Possibly the worst example of cheating our game has ever seen on Saturday - Where’s the condemnation?

I watched it tonight H, it is there, Fanta baws called it right - "that's astonishing "
If there’s a man who understands the laws of football less than half of FF, it’s Michael Stewart

Trotting him out as an example of how Aberdeen have been hard done by is just madness… I’m guessing Roache Conroy or Madden said that it was a foul on Johnstone then cause I’ve not seen their opinions trotted out on this - and they’ve been gospel again recently

The astonishing bit, is that folk can’t get their head around what Don Robertson did as a piece of refereeing… it’s happened at Ibrox on numerous occasions… usually followed by a thread of “why didn’t we get a corner”

You can argue over incidents one by one (Timmy's favoured tactic) but the crux of the matter is that very, very few borderline* decisions go against Celtic and practically zero VAR rulings negatively affect them (Beaton at Tynecastle was an outlier).

If the teams were swapped does anyone seriously think Robertson would not have awarded a penalty?

Any ref who upsets Celtic is faced with personal attacks from the manager and then an orchestrated media campaign which inevitably whips up the masses.

That club initially feared VAR and tried to stall its introduction. When it finally was up and running they moaned because one or two decisions went against them. They have now got their way and the whole VAR system now dances to their tune.

* I don't think this was remotely a 'borderline' decision - precious few refs would have chalked off that goal.

Still to hear anything from Aberdeen!
Are they happy with the situation?
Because if it was us we would be hearing about it up to the cup final.

Absolutely.

It would have been back page headlines all this week.

Like I said elsewhere, they'd have demanded a 50/50 split of tickets if it was against us, but take just 7k on Saturday?

An absolute joke of a football club and support.

But this is an instance of it ALL being in Aberdeen's hands.
They could really really go to town on this, because as has been pointed out, that 7 second delay to blow for a "foul" against a CFC defender is a clear and obvious method of denying Aberdeen a penalty.

But if Aberdeen don't want to make a fuss of it (as jorg points out, because it wasn't against us) then we've got a supposedly "big" club in Scotland equally happy with the refereeing, and equally complicit in the pro-CFC officiating.
Robertson knew that by doing what he did it took the decision completely out of VAR's hands.

VAR can't change his decision to award a foul but if he hadn't VAR would have awarded a penalty then check for a foul in the build up (sound familiar?). Robertson wasn't risking VAR awarding the penalty and seeing nothing in a 50/50 challenge - he knew what he was doing all right (must have been gutted when Aberdeen netted a third).

Can't believe some on here thinks that was a foul in the box. I mean, FFS.

You can argue over incidents one by one (Timmy's favoured tactic) but the crux of the matter is that very, very few borderline* decisions go against Celtic and practically zero VAR rulings negatively affect them (Beaton at Tynecastle was an outlier).

If the teams were swapped does anyone seriously think Robertson would not have awarded a penalty?

Any ref who upsets Celtic is faced with personal attacks from the manager and then an orchestrated media campaign which inevitably whips up the masses.

That club initially feared VAR and tried to stall its introduction. When it finally was up and running they moaned because one or two decisions went against them. They have now got their way and the whole VAR system now dances to their tune.

* I don't think this was remotely a 'borderline' decision - precious few refs would have chalked off that goal.

If Celtc had 2 penalties denied in a Cup semi-final and lost the game, the ref would already be gone. The tabloids would only have one item up for discussion.

We need to calm the hysteria here ffs, there have been multiple threads on this.

There's no wild conspiracy, it's a clear foul to the filth, the ref after a slight delay clearly awards the foul, there's no penalty award, no VAR intervention etc.
So why not blow for the foul when the ball drops to McKenzie? He has to dodge a challenge before knocking the ball into the six yard box and it's six/seven seconds till
Robertson stops the game after CV brings Hoillet down.
It stinks.
And as for clear foul... if that's Borna challenging the Aberdeen player for the cross, he's getting wiped out on here for being weak and out muscled.

