Possible Euro '24 Squad Increase From 23 to 26

Is an increase necessary?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PhilippeTheFair

I remember going to a Tournament with 2 players for every position was deemed more than adequate.

UEFA will consider a possible increase in the size of squads for Euro 2024 at a meeting next month.

A number of coaches have called on European football’s governing body to allow countries to take 26 players to Germany instead of 23, a move England boss Gareth Southgate may be glad to accept as he deals with a number of injuries.

“We have taken note of comments expressed by some national team coaches on the squad size for Euro 2024,” UEFA said in a statement released on Friday.
“A workshop with the participating teams will be held on 8 April and on that occasion UEFA will listen to the views of the coaches.
“Any idea in this respect will then be considered and assessed.”

This summer’s finals is the first time since the 2018 World Cup that national team managers are having to pick a 23-man squad for a major tournament after it was expanded to 26 following the coronavirus pandemic.

Speaking after his side’s 2-2 draw with Belgium at Wembley, Southgate said: “It seems to be (settled at 23).

“There is one more UEFA meeting where there’s been a little bit of talk amongst some of the coaches about possibly increasing that.”

That meeting will be part of a wider finalists’ workshop on April 8 and 9 in Dusseldorf, where Southgate will not push for 26 but will accept it if the decision goes that way.

Southgate, who has previously said it is a “bigger skill to pick a 23”, was asked if he was in favour of a move to an expanded selection and said with a smile: “Well, given where we are now!

“We’ve got to make the best decisions with what we know and some of those currently are going to be medical decisions.

“And we’ve been able to get those right in the previous tournaments. We’ve been able to give people time, but with 23 that’s definitely more difficult.”

The demands on modern players are far greater now than they used to be.

Its a minor increase, but enough to let managers rotate a bit more and not play players carrying injuries.

It actually makes a fair amount of sense, certainly not something worth getting upset about.

The demands on modern players are far greater now than they used to be.

Its a minor increase, but enough to let managers rotate a bit more and not play players carrying injuries.

It actually makes a fair amount of sense, certainly not something worth getting upset about.
It’s FF mate, of course people will be upset.

no..... favours the bigger countries who already have the majority of best players

If the top players are expected to being playing almost all year round, then the game has to adapt to accommodate that.

Given the number of games players at that level are being asked to play, then it makes sense.

I voted No, and immediately wanted to change my mind for this reason.

If they can find a way to keep the players that bit fresher as the tournament progresses it’ll hopefully keep the quality up and limit the number of injuries.

That prick Clarke will be able to take 4 keepers and add another defender to play out of position- he will be delighted.

I was surprised they went with 23 after allowing 26 at the World Cup. Those sort of decisions usually stick, like the 5 subs etc.

I can understand the argument against it with regards it benefitting the larger nations, but I think the 26 squad is more appropriate given the demands on players now.

Necessary? Probably not, but its not a big deal and I think having more options/giving more guys a chance of tournament football is a good thing. So I don't mind it.

Back