Portsmouth goalkeeper Craig MacGillivray

Hank Hill

RANGERS are tracking Portsmouth goalkeeper Craig MacGillivray.

Light Blues boss Steven Gerrard is on the lookout for a new keeper for next season and could make a January bid for the Pompey ace.

Gers’ veteran No1 Allan McGregor turns 38 next month and though he is likely to get a new deal, Gers are looking for someone to add competition.

With back-up Wes Foderingham expected to leave in the summer, Gers have been scouting a number of keepers across England and Scotland.

And MacGillivray, who this season was called into the Scotland national team squad for the first time, has caught the eye.

The 26-year-old has made a big impression at Fratton Park in the 18 months since he joined from Shrewsbury.

Pompey would not want to lose him at such a crucial stage in the season and would far prefer doing a deal in the summer if they were to lose him.

He is valued at around £2.5million by the south coast club, who also know there is interest from Championship sides Huddersfield and Birmingham.

Anyone spending 2.5 million on a mid 20's league one keeper is off their nut

McCrorie should be McGregor's backup next season and im sick of the he needs game time excuse. He's gotten plenty over the last couple of years on loan, if he's not given a chance next year we may as well do him a solid and let him go because he'll never get a chance

McCrorie should be McGregor's backup next season and im sick of the he needs game time excuse. He's gotten plenty over the last couple of years on loan, if he's not given a chance next year we may as well do him a solid and let him go because he'll never get a chance

Generally agree, but it's worth remembering McCrorie even next year will still be a lot younger than McGregor was when he got his chance.

Generally agree, but it's worth remembering McCrorie even next year will still be a lot younger than McGregor was when he got his chance.
It's more the timeline of both of their careers. If McGregor retires and McCrorie still hasn't been given a chance to prove himself then obviously the club are going to go out and sign a new #1 keeper and McCrorie is never really going to have a honest chance to make himself the number 1. I cant see McGregor going any longer than after next season so we should be giving McCrorie the opportunity to show what he can do as the back up next season and if he shows the potential we've heard about for years now then we could be potentially looking at our new #1 for a decade. I like Wes and he's been here a while now so i wont throw him in the comparison but i would hate to see us waste a wage on another Jak Alnwick that you know will never be good enough to be our #1 but blocks opportunities for others

It's more the timeline of both of their careers. If McGregor retires and McCrorie still hasn't been given a chance to prove himself then obviously the club are going to go out and sign a new #1 keeper and McCrorie is never really going to have a honest chance to make himself the number 1. I cant see McGregor going any longer than after next season so we should be giving McCrorie the opportunity to show what he can do as the back up next season and if he shows the potential we've heard about for years now then we could be potentially looking at our new #1 for a decade. I like Wes and he's been here a while now so i wont throw him in the comparison but i would hate to see us waste a wage on another Jak Alnwick that you know will never be good enough to be our #1 but blocks opportunities for others

Totally agree, but I just think that as a GK he's not "timebound" if you like, in the way outfield players tend to be. If there is someone else between McGregor and McCrorie succeeding him, I don't think we would let him go if it was a buy low sell high project, but if this Macgillvary is a future Scotland keeper then perhaps he is the long time successor? Who knows, likely pure pish from pish papers.

Back