Portsmouth vs Oxford: Ross McCrorie Starts.

To be honest we missed Docherty more than we missed Ross. Docherty is fitter, more athletic and dynamic and would have offered some drive from midfield.

On that evidence Ross McCrorie is not a good enough right back for Portsmouth nevermind Rangers.

Wasn’t McCrorie a centre half coming through the youths? That’s certainly where Pedro played him. Murty then shunted him into midfield and now Portsmouth have him at RB. He needs a run in one position rather than being a utility type player.

Tin hat on, I’m not sure he’s good enough to play in midfield for Rangers. He suits certain games, especially away from home but I often felt he didn’t have enough quality on the ball to play in our midfield.

Being a CDM should be his focus, but i would be very surprised if it was with us. He’s a fantastic player but just not playing where he should be, disappointing watch.

Reactions: Gee
Anyone suggesting Ivan Toney or any other player playing in this league is worth 5 plus million is on crack

From the Peterborough Telegraph:

Posh are believed to want a fee in the region of £10 million for Toney who scored 26 goals in a shortened 2020-21 season. It’s understood they turned down an offer of £8 million in January from Championship promotion contenders Brentford who remain interested in the 24 year-old.

On that evidence Ross McCrorie is not a good enough right back for Portsmouth nevermind Rangers.

Unfortunately this is true. His delivery was nowhere near good enough, a great example of that just ahead of being substituted.

A huge shame, I still think he could be a fantastic defender but since it’s been decided he can’t play at the back he’s struggled to find enough in any other position.

I don’t see why he can’t be a squad player that’s average in different positions although I believe he is competent in CDM. I don’t know if it’s because of the initial hype that people don’t want that to be the scenario. What’s wrong with him being a Bob Malcolm/Maurice Ross because he’s not going to be a Barry.

Wasn’t McCrorie a centre half coming through the youths? That’s certainly where Pedro played him. Murty then shunted him into midfield and now Portsmouth have him at RB. He needs a run in one position rather than being a utility type player.

Tin hat on, I’m not sure he’s good enough to play in midfield for Rangers. He suits certain games, especially away from home but I often felt he didn’t have enough quality on the ball to play in our midfield.
He was a centre half primarily but played right back on quite a few occasions. I think he would be good on a back 3 but he really does need to nail ONE position at some point.

He's a very efficient blocker.
His best time for us was the Aberdeen game when he 1st came into the middle and the period after that, when we needed a 'stopper' in midfield who could drop in to the defence as teams were quite often getting on top of us in that area (because we were shite basically).
He's not a good footballer (in terms of use of/possession of the football) sadly.

I don’t see why he can’t be a squad player that’s average in different positions although I believe he is competent in CDM. I don’t know if it’s because of the initial hype that people don’t want that to be the scenario. What’s wrong with him being a Bob Malcolm/Maurice Ross because he’s not going to be a Barry.
If he is happy to not even be on the bench most weeks then I’m sure we wouldn’t mind.

If he has ambition to improve as a player he’ll go elsewhere.

From the Peterborough Telegraph:

Posh are believed to want a fee in the region of £10 million for Toney who scored 26 goals in a shortened 2020-21 season. It’s understood they turned down an offer of £8 million in January from Championship promotion contenders Brentford who remain interested in the 24 year-old.

I am aware. I am just saying the quality is shit.

Not watched him at Pompey at all really but watching the second half of this one and see Kenny Jacket switched him off for a more defensive minded RB.

Considering he is meant to be a CB that's probably a bit worrying.

Not the first time McCrorie has been poor for Portsmouth at right back. Certainly don't think that is his best position.

Defensive minded midfielder or not at all IMO. Would love him to make the grade at Rangers but he's just not at that level and probably will never reach it.

He will carve a good career for himself down South.

Just tuned into this. I see he has been taken off. Injured ?? Just not playing well??

FWIW - I've nevet really thought he had a future at Rangers.

Think pebo were in the championship at the time. He was also on loan eh...

Aye but the point was judging another player on the quality of this one off game. These 2 are in the playoffs so good chance of being championship next year.

Joe aribo was a league 1 player when we signed him too

Aye but the point was judging another player on the quality of this one off game. These 2 are in the playoffs so good chance of being championship next year.

Joe aribo was a league 1 player when we signed him too

And I wouldn't have signed him or any other player in the league for anywhere near 5 million let alone 15. My point was that watching the playoffs the standard was so poor if you compare it to say us in Europe or old firm etc that no-one in this league can seriously charge that amount of money for a player.

And I wouldn't have signed him or any other player in the league for anywhere near 5 million let alone 15. My point was that watching the playoffs the standard was so poor if you compare it to say us in Europe or old firm etc that no-one in this league can seriously charge that amount of money for a player.

BirminghamCity are getting £20m from Dortmund for a 17 year old. It’s mental down there :oops:

Spot on mate.

If we signed him from somewhere people would be wondering why.

mccrorie is never a right back in a million years, I’ve said plenty of times mental he’s being put in that role and should have left posh at Xmas

If he goes to Dortmund, plays as well as he can then he'll be sold for upwards of double that.

Football is not fucked. We're just not at the top and we're upset about it.

Peterborough are not at the top. They are mid table in the English 3rd division. Joey Bartons Fleetwood are ahead of them.

It's all relative really. It's like comparing a 2 bed semi in Glasgow with one in West London.

Fwiw, I wouldn't be paying £5m for him either. Not because I don't think it's possible he'll be good enough, but because it's a risk that we won't be and we can't afford risks with that level of cash.

Surely when we put players out on loan we tell the team what position we want them played in i.e if Gerrard sees Ross as a DCM we wouldn't be punting him to pompey to play RB

There is no way he is good enough to play in our midfield. Look at the technical ability of Aribo and Kamara, although young and inconsistent they are miles ahead of him.

Said it months ago his loan was a complete waste of time should have been given to a team who would play him in the DM role.

Should have been recalled and sent back out again imo.

Rangers should have brought him back and got him an appropriate loan that was going to be useful for him we really must improve on that aspect of things if he is not playing the correct position we see him developing into or not playing at all well he would be better off here and used when required with his versatility.

Surely when we put players out on loan we tell the team what position we want them played in i.e if Gerrard sees Ross as a DCM we wouldn't be punting him to pompey to play RB

When he first went he played centre midfield but lost his place there following suspension. Their form picked up without him and his only route back into the team was at full-back. Basically it was play full-back or don’t play at all.

I always thought McCrorie should have been loaned out strictly as a centre half ideally next to an experienced guy to learn positional sense. He lacks enough creativity for midfield but has the potential for centre back. He’s strong fast and good in the air, and adequate enough on the deck. I still think another loan spell under those strict constraints may pay dividends as a last throw of the dice.

Not the first time McCrorie has been poor for Portsmouth at right back. Certainly don't think that is his best position.

Defensive minded midfielder or not at all IMO. Would love him to make the grade at Rangers but he's just not at that level and probably will never reach it.

He will carve a good career for himself down South.
I would be surprised if he does to be honest.

My guess is sheep shaggers, Hibs or Hearts within a couple of years.

Back