Players you loved who maybe weren't that great

Nonsense fs. Robertson was one of the best in Scotland in his position, Numan was a genuine contender for the best in the world.
Robertson was every bit as effective for Rangers as Numan was, he may have been wrongly overlooked by Scotland but he was top class for Rangers and as I say as equal to Numan as a Rangers player.
Numan got the opportunity to play for his country on a regular basis, Robertson was denied that opportunity for Scotland but as Rangers players they were on the same level,imo

Take a chill pill son. The title of the thread is about players you liked but weren’t actually that great. It’s a sharing of our bampottery not lauding the indefensible. Nobody has named Baxter, Laudrup or Alfie. It’s about the wonderful blinkered views of brother Bears. A wee laugh.
Son? Really?

As you said the thread is about players folk liked that may not have actually been that great.

Greg Stewart is a decent shout, I’ve no complaints there - it is indeed all about opinions after all - but to then suggest Gerrard got it wrong by not playing him more takes it into a different argument, and I’m all over that baby, especially on a Friday evening after a couple of glasses of wine.

As you say though, it is just a wee laugh.

Chin chin!

Son? Really?

As you said the thread is about players folk liked that may not have actually been that great.

Greg Stewart is a decent shout, I’ve no complaints there - it is indeed all about opinions after all - but to then suggest Gerrard got it wrong by not playing him more takes it into a different argument, and I’m all over that baby, especially on a Friday evening after a couple of glasses of wine.

As you say though, it is just a wee laugh.

Chin chin!
Cheers Brother.

Without thinking about it too much...Bobby Russell (a great many players of that era knew he was a really good player but never got the full credit he deserved)
Stuart Munro. Solid!
Daniel Candias. He could have developed greatly under Gerrard.
Big Marv was limited but always gave everything.

Terry Hurlock.

You could count on one hand the number of times he gave the ball away in his Rangers career.

FBS
One was also the number of legs the opposing player usually had after he tackled them.

Stuart Munro for me.
Personification of unsung hero, nothing fancy, just a solid and dependable who saw off numerous challengers for his spot.

He blossomed late 80s, was given a B cap as I recall and was in the hunt for a WC spot in Italia 90.
Sadly he never went.

Iain Ferguson (note the spelling of Iain), Dougie Bell, Hugh Burns, Dave Mackinnon. Growing up thought they were all better for us than history proves although I don't believe any other Scottish player will have scored the winner v both Bayern Munich and Barcelona

Fernando Ricksen .

Took time for him too win over a lot of the support in his early years .
And what a Legend the man became.

I sat in the east enclosure at the time I was 15 , the name on the back of top the lot , I got a mention in the old followfollow fanzine one week ( proud day ) :)) singing Ricksen songs etc .
These were made up on the bus steaming .

Bobby McKean, Graham Fife, Billy Mathieson,the humf (Alex Miller), polaris(John McDonald), Robert Fleck, Nigel Spackman, ooh ahh Huistra, Sasa Papic,

.....so obectively not that good but you took to them.

When I was very young I liked Ian Redford, as well as Jardine, Russell and Cooper, and the rest...but his tragic suicide threw up some comments about how most people (player included) felt he had never quite won fans over or played at his best. Perhaps harsh but my images don't seem to tally with folk who were there.

Later on I had some bizarre beliefs: Alan Lowing was as good as Hutton. I believed fully in Peter Van Vossen when he signed. I suspected Emerson would be great for us.

But a genuienly odd one was Mo Edu...I believed that our fans just didn't understand the 'Makele role' and WHY he never went to ground or got stuck in. I elevated him to a misunderstood genius. Really liked him despite him being decried every week by everyone else?!?!

Anyone you took to who perhaps was no-one else's #1?

Jean-Claude Darcheville

Although eclipsed by the likes of Numan and Papac, I thought Davie Robertson was a fantastic left back for us. Pace to destroy teams and the heart of a lion.

I’d put Numan ahead of him but Robertson was probably better (marginally) than Papac in terms of ability.

Stuart Munro was Kamara levels of value for money and more than held his own in a very good team. Despite his c*ntishness in latter years, Kirk Broadfoot. Two players who made the most of limited ability.

Slightly off topic, but I'd also mention John Brown and Alex Macdonald. Under appreciated rather than not great players, certainly at international level.

Would love to have seen how good Oleg Kuznetsov would have been, if it had not have been for that injury against St Mirren
0_Oleg-Kuznetsov.jpg
ov

Pedantic but it was v St Johnstone.

Looked a player mind you!

