Popescu article in The Athletic

UlsterScotGer

He talks about how little they knew about ‘western’ football while behind the Iron Curtain.

Goes on to say this...

“I remember playing at Ibrox for Steaua and at that time I was in the army. We had to do a year of military service so they said to me, ‘Do you want to play for Steaua or be in the army?’, so I said ‘No, I’m going!’. That was one of my first contacts with the outside world. Ibrox was one of the most beautiful atmospheres I’ve seen in the footballing world. The fans put so much pressure on you.

“Rangers were a very aggressive team too. After ten minutes (Graeme) Souness just kicked (Iosif) Rotariu up here,” he says, pointing to his thigh. “He should have got ten red cards for it.”

From memory, the magnificent b.astard had been on the wrong end of a calf high tackle shortly before his intense retaliation .

From memory, the magnificent b.astard had been on the wrong end of a calf high tackle shortly before his intense retaliation .
Thats right cos as the ref blows souness then points to his calf as if to say what bout that one ... as if to justify it ..... souness took no shit thats for sure

I was at this match and was behind the directors' box. A certain Mr Ceaușescu was in front of me so I'm told.
I thought GS had taken the fellas baws off. Straight red.
Think they went on to win this that year.

Back