Robertson knew that by doing what he did it took the decision completely out of VAR's hands.

VAR can't change his decision to award a foul but if he hadn't VAR would have awarded a penalty then check for a foul in the build up (sound familiar?). Robertson wasn't risking VAR awarding the penalty and seeing nothing in a 50/50 challenge - he knew what he was doing all right (must have been gutted when Aberdeen netted a third).

Can't believe some on here thinks that was a foul in the box. I mean, FFS.
In this instance, yes VAR can change his decision to award a foul because the play was still live at the time of the penalty incident

Regardless, If Robertson awards a penalty, VAR goes back to that incident and overturns it…

But VAR can absolutely get involved here if they deem it not a foul on Johnstone

So why not blow for the foul when the ball drops to McKenzie? He has to dodge a challenge before knocking the ball into the six yard box and it's six/seven seconds till
Robertson stops the game after CV brings Hoillet down.
It stinks.
And as for clear foul... if that's Borna challenging the Aberdeen player for the cross, he's getting wiped out on here for being weak and out muscled.
Because he’s entitled to delay the whistle for a foul in the instance of a clear attacking opportunity… which then ends with Vickers foul on Hoillet

A ball falling to the attacking team, in the box, would probably qualify as that no?

There is absolutely zero conspiracy in the delayed whistle. He believes it’s a foul on Johnston, he’s delayed, the play ends he awards the foul

If he’s wrong on the foul, he’s allowed the opportunity for VAR to get involved.

No rerefereeing, no conspiracy, just (god forbid) a decent passage of refereeing with the technology that’s available

There will be none. There is only condemnation when it involves us. All we ask for is consistency in how we are treated by referees/football authorities/media. We don't get it. The majority hate us and want to stick the boot in at any opportunity. They will say we are paranoid but it's as clear as day that we get treated differently.

The entire period from the filths defeat to Hearts upto our defeat to Ross County was dominated by daily moonhowling about “cheating” refereeing decisions, 99% of which was completely unjustified.

Well on Saturday we seen the worst case of refereeing corruption that I think most of us have ever seen in Scottish football. In the last minute of extra time, a referee consciously gave a decision he knew wasn’t correct because he knew the alternative would potentially cost the team he supported a place in a cup final. The incident looks even worse the more you see it.

There is absolutely no reasonable justification for what Don Robertson done on Saturday. It’s not incompetence. It’s not a mistake. He simply knew he was going to have to award a penalty to Aberdeen in the dying stages for a blatant foul and instead opted to award a phantom foul against Aberdeen for a filth player throwing himself to the ground several seconds before that cheating Don didn’t even acknowledge in real time.

Where are all these bastions of sporting integrity and level playing fields now when it comes to refereeing decisions? If they really all cared about transparency and impartiality then they’d be all over this obvious example of corruption.

Collum did similar in the League Cup semi final when that mob was playing Killie back in January of 2023. Last minute, absolutely clear penalty kick and he deliberately ignored it. Robertson on Saturday knew it was a penalty, Carter-Vickers is knelt directly in front of him holding his head in his hands as he knew it was a penalty and yet Robertson refused to give it. I listened to Talksport yesterday morning debating the Nottingham Forest complaints about the decisions that they didn't get against Everton on Sunday. My thoughts were that the actual worst decision at the weekend was Robertson's at Hampden on Saturday. It was blatant cheating.

It is another side effect of VARce. You are a defender, you lose a challenge, you go down claiming to have been fouled ( bonus for claiming head injury) and it will go to a review ( if it suits the officials).

All of this or most of it would be sorted if the ref and VAR official were mic'd up so you know their thinking there and then and not made up ( or ignored) later.

Transparency in Scottish football? No tittering at the back.

If it’s a clear foul to Celtic why’s he playing advantage to Aberdeen?

It’s a penalty and Robertson’s decision is either through fear or favouritism, either way he shouldn’t be allowed near a football game.

