the sake of it. Our new mantra should be sign players that are either better than what we already have or who have the potential to be better than what we already have and bring through our youth talents.

Obviously some positions require more depth than others. It's always a good idea to have players on the bench who can come on and change the approach play but they need to fit the way we want to play as well.

Too many mistakes, hides in games when fans get on his back.... Need a real hard midfielder for me too many same sort of guys - no one who takes the game by the scruff off the neck, telling players where to move or put a dig in - a Souness time player. Not gonna be cheap but is the main thing missing.

As Stevie G was this type of player it has amazed me that we have not built a team round such a player
Kamara wasn't bought to be the lynchpin of the midfield, however.

Also, if you want another Stevie G be prepared to shell out 40-60 million.

Defoe was our top league goalscorer last season and was averaging a goal a game.

Davis was the best midfielder in the country before the winter break and was instrumental in our midfield dominating every team in the league and some top European sides too.

What you have to do is manage their game minutes properly and not not flog them to death and fatigue them, as we did with Davis after New Year.

One year from now their contracts will run out and would think and hope they will be released due to age and wages.
Whether they move into coaching etc, i dont know .
However we cannot look at before the winter break, thats irrelevant and does not give a true picture .
We need to judge up until we stopped playing.
In 2021,i would imagine mcgregor is in need of replacing as well.
Going to be some big arrivals and departures in the next year or so.

I don’t think a freshen up of the squad in a couple of positions would hurt.
wouldn’t be surprised to see us cash in on Kamara and maybe Goldson as well.

Can see the like of Jones, Murphy and Docherty being sold on. Out of the three I’d be tempted to keep Murphy - he can get goals at SPL level.
Jones is the only one i would keep tbh

Defoe will stay as backup, he won't be going anywhere as you won't get anyone else of similar ability. He also seems to be happy with this role as well as enjoying being at a big club again.

Davis was one of the best midfielders in the country last year. he won't be leaving this season
He really wasn’t

I think the OP is playing football manager in his head.
Defoe has not even started his new deal and you want shot of him, who would you consider brining in to replace him when he is pound for pound one of the best strikers in the league.
If we were Chelsea and pots of cash we could buy where ever or whoever but we need to be careful with cash and be glad we have someone like defoe in the team.
I .m a bit old for computer games but I see what your saying. I however believe they need replaced nothing wrong with that I seen enough 2nd half of the season for me that defoe(insane finisher agreed) can not lead the line for us he just can't do it. Do we really need to be paying him a big wage to come off the bench. Morelos needs challenged and I would rather use wages on said striker whoever it is and use a youth striker as 3rd choice just my opinion. I aint no manager so what the fook do I know lol

It gets to a stage when we need to bring in young blood,rather than relying on players who can now barely gives us 45 mins.
When was the last time you saw a Rangers manager rely on youth. It just doesn’t happen in this country. Rangers and Celtic for that matter need players ready now, you need to hit the ground running. Not many players
Are given time become good players. Hutton and maybe Adam were played, John Fleck, gilmour and a few others just did not get the chance. So I think you are mistaken if Gerrard will put his job on the line to play young blood.

Nobody mentions getting rid of Arfield. I would rather keep Kamara if I'm honest ever since seeing Arfield at Falkirk I've never been impressed.

I’d also add that I want to punt Morelos.

For me the time has come for a clean break as he can’t be relied upon for a full season and he’s probably fed up with the shit he gets here

I’d also add that I want to punt Morelos.

For me the time has come for a clean break as he can’t be relied upon for a full season and he’s probably fed up with the shit he gets here
Agreed, think Morelos needs a new challenge.
He has lost interest, i think that will happen in his career

Nobody mentions getting rid of Arfield. I would rather keep Kamara if I'm honest ever since seeing Arfield at Falkirk I've never been impressed.
He was comfortably our best player after the break. If the rest of him played at his standard the chances are we’d still have been in a title race.

Reactions: cav

I definitely agree that Davis isn’t finished, my major gripe about Defoe is that we can only play one style under him.

As I’ve said before, the idea of getting rid of all these players is insanity.

If we’re being serious about playing all four competitions this year, then we need a big squad. We need the manager to rotate players who are dead on their feet - something he’s failed to do so far, and it’s cost us - and with that in mind, we need to have players.

The likes of Jones, Docherty, Murphy etc need to be able to fill in when we’ve got the poorer sides at home if we’re going to give ourselves a chance of an extended run.

The alternative is prioritising competitions and making everything but the league secondary. I know that’s not the staunch viewpoint, but if we’re serious about the league then the last two seasons’ collapse after Christmas maybe points to the fact that we don’t have it in our legs.
We absolutely do need a squad as Rangers need to be competitive on all four fronts, we can’t just focus on the league although that’ll always be the main objective.

But we won’t be winning much if you’re turning to the likes of Jones, Docherty and Murphy to play a tricky away game the Sunday after a Euro games. Need much better quality throughout the squad.

I’d move Tav on .

He’s been here a while and still can’t get the hang of defending .
A myth peddled by the majority of the Rangers support and pundits over a a poor 16/17 season and some dodgy performances in 17/18.

Tav very rarely gets beaten 1v1, is tremendous in the air, very rarely injured, has a cracking delivery and never hides. Obviously the less he has to defend the better but how many top teams have a fullback that is better defensively than offensively?

A myth peddled by the majority of the Rangers support and pundits over a a poor 16/17 season and some dodgy performances in 17/18.

Tav very rarely gets beaten 1v1, is tremendous in the air, very rarely injured, has a cracking delivery and never hides. Obviously the less he has to defend the better but how many top teams have a fullback that is better defensively than offensively?

Not for one minute turning it into a Tav bashing ,hes our captain after all but listen when Tav fu cks up it costs us big time.

