Players to keep

Few from today showed it but can’t be many we want to see next season? Same old for so long…
We will need to keep more than we'd like.

We need to make sure those moved on are the correct ones. We can't sustain the bloated,expensive and generally useless players we currently pay.

We aren’t going to be able to gut the whole team in one transfer window. But as most have posted the leadership team need to be let go to successfully move forward.

The mentality within the squad needs to change.

Butland
Tav (If we actually had a competent squad Sterling would clearly be ready to replace him, but we need the big guy elsewhere so can't even play where he was bought)
Sterling
Ridvan (money talks and we may need to cash in to buy for other positions)
Raskin
Sima (priority signing!)
Cortes
Danilo (benefited from being out injured)

Home Grown players, Souttar, McAusland but as much for HG rules as their ability.

We need 2 centre halves, a centre mid and a no 9 plus Sima and Cortes
I'm sure Clement and Koppen will have targets, a lot will be off the radar when you look at Diomande and then the Jefte bid.

Last edited:
Butland
Souttar
Yilmaz
Sterling
Diomande
Raskin
Cantwell
Cortes
McCrorrie
Danilo
Dessers ( but not as first choice )
Sima ( if we can afford him)
McCausland ( as he’s young and could improve)
The rest can fucking do 1

We know we need 7 or 8 starting players but the reality is that we'll keep Tav, Goldson, Souttar, Dessers and Cantwell. Diomande, Cortes and hopefully Sima getting signed up will take most of our budget but won't improve the side (as they're already here).

We'll sell Butland to fund any rebuild, Lammers, Raskin and perhaps Yilmaz will bring in some cash if sold but we've to replace about 6 players with that cash.
Big pressure on our recruitment team to deliver some gems on a budget.

I can’t believe I am saying this but I would actually keep Dessers but only as a second choice striker.

Unless we are getting our money back for him then I would jump at that.

Apart from that

Sterling
Butland
Cortes
Dio
Danillo
Balogun (we need about 3 Centre halfs and he is the best of what we have and also seems to have a better attitude)
Ridvan (same as Dessers)

I will be seriously worried if Clement doesn’t sign Shankland then a defence. We need to go back to being solid defensively. Then build from there.

Butland
Ridvan
Sterling
Dio
Danilo
Cortez

Squad players not starters

Souttar
Cantwell
Raskin
Dessers
Mccrorie
Goldson

Cant buy 25 new players so need to keep some players.
Couldn't disagree more.
Fuk this squad player bollocks.
Translated it simply means not good enough.
Modern football sides rotate their starting 11, and make multiple changes during the 90 mins so every single player must be capable of doing their job and pressing every week to be included.
Enough of this paying millions in wages every season for bench warmers.

Butland, sterling and diomande. Maybe cantwell and dessers. After that I’d listen to offers for all of them and definitely see the back of tav, Goldson, borna, jack, lundstram, wright, roofe mcccausland. With thanks for their efforts but time to go.

Similar to my view, but we will sell sjb to rebuild.

I don’t think tav will go.

I see the following all staying

Mccrorie
Tav, souttar, balogun or Davies remaining,
Sterling, dio, mccausland, wright (yep)
Lawrence, poss dessers as he seems to be doing what clement wants now and Cortes
Edit to add danilo

Sjb, ridvan, goldson, poss Davies, cantwell, rabbi, dowell, raskin all sold

Roofe, lundstram, poss Leon, borna, McLaughlin, jack all ooc

Leon or Davies staying will depend on number of other defenders going, eg if goldson, ridvan go we keep Leon for a bit of continuity assuming he’s cheap.

Sima, Cortes, Diomande.

Butland, Souttar, Ridvan*, Tav*

Sterling- is a must. Raskin*

Dessers* Danilo

Ridvan if over injury issues.

Tav if Clemente signs some players to take the pressure of the captaincy off him and some sort of successor.

Raskin - surely there’s more to come from this guy, but I am not so sure now, at the moment I am thinking he isn’t any better than half the opposition in the SPL? But age on his side.

Dessers- tell you what, despite his low natural ability, he at least has some balls about him, a few players could learn something off of him. Wouldn’t mind him hanging about off the bench, but large wages.

We cant get rid of every one in the one window , unfortunately some might say.