I've watched the incident about a dozen times on here and I disagree.
I think they ( the mhedia ) call it a " coming together " when it's a Rangers player involved . Plugs a cheat and that's at least three times this season alone we've seen the amateur dramatics work in his favour .He's not the only one in that team of course , the two Andy caps , Furuhashi and Hatate have perfected the art of just falling into an opponent when they see they're not going to win the ball. and get away with it 9 times out of 10 , on the one occasion they don't , they're not even spoken to or booked.
It happens time and time again and not only in the games against us , and I don't understand why some of our own fans choose to ignore it and put it down to incompetence only. It can be both incompetence and cheating and it's happening too often for it not to be the case.

Because he’s entitled to delay the whistle for a foul in the instance of a clear attacking opportunity… which then ends with Vickers foul on Hoillet

A ball falling to the attacking team, in the box, would probably qualify as that no?

There is absolutely zero conspiracy in the delayed whistle. He believes it’s a foul on Johnston, he’s delayed, the play ends he awards the foul

If he’s wrong on the foul, he’s allowed the opportunity for VAR to get involved.

No rerefereeing, no conspiracy, just (god forbid) a decent passage of refereeing with the technology that’s available

One utter pile of p1sh.

If a Rangers player clatters an opponent anywhere on the park it's an instant foul. There's no more phases or passages of play, it's an instant foul.

You're saying the ref waits until Aberdeen could potentially score and then he disallows it because plug was injured? I've never heard so much codswallop in my puff.

See all the tinfoil hat wearing conspiracy nuts.

You do realise that the exact same happens in reverse on the filth message boards and social media pages, they are 100% convinced the refs are out to get them and VAR is completely in favour of helping one team (Rangers), they will do everything in their power to try and stop Celtic and do everything to help Rangers.

It's preposterous of course.

One utter pile of p1sh.

If a Rangers player clatters an opponent anywhere on the park it's an instant foul. There's no more phases or passages of play, it's an instant foul.

You're saying the ref waits until Aberdeen could potentially score and then he disallows it because plug was injured? I've never heard so much codswallop in my puff.
But it’s not anywhere on the park

Its in the penalty box, with a decent attacking opportunity, specifically catered for in the laws of the game

It’s happened at Ibrox on numerous occasions, sometimes the ball then falls to the keeper or for a goal kick and the referee just indicates play on

Sometimes, it goes for a corner, and instead he gives a free kick - that thread has appeared on here on a few occasions as “baffling refereeing to not give us a corner”

I’m saying, he sees a foul, it falls to an Aberdeen player in the box so he delays the whistle… the passage of play plays out, the result is a penalty. So he returns to the delayed whistle

Same as a delayed offside flag. Exactly the same. Folk need to get their heads round VAR and the differences it provides to the games in obvious attacking situations

In this instance, yes VAR can change his decision to award a foul because the play was still live at the time of the penalty incident

Regardless, If Robertson awards a penalty, VAR goes back to that incident and overturns it…

But VAR can absolutely get involved here if they deem it not a foul on Johnstone

No they can't. Same as Morelos goal at the piggery.

No they can't. Same as Morelos goal at the piggery.
They can. That was checked as a possible goal and not given because they also deemed it a foul by Morelos…

Which isn’t the argument that’s normally posted on here about that, normally it’s “Clancy blew before the ball was in the net so var couldn’t get involved”

He didn’t. VAR could

VAR only can’t get involved in a situation involving a penalty or a goal, where it HAS occurred after the whistle

Not sure how that’s overly difficult to comprehend really.

No whistle = live play = under VARs remit regardless of what decision is then given

Your first paragraph sums up why it is beyond any doubt that corruption is taking place weekly.

See all the tinfoil hat wearing conspiracy nuts.

You do realise that the exact same happens in reverse on the filth message boards and social media pages, they are 100% convinced the refs are out to get them and VAR is completely in favour of helping one team (Rangers), they will do everything in their power to try and stop Celtic and do everything to help Rangers.

