Port Glasgow RSA RSC... Big Paul - Funeral Services - Mon 28 (Falkirk) & Tue 29 (Greenock)

SM™

Staff member
FUNERAL ARRANGEMENTS ADDED - CLICK HERE

Last Tuesday night I was doing my usual weirdo nonsense by ignoring the Champions League to take in Partick Thistle against Queen of the South. Phone went in the closing stages of the 1st-half, and it's my dad, or Old Grumpy as he's affectionately known.

He was saying one or two words, then stopping. I got the fright of my life. Thought he was having a heart-attack and he'd remembered he needed to phone and moan at me for not shaving before running towards the light.

It was actually a display of emotion from a guy who's done that only once before. He told me my big wee cousin Paul had died.

"Bawheid!" to me. "Big Paul" to everyone else.

You know those gentle giant types? The sort you've never heard anyone say a bad word about? I bet even Joe O'Rourke would've liked him, especially with a name like Paul. (My granda didn't talk to his maw for about 3wks because of that!)

EVERYBODY knew him.

But I had the good fortune to grow up with him.

We were at our grandparents house together each weekend
We were in Clune Park Primary together - P1 & P7
We went to Juveniles together
We sat in Row I Seat 34/35 of the Copland Rear
We were first and third on the Bouverie ticket list, because I was more loyal than he was

We attended footballing abortions such as Dalbeattie Star vs. East Stirling for reasons of ironic humour, soul-crushing boredom, and both of us yet to find the one woman daft enough to take us

And when big Mark announced he was off to Portugal for the Sporting Lisbon game on the day of my wedding that saved me thinking about it, and Paul was my Best Man, receiving a bottle of Blue MD20/20 and a collectors edition Coronation Street clock, retailing at 50p in Wilkos.

She took so long getting out the motor that Baby I Love You by the Ramones had finished and gone on to I Can't Make It On Time! Then all round for a Businessman's Lunch.

Even though he never, ever gave me the £13 for that Dunfermline ticket that he owed me, we both grew up without brothers and sisters, so I basically regarded him as my wee brother.

Fair to say I'm not the only one who'll miss him.

You don't expect it at that age, and Paul didn't have life insurance so Jen has set up a Just-Giving. The URL in the Greenock Telegraph isn't entirely correct, so I'll post it here.

Jennifer spent last year in an unknowing, terrifying, battle with cancer and this means that she still isn't working. Not only that, in the middle of her radiotherapy sessions she was hit by Covid-Pneumonia and was lucky to survive that, let alone the other. She is truly an extraordinarily brave woman.

And lovely little Lucy was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes too just recently. Lucky white heather, eh? I've never seen a family have a year like it, and I'm honestly just numb.

(Please put aside your feelings regards me. He was as much one of the nicest people you could ever hope to meet as I am an arsehole, and I'm happy to admit that. I'm not a nice person. He was the Best Man in more ways than one. Goodnight, Bawheid. I love you Cuz.)

Last edited:
Utterly tragic and so easy a thing to happen. Been there but managed to dislodge the food .(it was also steak)

Condolences OP

I recall the night we went to the Berwick Rangers match in the Scottish Cup, and what with Paul being unable to hold his Electric Lightning 9% cider and having a Catholic name he was unable to hold his urine, and he begged me to pull in pronto.

So into this wee place called East Linton, and there's houses on the left so he decides to relieve himself on my motor. The cheeky sod.

So I stick the boot down and get 100yds down the road, leaving him beside the A1 with his willy on display to passing traffic and supporters buses.

At least Police Scotland can now close off the investigation into the A1 flasher. No Jack the Ripper case for our Boys in Blue.

Sincere condolences for your loss. Tragic news. He was a year younger than me, far too young to go.

You both sat very near to my old seat in the Copland.

Sounds like he passed away far too young but left a lifetime of memories.

My sympathy to you and all his family and friends.

Rest Easy Paul. Fantastic tribute, well done mate. Sincere condolences to yourself, his wife, and all family & friends, he was taken far too soon.

I've added in the link to the Just Giving.

My wife was so keen to get me life insurance that I keep expecting anthrax in the curry sauce.

Honestly, had it been me? I wouldn't have taken out life insurance at that age either, because you get a free clock or a free Parker pen from June Whitfield or Windsor Davies or someone like that with the over 50 plan.

Just £1 lessens my chance of getting hit with a piece with one miserable slice of chicken roll on it.

Together we can get Coronation Chicken.

Another memory, from the time we went to Dalbeattie, a place so far back in time that they had on their High Street not just a Bible Shop, but a white newsagent.

I can't remember if it was the regular way of getting down to Dumfries, but I'm thinking it isn't as I love a detour. We took ourselves through the Forest of Ae, and I've never been on a road like it. There were traffic lights just after blind bends on a country road with little of no warning. It was like one of those rally things they'd show on Grandstand, just before Desmond Douglas came on to win at Table Tennis again.

As ever, Paul was desperate for a slash, but the road was so narrow and bendy that we had to wait for it to straighten out a bit, and there were houses not any more than 100yds up the road. Paul gets to a tree and an old guy appears with two dogs...

Me: Scuse me mate, whit's the name of the forest back there?

Old guy: Ae, son.

Me: AH SAYS WHIT'S THE NAME O' THE FOREST? YE KNOW, THE BIG GREEN HING WI' AW THE TREES N'AT

Old guy: No, no, that's its name son. The Forest of Ae...

And he starts giving me a sodding history lesson like Tom Weir, while Paul's up against a tree with his willy out and his body moving because he's buckled!

My wife and I took out life insurance last year, a lot later that we should have. If you have kids and/or are married, get a policy - it doesn’t have to be much but will help your loved ones immeasurably if the unthinkable happens.