Butland
Mcrorie

Tavernier - Think we’re stuck with him but id like to see him leave.
Souttar
Balogun

Sterling
Diomande
Raskin

Mcausland
Cortez

Dessers
Danilo

Read Clement got rid of 12 players at Monaco I think it was.
It'll be more this time.

Difference being that from the summer 2022 transfers he brought in circa £100m in the sale of those players, including £70m-odd from Real Madrid for Tchouameni.

Much easier to refresh a squad with actual money. We have very little in the way of sellable assets because our squad mostly consists of bang average players on mega money they won't get elsewhere, guys on the downslopes of their careers and perma-crocks.

I genuinely think people who expect double figure ins and outs are going to be surprised and disappointed.

Sterling and Butland. Tin hat on but unless we're getting our money back I don't mind having Dessers for the sqaud. As much as he infuriates me he has got what 21 goals? Good contribution. The rest happily see them all moved on.
He has 21 goals and 8 assists this season, obviously he can be infuriating to watch, but he has shown he can find the net, just needs to stop the constant need to set himself when he is already in a great position

I think you would all be surprised at how much a small number of very good players could improve things.

I’d be focusing on getting the right striker, a right winger, a central midfielder and a central defender.

The difference between injecting some quality, and putting a whole new team together is like night and day in terms of how we will play in July/August.

Let’s be clear, we get 10 or 12 new players, most of them take time to settle, we are knocked out the qualifiers and stutter at the start of the season and people are calling for the manager’s head in October again.

Trying not to be unrealistic in terms of the numbers of players I reckon we need to introduce at the one time. But here goes.

Need one, probably two centre backs.
Back up Left back to Yilmaz.
Preferably two midfield players - one being Diomande that we still have to buy - and the other needs to have as much impact and ability as Sterling.

I'd like to keep Sima and Cortez looked the part before injury. Supplement that with Miovski from Aberdeen and Armstrong from Killie.

Koppen may well have others in mind.

Butland. / McCrorie

Tav / Devine
CB / Souttar
CB. / King
Yilmaz / AN Other

Sterling. / Raskin
Diomande / Cantwell
AN Other. / Rice / Hagi

Cortez / McCausland
Miovski. / Dessers
Sima. / Armstrong

To leave
Goldson - his time has past
Davies - injury prone
Balogun - sadly due to age and injury
Roofe - monumental waste of resource
Jack - sadly but cannot be relied on.
McLaughlin - never contributing now
Lawrence - talented not energetic enough
Barisic - we know he's going.
Matondo - inconsistent and injury prone
Lundstram - inconsistent
Cifuentes - didn't cut it

Personally, I'd love more Rangers supporters in the team.

the most important people to leave at Tav, Goldson, borna and lundstram, We need a new ‘leadership’ and the team needs a fresh start and it’s hard to to that with them around, And that’s not a dig at any of them individually

the most important people to leave at Tav, Goldson, borna and lundstram, We need a new ‘leadership’ and the team needs a fresh start and it’s hard to to that with them around, And that’s not a dig at any of them individually
They've been here far too long. It'd be different if there was more silverware to speak of but there isn't.

I think you would all be surprised at how much a small number of very good players could improve things.
I agree.

Whatever, we think of our team right now and a lot of comment is tinged with the immediate disappointment of yesterday's result - we are much closer to them than most think.

Injuries or (in my opinion) some players determination to make themselves available screwed us - and the fact, at least three, possibly four know they won't be here next season.

I’d be focusing on getting the right striker, a right winger, a central midfielder and a central defender.

The difference between injecting some quality, and putting a whole new team together is like night and day in terms of how we will play in July/August.

Let’s be clear, we get 10 or 12 new players, most of them take time to settle, we are knocked out the qualifiers and stutter at the start of the season and people are calling for the manager’s head in October again.
I agree

A big clear out but with 4/5 quality additions backed up by younger players would suffice to start the rebuild

My only concern is that for the last 6 or 7 I've been crying out for 1 or 2 quality additions per window and been massively disappointed by the sea of cross we have signed in that time

Butland, Sterling, Diomande, Cantwell, I’d be inclined to keep Dessers but not as a first pick, a 20 a season donkey as a last resort isn’t a bad shout. Couldn’t care about the rest.