It's preposterous of course.
It sure does, i am not so sure Celtic fans suggesting there is bias against them means much they will also say there is a Rangers media that hates them.... you wont be able to tell us which games or decisions has upset them just penalty to Rangers.

And you sound pretty paranoid yourself tbh.

It sure does, i am not so sure Celtic fans suggesting there is bias against them means much they will also say there is a Rangers media that hates them.... you wont be able to tell us which games or decisions has upset them just penalty to Rangers.

And you sound pretty paranoid yourself tbh.

Really, paranoid of what exactly?

But it’s not anywhere on the park

Its in the penalty box, with a decent attacking opportunity, specifically catered for in the laws of the game

It’s happened at Ibrox on numerous occasions, sometimes the ball then falls to the keeper or for a goal kick and the referee just indicates play on

Sometimes, it goes for a corner, and instead he gives a free kick - that thread has appeared on here on a few occasions as “baffling refereeing to not give us a corner”

I’m saying, he sees a foul, it falls to an Aberdeen player in the box so he delays the whistle… the passage of play plays out, the result is a penalty. So he returns to the delayed whistle

Same as a delayed offside flag. Exactly the same. Folk need to get their heads round VAR and the differences it provides to the games in obvious attacking situations

If he sees a foul, why doesn't he award it instantly?

Forget the offside malarkey as that doesn't apply here.

If he sees a foul, why doesn't he award it instantly?

Forget the offside malarkey as that doesn't apply here.
The answer is in the post you quote…

The first 4 words of the ifab sentence are “delaying the flag/whistle”

The offside malarkey is an entirely comparable situation

the issue is that nobody is calling it out in mainstream media. Not even sheep fc. And unfortunately for us, not even our club. It's just us on here talking to each other about it. It's mental how corrupt it is. But until our club speak out, until we get the PR right, nothing will change

There will be none. There is only condemnation when it involves us. All we ask for is consistency in how we are treated by referees/football authorities/media. We don't get it. The majority hate us and want to stick the boot in at any opportunity. They will say we are paranoid but it's as clear as day that we get treated differently.

The other clubs do get treated differently, just like us, when Celtc are involved, mate. The media, however, sweep all the game changing incidents in Celtc's favour under the carpet, so there is no " controversy " in the tabloids.

Really, paranoid of what exactly?
Any debate on this subject.

You lose the plot every day as soon as someone mentions a refs performance or any decisions. You cant defend refs so you try to silence others. You fear any debate and spend way to much time thinking about them. Celtic fans, Celtic forum, Celtic manager.

I mean an obsession with your rivals is that no what we criticise them for ?

Are you going to tell us what it is they are upset about you must have some idea ?

Didn't know that - I dare say VAR wouldn't have changed his decision if clear and obvious error was the criteria. He was gaming the situation.

Why would he let play go on for a supposed foul against Celtic to allow Aberdeen to continue attacking? Makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Last edited:
Didn't know that - I dare say VAR wouldn't have changed his decision if clear and obvious error was the criteria. He was gaming the situation.

Why would he let play on for a supposed foul against Celtic to allow Aberdeen to continue attacking? Makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
Because, sometimes they’re wrong. And they and ifab know it. When you actually think about it objectively, it does make sense

Contentious decision in the penalty box for the defence? Delay the whistle a second, see what happens, then give it when the attack plays out… means a goal or potential penalty can be reviewed

It’s why it’s limited to clear attacking situations and not “every” though

And the thing about it with Aberdeen getting shafted on this occasion it’s going to keep on happening to whoever the filth are playing so all the rest of them should take note and be calling it out. The likes of Hearts and Kilmarnock spring to mind, they’ve already been done with dodgy decisions before and that’s just at Hampden and if the task wasn’t hard enough you’ve got blatant cheating b@stards swanning around helping Filth Pollution FC left right and centre and hardly a word is said about it.