Surprised there’s no posts suggesting Alan Gow. FF loved him back in the day.

Edit: just checked his Wiki page, some amount of clubs the lad played for. A more than decent career in the end to be fair to him.

His ball to McCoist in the OF was tremendous.
I watched the 90/91 season DVD a few months ago and it comes back to you that he was pinging balls around and into peoples feet all season, on all condition of pitch.

I remember watching him over that season and he was fantastic at being ins lace and knowing where the best ball to be played was.

Charbonnier.
He was a great goalkeeper before his injury, albeit prone to an ‘eccentric’ moment. Unfortunately his injury and that his time as No1 fell between Klos and Goram mean he isn’t quite as well remembered as he deserves IMO.
Guy was brilliant imo
A fond memory for me is him not wanting to leave the field at dunfermline as the bears belted out the french national anthem ....

Last edited:
Although eclipsed by the likes of Numan and Papac, I thought Davie Robertson was a fantastic left back for us. Pace to destroy teams and the heart of a lion.
no denying Numan was talented and Papac a great servant, but for me Robertson surpassed both of them, but he doesn’t seem to get that recognition on here. Maybe cos Numan and Papac came after him and some won’t have seen or remembered Robertson, but as you say, he was fantastic for us.

I believe Edu made us a better team despite him individually not being the best of players.

There's been loads I wanted to see given more of a run in the team, but I accept that it doesn't matter who plays as long as the job is being done.

For others in this category - I knew Vanoli was poor, but I liked his attitude at least. Always hoped he'd turn it around.
I liked Mo Edu - I thought he was dead solid and a great competitior.

David Healy springs to mind. Scored a few goals but rarely played. Didn’t really do much in his Rangers career but he was a cult hero amongthe support (Due to antics with N.I.).

Templeton was another player I loved, remember when we signed him at the time I was saying he will be brilliant for us when we were back and will definitely lift 55.

John MacDonald. He was who I would always 'go' when having a sidey with mates.
Halliday in recent years. If there's one sour note of this season it's that Halliday wasn't on the pitch when we lifted the league trophy.

.....so obectively not that good but you took to them.

When I was very young I liked Ian Redford, as well as Jardine, Russell and Cooper, and the rest...but his tragic suicide threw up some comments about how most people (player included) felt he had never quite won fans over or played at his best. Perhaps harsh but my images don't seem to tally with folk who were there.

Later on I had some bizarre beliefs: Alan Lowing was as good as Hutton. I believed fully in Peter Van Vossen when he signed. I suspected Emerson would be great for us.

But a genuienly odd one was Mo Edu...I believed that our fans just didn't understand the 'Makele role' and WHY he never went to ground or got stuck in. I elevated him to a misunderstood genius. Really liked him despite him being decried every week by everyone else?!?!

Anyone you took to who perhaps was no-one else's #1?
Is it too early to say Derek McInnes.l?
I was at a Falkirk v Rangers match at brockville.
Probably 1996 or 1995.

I was at the front of the stand. About 25 yards from goal.

Rangers got a free kick..
We were all singing build my gallows.

I was about 5 meters from McInnes, who was taking a free kick.
He didn't engage with the fans, look at me, or any of us. He was focused on the game. But he was muttering the words to the song. While he swung in a belter of a cross.

Even as a cub, (who is now 40) it made him a favourite of mine at the time.

Was never the best. But gave his all and was one of us.

I'd genuinely like to talk to him and ask him what happened. Although I'm happy how it's worked out so far.

The Tin Man ,Big Marv ,Davie Mitchell and Gregor Stevens
Sorry but Davie Mitchell was far too bad I’m afraid. Possibly the worst striker I’ve ever seen. And as for Gregor Stevens? Actually yes. Funny To think we paid to watch that pile of shit in the eighties. Makes the fact Davie Cooper stayed around more astonishing. Still loved us though.

Colin McAdam (Big Beastie)
Dave McKinnon (Mad dog)

David McKinnon for me too. Lived our dream, gave his all, but he was terrible and is a great example of why we were so bad in the early 80’s. Never Rangers class like the Big Beastie, Sandy Clark and Gregor Stevens, all Rangers men who just weren’t good enough.

Colin McAdam (Big Beastie)
Dave McKinnon (Mad dog)

David McKinnon for me too. Lived our dream, gave his all, but he was terrible and is a great example of why we were so bad in the early 80’s. Never Rangers class like the Big Beastie, Sandy Clark and Gregor Stevens, all Rangers men who just weren’t good enough.

Back