I’d like us to do something like this in the summer:
Sell: Docherty 750k-£1m, Polster 100k-275k, Katic £5m, Kamara £10m (great player but a high value asset that is the easiest of them to replace), Stewart 200k-400k, Jones 500k-750k, Barker to literally anyone who’d take him, I wouldn’t sign Kamberi and sell Morelos for £15m-£20m.
I’m basing the valuations of Morelos, Katic and Kamara based off the reports of what we want for them and the rest of them on what I think we’d get.

Ins: GK competition for McGregor (Hladky?), quality first choice ball playing centre half who is a leader, left back competition for Borna (Douglas, Meilling?), First choice defensive midfielder that won’t get bullied but is technically good as well and is a leader, midfielder that adds goals and can rotate with Jack, first choice Right winger (Skov Olsen?), two quality strikers and some competition for Kent.

All of that likely won’t happen but for me that’d be a perfect summer. Would also look to pickup a few promising players from top EPL sides who aren’t good enough for them but could be good enough for us.

The only big sale i would make for the right price is Morelos, he will be targeted by the refs from game 1. We cant afford our number 1 player to miss huge parts of the season.

When was the last time you saw a Rangers manager rely on youth. It just doesn’t happen in this country. Rangers and Celtic for that matter need players ready now, you need to hit the ground running. Not many players
Are given time become good players. Hutton and maybe Adam were played, John Fleck, gilmour and a few others just did not get the chance. So I think you are mistaken if Gerrard will put his job on the line to play young blood.
I don’t necessarily mean youth but good quality younger signings.

I don’t necessarily mean youth but good quality younger signings.
I agree good quality young players are needed, i just don't think we will ever be like Ajax and give youth a chance. I wish we were as it is a better system but not many managers will risk their jobs to play good young players over tried and trusted , even if tried and trusted are over 30.

We absolutely do need a squad as Rangers need to be competitive on all four fronts, we can’t just focus on the league although that’ll always be the main objective.

But we won’t be winning much if you’re turning to the likes of Jones, Docherty and Murphy to play a tricky away game the Sunday after a Euro games. Need much better quality throughout the squad.

That’s all well and good, but anyone thinking we’re going to sell 6/7 fringe players and replace them with another 6/7 better players in the current climate is living on a different planet.

I agree good quality young players are needed, i just don't think we will ever be like Ajax and give youth a chance. I wish we were as it is a better system but not many managers will risk their jobs to play good young players over tried and trusted , even if tried and trusted are over 30.
Do you honestly believe that Davis and Defoe can contribute enough to take the title?

Do you honestly believe that Davis and Defoe can contribute enough to take the title?
Who knows, i hope they can play their part...but not long ago both were playing premiership football.
I wish we had money and we could go and buy a younger Defoe or Davis, but it aint happening.
After Covid we are certainly needing to be prudent with cash, hence the Hagi 3 million being spread over 3 years.

The harsh truth is that as much as these players have improved us as a team and massively overachieved in Europe when it comes to the crunch domestically we're falling short.

Something needs to change. By my reckoning if we want to win the title we need to upgrade first choice players in 4 areas minimum.

Central defence
Central midfield x 2
Right sided attacker

If we sell a full back and/or Alfie that could rise to 6

At some point we're going to need to bite the bullet and sell players the manager deems as important.

I still think we'll cash in on Tav and Goldson this summer. This is absolutely our final chance to get some good money for both.

As for Alfie - Sadly we cannot rely on him over a full season for a variety of reasons. If the money is right, I'd sell him as well.

Last edited:
Playing well for half a season isn’t good enough

Well, as it turned out, it was far more than half a season, but if that's your criteria, then only probably Arfield would get pass marks after the winter break.

From McGregor to Morelos, all our players underperformed after the break.

Tbf to Davis, due to injuries, we had to play him too often and his form suffered because of that.

When players hit their mid 30s, their game minutes have to be managed, if you want to get the best out of them.

Morelos won’t be here next season
Not a chance.
It’s going to be interesting how much we get for him in current circumstances...

Why not? No way we are selling him on the cheap when we know his true value. If we get a big offer he may go but I’d bet on him being here for another season.

The harsh truth is that as much as these players have improved us as a team and massively overachieved in Europe when it comes to the crunch domestically we're falling short.

Something needs to change. By my reckoning if we want to win the title we need to upgrade first choice players in 4 areas minimum.

Central defence
Central midfield x 2

Right sided attacker

If we sell a full back and/or Alfie that could rise to 6

At some point we're going to need to bite the bullet and sell players the manager deems as important.

I still think we'll cash in on Tav and Goldson this summer. This is absolutely our final chance for both players to get some good money for both.

As for Alfie - Sadly we cannot rely on him over a full season for a variety of reasons. If the money is right, I'd sell him as well.

Why do you feel the need for a new central defence partnership, Did we not just buy Helander for 4mil. He is 27 and a Swedish international, why would we need to replace him?
A new center back, yes, i agree especially if we cash in on Goldson. If Goldson and Katic stay then there is no way we are buying a new CB pairing.
Central midfieId i would say a box to box type player on loan and another defensive holding midfielder is needed.

Who knows, i hope they can play their part...but not long ago both were playing premiership football.
I wish we had money and we could go and buy a younger Defoe or Davis, but it aint happening.
After Covid we are certainly needing to be prudent with cash, hence the Hagi 3 million being spread over 3 years.
I agree that’s why it’s a monumental task to win the title next time.They have the finances.
Id be amazed if we did,just can’t see it happening. Hope I’m wrong obviously.

I think the gaffer needs to get rid of the his bee on his bonnet regarding jones he made a silly mistake against the poets out of frustration, he was prior to that pretty good especially in Europe at times.

Back