It’s understandable the cheating gets sweeped under the carpet given the makeup of the Scottish media which is polluted with filth friendly rats and others who quite simply are complete shitebags! But regarding the league, WHY are all these clubs so compliant and willing to accept a situation that is clearly been engineered to unfairly benefit one rancid club? You have to conclude they don’t mind getting shafted too much because it’s Rangers who are really getting the biggest shafting of all as long as the current setup remains in place.

Last edited:
Any debate on this subject.

You lose the plot every day as soon as someone mentions a refs performance or any decisions. You cant defend refs so you try to silence others. You fear any debate and spend way to much time thinking about them. Celtic fans, Celtic forum, Celtic manager.

I mean an obsession with your rivals is that no what we criticise them for ?

Are you going to tell us what it is they are upset about you must have some idea ?
And I'm obsessed :))

Dearie me you need a lie down, I've obviously touched a nerve with the conspiracy nut line.

What debate do I fear? And show me where I lose the plot every day, go on? And while your there, show me the obsession I have with Celtic?

I've started dozens of threads and only one indirectly concerns them and it was about our potential back 4 at the Piggery, all the rest have fuckall to do with them.

The entire period from the filths defeat to Hearts upto our defeat to Ross County was dominated by daily moonhowling about “cheating” refereeing decisions, 99% of which was completely unjustified.

Well on Saturday we seen the worst case of refereeing corruption that I think most of us have ever seen in Scottish football. In the last minute of extra time, a referee consciously gave a decision he knew wasn’t correct because he knew the alternative would potentially cost the team he supported a place in a cup final. The incident looks even worse the more you see it.

There is absolutely no reasonable justification for what Don Robertson done on Saturday. It’s not incompetence. It’s not a mistake. He simply knew he was going to have to award a penalty to Aberdeen in the dying stages for a blatant foul and instead opted to award a phantom foul against Aberdeen for a filth player throwing himself to the ground several seconds before that cheating Don didn’t even acknowledge in real time.

Where are all these bastions of sporting integrity and level playing fields now when it comes to refereeing decisions? If they really all cared about transparency and impartiality then they’d be all over this obvious example of corruptio

Where are all these bastions of sporting integrity and level playing fields now when it comes to refereeing decisions? If they really all cared about transparency and impartiality then they’d be all over this obvious example of corruption.
But there was a foul on Johnston by Hoillet. Just because you don’t want it to be true doesn’t mean it isn’t true.

Last 7-8 minutes. Not last minute. I don’t disagree with your post but you need to be watertight factually or they will just focus on that point and wave your point away.
100% correct. There are so many who post on here whose arguments could be blasted out of the water due to glaring inaccuracies.

So, and this is a school day for me, Aberdeen are on the attack, play a ball into the penalty area and in the referees opinion, a Celtic player is fouled when going to clear the cross.
He ( Robertson) lets Aberdeen continue trying to score, knowing that whatever happens he can bring the play to a halt anytime and award the foul.
If Aberdeen score, he then has VAR to check the build up and debate whether the challenge committed was a foul on Johnston when he should have avoided the whole mess by stopping for a foul on Johnston ( as debatable as it was)
or
he didn't think it was a foul until CV brought down the Aberdeen player then it was.

So, and this is a school day for me, Aberdeen are on the attack, play a ball into the penalty area and in the referees opinion, a Celtic player is fouled when going to clear the cross.
He ( Robertson) lets Aberdeen continue trying to score, knowing that whatever happens he can bring the play to a halt anytime and award the foul.
If Aberdeen score, he then has VAR to check the build up and debate whether the challenge committed was a foul on Johnston when he should have avoided the whole mess by stopping for a foul on Johnston ( as debatable as it was)

or
he didn't think it was a foul until CV brought down the Aberdeen player then it was.
Yes

Exactly

Although the expectation would be if he’d delayed the whistle, that he then award the foul and allow VAR to check it all

Which VAR can do

By awarding a debatable foul early, he prevents the opportunity for VAR to get involved… which, if he was cheating, is what he’d probably do

or

But what if he was wrong? He thought it was a foul, but there could have been no contact, or the Aberdeen player won the ball or something meaning his idea of what happened wasn't right.