Sorry for your loss, SM. An awful story and thoughts are with the family.

Another memory, from the time we went to Dalbeattie, a place so far back in time that they had on their High Street not just a Bible Shop, but a white newsagent.

I can't remember if it was the regular way of getting down to Dumfries, but I'm thinking it isn't as I love a detour. We took ourselves through the Forest of Ae, and I've never been on a road like it. There were traffic lights just after blind bends on a country road with little of no warning. It was like one of those rally things they'd show on Grandstand, just before Desmond Douglas came on to win at Table Tennis again.

As ever, Paul was desperate for a slash, but the road was so narrow and bendy that we had to wait for it to straighten out a bit, and there were houses not any more than 100yds up the road. Paul gets to a tree and an old guy appears with two dogs...

Me: Scuse me mate, whit's the name of the forest back there?

Old guy: Ae, son.

Me: AH SAYS WHIT'S THE NAME O' THE FOREST? YE KNOW, THE BIG GREEN HING WI' AW THE TREES N'AT

Old guy: No, no, that's its name son. The Forest of Ae...

And he starts giving me a sodding history lesson like Tom Weir, while Paul's up against a tree with his willy out and his body moving because he's buckled!
Brilliant. :))

So sorry for the loss of you "wee brother", Thoughts and prayers are with his wife and daughter.
I didn't know Paul, despite going to the same primary and high schools, and indeed the same BB company, as I'm a bit older and been out of the town for many years.
Nice tribute to Paul, he certainly seemed to be a lovely guy.

I've added in the link to the Just Giving.

My wife was so keen to get me life insurance that I keep expecting anthrax in the curry sauce.

Honestly, had it been me? I wouldn't have taken out life insurance at that age either, because you get a free clock or a free Parker pen from June Whitfield or Windsor Davies or someone like that with the over 50 plan.

Just £1 lessens my chance of getting hit with a piece with one miserable slice of chicken roll on it.

Together we can get Coronation Chicken.

this.... if you have a mortgage on a home and/or a partner and/or kids, you must have life insurance, non-negotiable.

so sorry to hear this SM, hope you and the family are well, what a tragic story.

My wife and I took out life insurance last year, a lot later that we should have. If you have kids and/or are married, get a policy - it doesn’t have to be much but will help your loved ones immeasurably if the unthinkable happens.

Sorry for your loss, SM. An awful story and thoughts are with the family.
The saddest thing of all, and just being reminded of this brings tears to my eyes, is that Jen got pregnant maybe 2-3yrs ago and miscarried.

As close as we were I didn't give my son his name as a middle name. Because it's a Catholic name, and I agree with Old Grumpy Snr.

Last Tuesday night I was doing my usual weirdo nonsense by ignoring the Champions League to take in Partick Thistle against Queen of the South. Phone went in the closing stages of the 1st-half, and it's my dad, or Old Grumpy as he's affectionately known.

He was saying one or two words, then stopping. I got the fright of my life. Thought he was having a heart-attack and he'd remembered he needed to phone and moan at me for not shaving before running towards the light.

It was actually a display of emotion from a guy who's done that only once before. He told me my big wee cousin Paul had died.

You know those gentle giant types? The sort you've never heard anyone say a bad word about? I bet even Joe O'Rourke would've liked him, especially with a name like Paul. (My granda didn't talk to his maw for about 3wks because of that!)

EVERYBODY knew him.

We were first and third on the Bouverie ticket list, because I was more loyal than he was

We attended footballing abortions such as Dalbeattie Star vs. East Stirling for reasons of ironic humour, soul-crushing boredom, and both of us yet to find the one woman daft enough to take us

And when big Mark announced he was off to Portugal for the Sporting Lisbon game on the day of my wedding that saved me thinking about it, and Paul was my Best Man, receiving a bottle of Blue MD20/20 and a collectors edition Coronation Street clock, retailing at 50p in Wilkos.

She took so long getting out the motor that Baby I Love You by the Ramones had finished and gone on to I Can't Make It On Time! Then all round for a Businessman's Lunch.

Even though he never, ever gave me the £13 for that Dunfermline ticket that he owed me, we both grew up without. brothers and sisters, so I basically regarded him as my wee brother.

You don't expect it at that age, and Paul didn't have life insurance so Jen has set up a Just-Giving. The URL in the Greenock Telegraph isn't entirely correct, so I'll post it here.

Jennifer spent last year in an unknowing, terrifying, battle with cancer and this means that she still isn't working. Not only that, in the middle of her radiotherapy sessions she was hit by Covid-Pneumonia and was lucky to survive that, let alone the other. She is truly an extraordinarily brave woman.

And lovely little Lucy was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes too just recently. Lucky white heather, eh? I've never seen a family have a year like it, and I'm honestly just numb.

(Please put aside your feelings regards me. He was as much one of the nicest people you could ever hope to meet as I am an arsehole, and I'm happy to admit that. I'm not a nice person. He was the Best Man in more ways than one. Goodnight, Bawheid. I love you Cuz.)
Courage brother, do not stumble.

I couldn't believe my eyes when I read the tele this morning SM , i can add nothing to the fine tribute you have already paid Paul in the OP .
So So sorry for your Loss , my thoughts are with you and your family
RIP Paul

EVERYBODY knew him.

Even though he never, ever gave me the £13 for that Dunfermline ticket that he owed me, we both grew up without. brothers and sisters, so I basically regarded him as my wee brother.

No words mate,just tears so sorry for your loss and thoughts with the family at this sad time!

Rip. Really sad to read but I'm glad you had so many good times. Heartfelt sympathies to his family.

Back