If the moneys right id like to see us sign Cortes as well

People are talking about keeping Diomande and Cortes but do we not have them on a loan to buy? So possibly still have in excess of £7m to pay for them before we keep them?

Problem is and people don’t understand, we have to pay these guys off. People with a year or two left on their contracts. And if a team wants to buy a player, the player negotiates with the club a fee to leave also. The player can point blank refuse to leave. If a club want to give rangers £2 mil for a player but aren’t paying the player anywhere near as much as they are on here then if rangers want rid, they have to give the player part of that fee.

It’s all good talking about a clear out but we are in no position to pay some of the players off. Dessers, goldson, tav, Lawrence, cantelwell, etc, all have time left on their deals. They aren’t rangers fans so they don’t actually care about the club so they’ll sit tight, take their cash until they are offered money to leave or run their contracts down.

Our board have made some grave errors in our situation with wages and contract lengths.

The new season isn’t going to be littered with massive changes.

I wouldn't shed a tear over any of them leaving except Butland and Sterling

Sadly I think with the state of our finances, we will go into next season with the bulk of the squad the same. Possibly around 6 out and 6 in.

So we can look forward to another season of ups and downs, until ultimately the calls will be to get rid of another manager.

I really, really, really hope I am wrong.

I also see everyone has forgot we still have Hagi / Lammers / Cifuentes still on our books

when you sit down and think about it we have some amount of dross in the squad.

I would keep Dessers as although he’s far from the finished product he’s improving all the time and is banging in the goals. Another season here and he could be scoring 30+

Times up for
Tav
Goldson
Wright
Lawrence
Lundstrum
Barasic
Silva
McLaughlin
Roofe
Jack

Some of who I like but injury and consistency cannot be tolerated any longer

Butland, Sterling, Yilmaz, Diomande, Dessers, Sima, Cortez, Danilo can stay, they've shown enough at times and with better played can't thrive

The rest can go. Nobody else has done nearly enough this season and have fallen off a cliff and let us down when it mattered most.

I'll be glad to see the back of:

Tav, granted his numbers are good but he's a bottler and form falls off a cliff too often when it matters and is terrible defensively in particular against Celtic.

Goldson: he's finished.

Souttar: Absolute bomb scare who consistently gifts chances to the opposition and causes panic in defense by going for balls he shouldn't. We were much more solid with Davies and Sterling thrown together than we've been with him in this side.

Borna, coward, never presses or goes for a tackle, constantly backs off players, doesn't drive forward.

Lundstram, pretty obvious.

Then the others outside those just aren't good enough

Last edited:
I would keep Dessers as although he’s far from the finished product he’s improving all the time and is banging in the goals. Another season here and he could be scoring 30+
But we might be able to get our money back for him which would help clement bring in his own man

Your head hurts just thinking about it tbh.

McLaughlin, Balogun, Barisic, Jack, Lundstram, Roofe, Sima, Silva all out of contract or loan. Given game time we need, say, five replacements.

Hagi, Cifuentes & Lammers out on loan. Only Lammers appears to be an easy sell, Cifuentes won’t want back so we might need to take a hit and Hagi ain’t a ready replacement for any of the above.

McCrorrie will want away to play, so that’s another signing required.

King never gets any game time so you’d have to say another one away for insignificant fee but shouldn’t need replacing.

Then there’s squad players commanding big wages like Dowell, Lawrence, Matondo, Wright, all of whom would take a bit of selling and would require at least two replacements given game time (Hagi might fit the bill here).

So let’s say we manage to get rid of 16 players and fees and reduction in wage bill cover commitment on Diamonde & Cortes, we still need to find funds for seven new signings to maintain current squad size.

And all that is before you start weeding out other, contracted, players who’s Rangers race should be run (Goldson & Davies for starters, potentially Lowry).

So we need a second choice goalie (who can step up if needed), cover at left fullback, two - three centre halfs, two midfielders, two - three wingers and a striker. At least one of the centre halfs needs to be first pick and probably one the midfielders and preferably the striker.

Not even close to achievable in one window given our likely budget. Unless we get good offers for players we need to keep!

