Players who deserved to be in better Rangers Teams

Barrie mckay coming thru under Gerrard would be very exciting.

Waghorn, maybe, would've benefited from stronger coaches and better teammates

Great shout with Prytz. He was in the team when I first started going to Ibrox. Guy was absolute class

First player I thought of. Played for Malmo v. Notts Forest In European Cup Final then joined a very mediocre Rangers team.

It won't be popular but seeing Laudrup in more functional Rangers sides in Europe would have been glorious.

I really wish Laudrup had stayed for the Advocaat years.
I know he was getting on a bit by then, but could have been the difference in our European exploits that never seemed to quite come to fruition.

I really wish Laudrup had stayed for the Advocaat years.
I know he was getting on a bit by then, but could have been the difference in our European exploits that never seemed to quite come to fruition.

After an excellent World Cup in 98 he didn’t play a whole lot of football after that, injuries took their toll he was all but done by the time he hit 30.

Gattuso - could be argued he did play in a great team so maybe more of a run.

mcleod is one although think injuries have ruined him since he left.

I’d have gone for Rino Guttuso as he mainly played in our crumbling 97-98 team, but he also appeared fleetingly at the beginning of the next one before Advocaat sold him on for what in hindsight was a measly 4 million.

What an asset he could have been for us had we got a few years out of him, though our Advocaat midfield was superb those first two seasons after he left.

Deserved a stint in a quality Rangers team at any rate.

Agreed with the right team around him at the time he would have been amazing. Always thought he had far bigger potential with us with another few years. I loved his style of play but needed finesse around him.

Would agree with Lewis Macleod, think he’d fit in quite well in this current side. Gerrard coaching him could really turn him into a great player.

You could argue that Jelivic fell into that category, he did play in a pretty good rangers team, but imagine he had been in the 99/00 Advocatt team - we could have went all the way in the Champions League!

Lee Wallace.

Obviously wouldn't get in ahead of Barisic, but I would have loved for him to be surrounded by quality and lifting the flag.

Just a personal view before inevitable criticism follows

Lee Wallace is a difficult one for me. I always thought he was good, not great but his attitude was second to none.

Ally Dawson. Captain of the 1981 Scottish Cup winning team. Combination of never fully fulfilling his potential after fracturing his skull and playing in a dross Rangers team in the eighties.

I always felt like Henning berg could have had a great career with us, he was solid on the park but in a poor team and even at an advanced stage in his career he looked a solid player.

Everything Senderos wasn't really .

(Just comparing because they're bald really)
Him, Chris Burke and Alan Hutton (coming through), were the only highlights of that season.

The 3-0 game at NY was particularly horrific.

I did like cardoso but seemed a bit soft for our league. A lot of the guys i'm thinking of wouldnt have got near a better rangers team so it's kind of difficult

Kenny Miller in the Manchester 2008 squad. He could have grabbed a few goals that would have made all the difference.

John McClelland and Prtyz spring to mind also...showing my age. I do remember the latter playing and a Cooper memorial game and still having class. At Newlandsfield and think he went on to represent the St Boo of the junior game.

James Tavernier was the one that came to mind before opening the thread.
I actually think Tav has grown better with the team. When you compare his game to when he first came (when he was absolutely in a gash gers team) he is a much more rounded player, but him 2 or 3 years ago wouldnt have got into a better rangers team

Back