Players we nearly signed

Sir Know it All

And their careers after they left

I went down a weird rabbit hole looking at players we were linked with under McCoist, unsurprisingly almost all weren’t actually that good based on appearances etc and career after our link to them.

Wesley Verhoek, the Veerman of his day, was nothing to shout about and based on appearances had an odd career after we were linked, he seems like he wouldn’t have changed the destiny of our season

Ignoring the obvious and much discussed Ronaldo, Bergkamp etc any other names we missed out on who were validation of great scouting or bullets missed?

The Davis Goodwillie thread must be one of the biggest collective transfer meltdowns we had on FF the same summer.

Rivalled somewhat by the Jamie fucking Walker saga.

On the more exotic side McLeish was pretty intent on signing Etoo one summer when he played for Mallorca. Think we might have ended up with Ostenstaad and Jeffers that summer.

Trying to keep with the theme of non obvious ones. I mind under McCoist we seemed to be linked with an £8m move for Roland Juhasz.

Very random link as we were not cash rich and hadn’t spent that much in a while. However, his name kept cropping up. He’s 38 and still playing.

Were we not linked with Daniele Dichio, to the extend that I swear I saw his name on the back of a Rangers top in the megastore? This was
Around 1999 or 2000.

Thankfully we 'missed out' on big John Fartson.
Not 100% and could have been dreaming however I seem to recall from somewhere or someone that a deal to sign Samaras fell through before he signed for them, massive bullet dodged with Hartson indeed.

This was much joked about but I don’t think Eustace would have made any difference to a Warburton team, Scott Allan, I actually think would still be with us now.

Walter in his second spell also tried to get Ricardo Quaresma on loan from Inter Milan I’m sure. No idea how close it was to actually happening.

who was the wee spanish guy we kb'd for being too small but had a great career?

We had a deal basically agreed for Andreas Köpke but he kept f*cking us about for more money. We ended up getting Klos a month later so that worked out fine.

Under Smith, then McCoist, we were after Tonel of Sporting Lisbon who was decent.

90s paper rumours were insane. Some of my favourites I'd have loved at Ibrox (from memory) :

Alain Boksic
Davor Suker
Gary Mac
Gary Speed
David Platt
Paul Ince
Edgar Davids
Tony Adams
Tony Dorigo
Dennis Bergkamp
Jesper Blomqvist
Alan Shearer
Mauricio Torricelli
Antonio Conte
Emmanuel Petit
Robert Pires

Wonder how many, if any, were close.

I recall hearing on Radio 1 a female presenter saying "you heard it here first...David Platt to Rangers"
He talked about it on Clyde when we played Sampa at the Ibrox tourney. Massive 'come and get me plea'. Went to Arsenal that Summer.

My Dad worked in Yarrows and he came home one day and told me Rangers were close to signing Les Ferdinand from QPR - maybe 1993/1994.

Never been so excited.

It never happened. But found out later (can't remember quite where - it might have been one of these speakers do's or legends nights) that we almost signed him.

For about 25 years thought my Dad was full of shit.

He'd have been brilliant up here for us from early to mid 90's onwards.
Aww he would have been a perfect replacement for an aging Hateley.

90s paper rumours were insane. Some of my favourites I'd have loved at Ibrox (from memory) :

Alain Boksic
Davor Suker
Gary Mac
Gary Speed
David Platt
Paul Ince
Edgar Davids
Tony Adams
Tony Dorigo
Dennis Bergkamp
Jesper Blomqvist
Alan Shearer
Mauricio Torricelli
Antonio Conte
Emmanuel Petit
Robert Pires

Wonder how many, if any, were close.
Also held talks with Gabriel Batistuta which I’m sure Walter even acknowledged but we didn’t want to fork out £10m.
Quite mad considering we paid £12m for Tore Andre Flo only a few years later.

Paul Merson was a done deal, then Walter got wind of the NoTW Coke front page splash and Dale Gordon got to be part of 9IAR folklore

Trevor sinclair- Walter first spell
Craig Conway- 2011 ally
Murray Davidson -Walter 2nd spell/ally
Christophe berra- Warburton or Caixinha

And their careers after they left

I went down a weird rabbit hole looking at players we were linked with under McCoist, unsurprisingly almost all weren’t actually that good based on appearances etc and career after our link to them.

Wesley Verhoek, the Veerman of his day, was nothing to shout about and based on appearances had an odd career after we were linked, he seems like he wouldn’t have changed the destiny of our season

Ignoring the obvious and much discussed Ronaldo, Bergkamp etc any other names we missed out on who were validation of great scouting or bullets missed?
Messi

Back