The critical thing for next season is to put a spine in the team (in more ways than one for some players).
Assuming we can hang on to Butland we still desperately need a dominant centre half, a midfielder who can influence a game with telling passes and shots on target and two strikers who are good enough to score twenty plus goals here, with one of them also being mobile enough to play in Europe.
A wholesale clear out like Beale tried is a very difficult thing to achieve in one summer but it is very clear that Souttar, Barasic, Lundstram, Balogun, Dowell, Dessers, Jack, Matondo, Roofe and Wright all have to go for one reason or another.
Cantwell, Yilmaz, Lawrence, Davies and Raskin all seem to have failed to convince Clement of their ability to be consistent and/or stay fit.
Silva is unaffordable and certainly not a £35m player. Sima would be a big outlay for us on one player but might be a good buy if Tav and Goldson could be sold to the Saudis for big money. Both are the wrong side of 30 and this will likely be the last opportunity to sell for a decent fee so it maybe time for them to go.
Looking at that list it maybe shows why we've come up short for the league this year but taking on board that we won't have too much left if they're all shown the door, some of them will have to be given another year to try and turn things around.
Some also could benefit from having a better player beside them so possibly Matondo, Dowell, Cantwell, Yilmaz, Lawrence, Raskin, Tav and Goldson are the ones who deserve the chance to extend their Ibrox stay.
Much will depend on the money available to Clement so he may have to wheel and deal using anyone who has decent value.
Yesterday was disappointing but I could have written this before the match as it has been evident all season.

I'd keep butland, Sterling and diomande as the midfield pair. Yilmaz at left back and I'd probably keep cantwell if we can get him back to form but i dont think clement likes him, he really needs to stay off social media and do his talking on the pitch. Id like to keep sima if we can get him for a good price. After that anyone else we keep should be squad options. We need 2 new starting no nonsense centre backs. I think it's time to look at replacing tav, I'd be worried about losing his goals but I'm also worried relying on him to score the goals is seriously hampering us both defensively and offensively. That also means a change of captain....wouldn't know who to give it to if I'm honest. Its a shocking state of affairs that we need to rebuild a squad after we had a rebuild last summer.

Few from today showed it but can’t be many we want to see next season? Same old for so long…
Any one with less that 60% availability for selection over the season or out of contract this month should go without doubt
Then the doubtful ones need purged.
Harsh but we have just gifted scum another title and £m’s

Keep
Butland (but I would let him go if we receive a bid over £10m)
Sterling
Souttar
Ridvan (but I would let him go if we receive what we paid for him)
Diomande
Raskin
Sima (loan to buy)
Cortes (loan to buy)
McCausland - this is his first season of men's football, he's raw and has potential to be a useful member of the squad
Danilo

Go
McLaughlin
McCrorie - needs games, he's had loan spells and served as backup
Tavernier
Goldson
Davies
Balogun
Barisic
Jack
Lundstram
Dowell
Lawrence
Cantwell
Cifuentes
Hagi
Lammers
Roofe
S Wright
Matondo
Dessers (if we receive what we paid for him)

Loan Out - ideally to a bottom 6 SPFL Prem team, EFL League 1 or abroad
K Wright
King
Devine
McKinnon
Lyall
Lowry

Trying not to be unrealistic in terms of the numbers of players I reckon we need to introduce at the one time. But here goes.

Need one, probably two centre backs.
Back up Left back to Yilmaz.
Preferably two midfield players - one being Diomande that we still have to buy - and the other needs to have as much impact and ability as Sterling.

I'd like to keep Sima and Cortez looked the part before injury. Supplement that with Miovski from Aberdeen and Armstrong from Killie.

Koppen may well have others in mind.

Butland. / McCrorie

Tav / Devine
CB / Souttar
CB. / King
Yilmaz / AN Other

Sterling. / Raskin
Diomande / Cantwell
AN Other. / Rice / Hagi

Cortez / McCausland
Miovski. / Dessers
Sima. / Armstrong

To leave
Goldson - his time has past
Davies - injury prone
Balogun - sadly due to age and injury
Roofe - monumental waste of resource
Jack - sadly but cannot be relied on.
McLaughlin - never contributing now
Lawrence - talented not energetic enough
Barisic - we know he's going.
Matondo - inconsistent and injury prone
Lundstram - inconsistent
Cifuentes - didn't cut it

Personally, I'd love more Rangers supporters in the team.
Tav/Devine

Please no

Back