VAR advises him his version is wrong, he asks for a review, goes and watches it and decides its a penalty.

If he blows instantly for the foul then all that option is taken away.

Rather than the accusation of cheating to help Celtic, it's actually the opposite and he has left things open to award Aberdeen a penalty if he was wrong.

Whether it is actually a foul is another debate, but the way he handled the situation was a good piece of refereeing*

*this is on the presumption he did delay a decision and didnt change his mind when he realised he was going to award a penalty otherwise.

Absolutely.

It would have been back page headlines all this week.

Like I said elsewhere, they'd have demanded a 50/50 split of tickets if it was against us, but take just 7k on Saturday?

An absolute joke of a football club and support.

Aberdeen fans are probably happy as they will feel the yahoos have a better chance of beating us in the final.

But what if he was wrong? He thought it was a foul, but there could have been no contact, or the Aberdeen player won the ball or something meaning his idea of what happened wasn't right.

VAR advises him his version is wrong, he asks for a review, goes and watches it and decides its a penalty.

If he blows instantly for the foul then all that option is taken away.

Rather than the accusation of cheating to help Celtic, it's actually the opposite and he has left things open to award Aberdeen a penalty if he was wrong.

Whether it is actually a foul is another debate, but the way he handled the situation was a good piece of refereeing*

*this is on the presumption he did delay a decision and didnt change his mind when he realised he was going to award a penalty otherwise.

Absolute fecking bonkers.

But in
Yes

Exactly

Although the expectation would be if he’d delayed the whistle, that he then award the foul and allow VAR to check it all

Which VAR can do

By awarding a debatable foul early, he prevents the opportunity for VAR to get involved… which, if he was cheating, is what he’d probably do
In Robertson's eyes the foul on Johnston isn't debatable - he considers it's a foul and he's giving it.
What he done was to give himself an option on when to award it.

Goal scored - VAR intervenes and he sticks to his decision

Penalty decision - stop play and award the foul on Johnston ( as happened , no VAR involved)

Goal kick/ corner/throw in - either GK or corner or throw in or foul on Johnston ( I don't know).

By awarding a debatable foul early, he prevents the opportunity for VAR to get involved… which, if he was cheating, is what he’d probably do.

Or, and I repeat, he didn't think it was a foul on Johnston until the penalty kick should have been awarded then went for option two above.

But in

In Robertson's eyes the foul on Johnston isn't debatable - he considers it's a foul and he's giving it.

Penalty decision - stop play and award the foul on Johnston ( as happened , no VAR involved)

Goal kick/ corner/throw in - either GK or corner or throw in or foul on Johnston ( I don't know).

By awarding a debatable foul early, he prevents the opportunity for VAR to get involved… which, if he was cheating, is what he’d probably do.

Or, and I repeat, he didn't think it was a foul on Johnston until the penalty kick should have been awarded then went for option two above.

That's where the real debate comes in.

If you watch the footage closely, he makes the slightest of arm movements towards the incident with his right arm when it occurs. I lean to the side of he consciously delayed the decision to let it play out.

But in

Of course in Robertson's eyes it's not debatable. That's why he's given it

Its not him thats given himself an option on when to award it, its IFAB and the laws of the game

I think he makes the conscious decision to delay the whistle when he sees the ball drop to Aberdeen, in the box, at 3-2 in a cup semi final. I think that is good refereeing. I actually think it is so far removed from him cheating to help Celtic...

I think he was giving the foul regardless of the outcome of the play - by holding his whistle, he allowed the opportunity for VAR to be able to intervene in the event he was wrong

Back