Players who refuse to celebrate or have muted celebration scoring against a former club.

Is it....

• Respectful and right?

Votes: 104 32.7%
  • Namby pamby, new age nonsense?

Votes: 109 34.3%
  • Not fussed either way...

Votes: 105 33.0%

• Total voters
If a player was well respected by the fans at his previous club i can understand it.

I can kind of understand it if it's a few days or a week after a transfer or so.

But players who do it it years after leaving do my head in. Have some respect for your new employer. That doesn't mean you have to go mental if you score, but celebrating normally with your team mates isn't much to ask.

Depends on the situation. What I will say is this thing where they put their hands up to symbolise not celebrating is cringe.

Circumstantial, case by case, but generally for me it's respectful.

Let's say Morelos leaves and whatever club he ends up at we ended up playing in Europe.

Now if he scored and went mental, I wouldn't hold it against him, but it would seem a bit off after the support the fans have given up, the thumping of the badge and the songs.

Any players scoring has the right to celebrate a goal, but I do respect those who don't go OTT when it's an old club.

I have said mamby pamby new age nonsense but I guess it does depend on the career the player had with Club A.

It's a crock of shit.

It must be the greatest emotion as a player to score a goal. No fan, in their right mind, can have an issue if a former player scores against their team and celebrates. Unless they act like a mongo of course.

My Favourites being Larsson at the chamber of secrets and MoJo's at the Copland. Totally contrasting celebrations.

It's namby pamby shite, that Babel one v Liverpool was laughable.

You have a duty to the club and supporters who are paying you. They don't need to do a Klinsmann or Adebayor but a hands up and a smile at least.

Depends, really. Salah not celebrating goal vs Chelsea when he hardly played for them was cringey, but when there's history between the player and the club then it's understandable like Lampard. Lafferty's belter against us as well. I wouldn't have complained if he celebrated that. There's also different types of celebration too. You can celebrate your goal, but don't run or gesture towards the fans of the team you used to play for.

Scoring goals in huge games must be the best feeling for a player, so refusing to celebrate regardless of personal history is baffling tbh

Should be compulsory to do an Adebayor every time.

Emmanuel-Adebayor-celebration-Manchester-City-v-Arsenal-2009.jpg

Muted celebrations are fine. It annoys me when players make a big thing of holding their hands up to the opposition fans and all that pish. I find that disrespectful to their current club. It's like they care more about their old fans.

Couldnae give a fck. Do what they want.

The Clyde panel fairly got tore into Kenny Miller this season when we gave him some applause going off the park at Ibrox for Dundee and he gave a light clap of acknowledgement on his way off.

Can't fcking win, let's be honest.

The Clyde panel fairly got tore into Kenny Miller this season when we gave him some applause going off the park at Ibrox for Dundee and he gave a light clap of acknowledgement on his way off.

We have a thread bemoaning Borna Barisic's apparent inability to remain fit for an extended period of time yet he got nailed that day and his assailant was given a standing ovation by a majority.

Probably because he'd just been sent off after almost snapping Barisic's ankle.

Don't think I've ever cringed at our support as much as that moment.

Remember the reaction on here when Mendes celebrated against us? Folk were going absolutely nuts.

Probably because he'd just been sent off after almost snapping Barisic's ankle.

Don't think I've ever cringed at our support as much as that moment.

True; that was absolutely rank. If he'd been subbed off, I'd have been alright with him getting a bit of acknowledgement for his service over the years, but after receiving a straight red for a horrendous challenge? Get that to f*ck.

True; that was absolutely rank. If he'd been subbed off, I'd have been alright with him getting a bit of acknowledgement for his service over the years, but after receiving a straight red for a horrendous challenge? Get that to f*ck.

Agreed. I don't particularly like the guy but I would've been totally fine with him getting some applause getting subbed off or after full time. It pissed me off no end.

