Political Adverts

Ardoyne RSC

I noticed at least four at St. Boo's ground today - 2 with politicians names, one for the Scottish Nazi Party and one for Scottish Labour. There are also adverts at some other grounds. I thought this was not permitted under UEFA regulations.

But even if they were, a question. Supposing the BNP (and I can't abide them either, and I don't care who I offend) or Sinn Fein ( or any legal party) applied to pay for an advert at a Scottish ground.
Surely the club(s) in question would have to allow it, as refusing it would be discriminatory. Just like the Ashers Bakery / Homosexual slogan case. It would really stir the shit.

I agree this should not be allowed at football grounds. Politics and sport do not mix as we all know. If they are allowed, then the fans should have political banners on display as well. Whatever political party they wish can be displayed as you said, even the extreme ones. I am surprised that UEFA have not said anything about it as a party in government are assisting a football club, by paying money for sponsorship.

Was having the same discussion with my father in law when watching the game. We are forever being told football, politics and religion shouldn’t mix yet political advertising is allowed.

If you are so minded you can ask the Scottish Parliament if these adverts were paid for using the Parliament’s funds.

MSPs are not allowed to show party allegiance on the shop fronts of their constituency offices and any political organisation references on the newsletters that some chose to send out has to be absolutely minimal.

George Adam’s advert at St Boo in both colour and message looks pure and simply like a ‘please vote for me’ message. If he has paid for that personally or if it has been paid for by his Party then it is fine. However the Parliament’s money cannot be used to promote a political party.

I noticed at least four at St. Boo's ground today - 2 with politicians names, one for the Scottish Nazi Party and one for Scottish Labour. There are also adverts at some other grounds. I thought this was not permitted under UEFA regulations.

But even if they were, a question. Supposing the BNP (and I can't abide them either, and I don't care who I offend) or Sinn Fein ( or any legal party) applied to pay for an advert at a Scottish ground.
Surely the club(s) in question would have to allow it, as refusing it would be discriminatory. Just like the Ashers Bakery / Homosexual slogan case. It would really stir the shit.

I brought this up last year. Was the same at East Fife last weekend. SNP adverts. I though UEFA and guidance to FA’s were clear on this.

I've said on a previous thread on this subject.

" Why would you risk alienating your fans of other political ideologies" Stupid.

There's a Conservative one at Airdrie.
Many grounds have SNP.
St Mirren have had Labour for ages.
Suppose it's just like having an advert in the street but it must be skirting the line of UEFA/FIFA political interference.

I agree this should not be allowed at football grounds. Politics and sport do not mix as we all know. If they are allowed, then the fans should have political banners on display as well. Whatever political party they wish can be displayed as you said, even the extreme ones. I am surprised that UEFA have not said anything about it as a party in government are assisting a football club, by paying money for sponsorship.
If UEFA have allowed the rulers of Qatar and Abu Dhabi to own football clubs, despite peddling lies that advocate keeping politics out of football, I think it’s unlikely they will have anything to say about this, rightly or wrongly.

I brought this up last year. Was the same at East Fife last weekend. SNP adverts. I though UEFA and guidance to FA’s were clear on this.

Does uefa’s guidance include advertising hoardings ? I’ve only seen stuff regarding players equipment and fan displays.

The main point I am making is if you take an advert for one politician / political party, when you would be legally obliged to take adverts for them all, or end up in court. Think of the shit storm that could cause.

also noticed that and thought it was weird and shouldn't be allowed if they don't want politics in football

It’s an spfl competition.
UEFA don’t have any power here.

Latest posts

Back