Points Per Game

McCoist’sTinHat

Official Ticketer
If we continue at the same points per game rate, we will finish the season on 92 points. Since the move to 3 points for a win, we’ve only exceeded this tally 4 times in 30 odd years (excluding the lower leagues).

Before the season started, I said we’d need to exceed 100 points to challenge for the title, with the consistency that lot were showing in the second half of the season.

I think Beale can deliver a title winning tally next season, having been here for 55 and knowing what it takes.

It’s incredible we’re on track for statiscally our 5th best league performance in the last 3 decades and the league was pretty much out of reach by November.

Reactions: ald
Tbh I think it also highlights how poor the last 20 years in general have been.

There's been far too many seasons out of reach after only a few months. We don't often lose a close title race yet have only won 6 titles in 20 years.
Yeah. It feels like when they won a league it was comfortable, and when we did it was on goal difference! The only two I can think we ran away with since the millennium was Advocaat’s second season, and 55.

To have any chance we need 100% until the end of the season and hit 100 points, even then we still need a further 4 points dropped from the filth even with a miraculous run of results

Hear this a lot, the only points they are dropping is to us. January 2nd was a killer in not applying pressure on them.
One hope is a Cup win on the 26th leads to a downturn in fortune for the fat slug
I think the World Cup break helped them hugely, McGregor bring out was able to recover and come back.

Still think there will be a couple of slips up. Nobody seem St Mirren beating them so there is hope.

OP spot on.

I've had a few arguments with guys who sit next to me "he's a luxury player", "he's lazy" etc...

He was one of our best performers in the CL and we probably wouldn't have qualified without him.

Seal the deal, Wilson.

Celtic will have a couple hole of slips, most likely draws. It’s up to us to win every game and pressurise them.
I just can't see it. We would have to win every game from now until the end of the season to win the league. That's very tough ask.

Letting Gio end our title challenge before making the inevitable decision has cost us badly this season.

Everyone knew the writing was on the wall for at least a month and hell of a lot wanted him gone in September. The board being afraid to make the call destroyed our season.

I just can't see it. We would have to win every game from now until the end of the season to win the league. That's very tough ask.
That probably wouldn’t even be enough, as don’t see that lot shipping 4 points outwith us beating them twice.

There's been far too many seasons out of reach after only a few months. We don't often lose a close title race yet have only won 6 titles in 20 years.
O'Neil seemed to change their mentality completely. He reached 90+ points every season. You at least knew you had to be fuckin at it against them at that time to win the league.

We'll more than likely need a season like 02/03 under big Eck to win it next season but we're absolutely capable. 31 wins in the league that season under him. Incredible.

Hear this a lot, the only points they are dropping is to us. January 2nd was a killer in not applying pressure on them.
One hope is a Cup win on the 26th leads to a downturn in fortune for the fat slug
We look miles ahead of them atm, a cup win could sew some serious doubt. I think we'll beat them in the final although it will be close.

2012 makes that statistic almost completely meaningless. We were pretty much title for title this millennium. There's no reason to think that wouldn't have remained the case.

But yes you are right, usually when it's tight we win it. When we don't win league, we are usually miles behind by this point of the season.

We look miles ahead of them atm, a cup win could sew some serious doubt. I think we'll beat them in the final although it will be close.

Was thinking about that this morning. Assuming we are no further behind come the time of the final, could a win be quite crucial in terms of momentum?

They did drop points against St Mirren but I think that may be the only instance, other than against us. If they continue this run of results till end of season it must surely be one of their highest points tally ever.

I don't watch them so I'm not sure how they are performing, but I do know they had a sticky patch around October where they could easily have drawn another 2 or 3 games. If we beat them in the league cup final I think a small chance for us may appear but it would take winning both remaining old firms and them to draw 2 more games

You can't say that when last night was our 1st good 90 mins performance under Beale.
OK but we are clearly improving and on an upward trajectory. I think they look fairly stale from what I've seen, granted they have been getting results. I do think they'll hit a poor result somewhere so we have to give 100% even if the opportunity to catch them seems remote.

Our 7 away matches under Gio had 3 wins, 2 draws and 2 defeats. We have 6 wins from 6 under Beale. If we had avoided dropping points v St Johnstone and St Mirren, it would be only 4 points between us. The League Cup final is massive for confidence.

Let’s hope we can keep our good form going - win the final and keep winning, put as much pressure on them as we can before the next game at Parkhead

The Livvy, St Johnstone and St Mirren trilogy of dropped points in October/November burst the ball for the season.

Right now it’s about getting the players into the habit of winning and winning well to hit the ground running next season. Beale is very much on course to do that and securing both the cups would really swing the pendulum our way.

The positive for me looking at that stat is that we still don't have all of our players back yet and we looked the strongest yet last night. If we continue to play like last night for the rest of the season (including the scum) with more players coming back to ultimately strengthen the bench too then we won't be far away from them at the end of the season. We are coming from a position of an injury ravaged team with low morale to a dynamic hungry team with high morale and the scum are due some bad luck or injuries at some point. We just need to keep the pressure on them by winning every game and see where we are come the end of the season. All I ask is that every performance going forward is like last night's!

I think the World Cup break helped them hugely, McGregor bring out was able to recover and come back.

Still think there will be a couple of slips up. Nobody seem St Mirren beating them so there is hope.
I think it helped us more. If we had 3 games in a week after that St Mirren game, we could easily have been 15 points behind.

They lost their captain and won every game. It didn’t affect them in the slightest.

If we continue at the same points per game rate, we will finish the season on 92 points. Since the move to 3 points for a win, we’ve only exceeded this tally 4 times in 30 odd years (excluding the lower leagues).

Before the season started, I said we’d need to exceed 100 points to challenge for the title, with the consistency that lot were showing in the second half of the season.

I think Beale can deliver a title winning tally next season, having been here for 55 and knowing what it takes.

It’s incredible we’re on track for statiscally our 5th best league performance in the last 3 decades and the league was pretty much out of reach by November.
Tells you more about how far behind the “provincial” clubs are.

A classic case of facts not telling the whole story?
We went into admin half way through one season, weren’t in the next four and were hamstrung for two or three after that.
Handing, probably, eight titles to the scum.
That tells us their genuine wins have been around six as well.
The record books are skewed!

how poor the last 20 years in general have been.
Did you only just wake up and read the highlights or something.

The process to obliterate Rangers started not long after the 2008 final and was halted not long before the 2022 final.

Back