Id expect the player to have some respect for the former club unless they left on bad terms. On this topic, players getting booked and fined for over exuberant celebrations is another shadey rule thats been integrated into the game.

Depends entirely on the situation. Lampard scoring for City against Chelsea, I can't remember his kind of celebration but something that like I don't have any problems not celebrating, but I don't like going out your way to show you aren't celebrating.

Players who spent 5 months on loan at a team 8 years ago who score against their old club and act like they've committed mass genocide. Get that so far to %^*&.

Can't say I'm fussed either way. I can understand it when its a legendary ex-player like Denis Law v Man Utd, Lampard v Chelsea. I'd have expected McCoist, Durrant, Cooper etc to have been the same with us.

Or even if a player had a particularly special bond with a support, Tevez and West Ham for example. They adored him and he scored the goal that kept them up and I think he was always muted when he scored against them for Man Utd and City.

In other circumstances, just a run-of-the-mill player who spent a couple of seasons at a club, I find it a bit odd. And making a big show of it is cringey as f*ck.

Fucking loved the Adebayor one. Magnificent.

When Larsson scored against them while at Barca, his response was muted.

Mine wasn't.

F*cking brilliant goal IMO.

:-D

Depends, really. Salah not celebrating goal vs Chelsea when he hardly played for them was cringey, but when there's history between the player and the club then it's understandable like Lampard. Lafferty's belter against us as well. I wouldn't have complained if he celebrated that. There's also different types of celebration too. You can celebrate your goal, but don't run or gesture towards the fans of the team you used to play for.
100%

if you are a player who has done a decent amount for the club you scored against, then I get it

Babel makes no sense as he didn't do anything for Liverpool other than get them £7m when he went out the door to Germany

I was going to say I don’t care either way but if Jack scores against dolly then I hope he gives the flock it tight.

It’s a fine sentiment depending upon how long the player was at previous club and how it went for them.

If someone had a long career at a club and some sort of status there then I’d expect a muted celebration. I’d still expect them to celebrate their goal though.

This bullshit where some players appear almost apologetic for scoring for their current club is all wrong IMO.

Depends fully on the situation. If Ryan Jack was to score against Aberdeen for example, after all the abuse they’ve given him I’d be disappointed if he didn’t celebrate like mad.

It's a mark of respect which I completely understand. I remember Henry scoring against Arsenal and you can understand why he didn't want to go OTT.

We'd be raging if a former player scored against us then went mental.

Don’t like it. Clubs are paying your wages, you want them to win and you should be happy scoring.

Players almost apologising for scoring against their old club should be pulled up for it.

Like most, I think it depends on the player and their situation when leaving a club. If they’ve left that club directly and score at their previous home stadium, I expect a wee bit of respect and a composed celebration. If for example Bale was to sign for Man U and score at Spurs, I’d understand if he didn’t celebrate but equally he’s been gone over five years so why bother ‘not celebrating’ ?
Up here, if we let a young lad go and he scored against us at his new home id have no complaints if he went OTT - if it was at Ibrox though I’d expect it to be a bit muted

As someone mentioned above the most famous one would be Denis Laws goal for city that relegated Man U

Respectful and right, or namby pamby new age nonsense?

What's your thinking behind your opinion.
It’s a personal choice by the player. Don’t understand why it would bother anyone. If they feel a connection to the club they score against and don’t go over the top with celebration then totally their choice.

The reason I never liked this guy

Kenny-Miller.jpg

No exactly muted and respectful
I don't doubt that in his second spell with us we got more out of Miller than the mentally challengeds got from his stint at the piggery, but that image is a reminder that he was a mercenary who only played for the money. That doesn't make him a bad person, but I've never considered him a hero either.

It w
That's the one that sticks in my mind.
It was the first and 'biggest' one I can recollect. It was an unusual situation even then. When you watch it though you cant help but think how slow the game was then. Fitness levels today are so much higher.

Reactions: 413

Latest posts

Back