Premier League clubs to vote on proposal to scrap VAR from next season.

The logic is it ruins the game as a spectacle and there is still debatable outcomes.
Can you bac that up with any evidence?

Can you share where have attendances fallen due to VAR or where have viewing figures fallen please?

First of all, that last paragraph just lolz :oops:

I watched the League Cup final from the west stand at Hampden 2019 and would much prefer their goal to have been quickly ruled out and move in with the game.
Again, you're not mentioning the absolute shitshow that totally went against us in all FOUR old firm games this season, every single one, goals celebrated wildly only for VAR to roll it back and wrongly disallow, penalties given that shouldn't have been given, penalties not awarded that should have been, all favouring Celtic, these games and decisions literally had a massive and defining effect on our season.

It's absolutely mind blowing that Rangers fans are just ignoring all this and focusing on penalties we were given in other games.

Will another VAR disaster class in the Cup Final still not bother you at all?

Hmm it’s a hard one I have to say, it should be scrapped up here whilst half the teams can’t afford it and the actual angles of offside are impossible to draw their squiggly lines.

Can see it happening in both leagues now
Said umpteen times that the ultra tight offside calls are a nonsense. They can't judge to a matter of millimetres when, particularly in Scotland, the camera angles don't allow them to do so accurately. It's a guessing game. In cricket they use DRS (Decision Review System) and if it's too close to call, they stick with the umpires decision. We should do similar in football. As for VAR in general, we were told it was for clear and obvious errors, so let's get back to that. Slow motion and stills completely change the context, so that should be binned. And if VAR / the ref needs to look at something half a dozen times from 10 different angles, then it's not clear and obvious. In short, use VAR to correct absolute howlers. Not for every tight decision.

VAR is here to stay, it needs re-worked, bring in ex-pro's for a start.
It might stay, but it needs changed from the mess it is. I'm not sure what ex pros can bring to it, every time I read the match thread they get pelters for talking nonsense. In fact you get more about them, than the actual game. TV companies have created drama all over football, but instead of the good, they love the controversy.

Can you bac that up with any evidence?

Can you share where have attendances fallen due to VAR or where have viewing figures fallen please?
Evidence?I didn't once say it affects attendance or viewing figures.Every goal we score,yes we might celebrate but you've got that horrible feeling the dreaded VAR is coming.

We might as well agree on ref decisions before a game is kicked off as it will speed things up for the hard of thinking. I.e. first 2 decisions go to the home team, next 2 go to the away team. The accuracy of these decisions is obviously immaterial, as long as its quick.

I'm old fashioned. Get rid of it. I know someone will be along to tell me how many times we'd have been disadvantaged if not for VAR but I just hate it. Not knowing if you can celebrate a goal and all the messing about it's absolutely awful and it's genuinely ruining what football should be. I'd be happy to deal with shite ref decisions to have football back.
Agree 100%.
There are terrible decisions either way, with or without VAR. Now we are dealing with the inconsistency over what situations are reviewed and which situations aren’t. May as well get rid of it.

Again, you're not mentioning the absolute shitshow that totally went against us in all FOUR old firm games this season, every single one, goals celebrated wildly only for VAR to roll it back and wrongly disallow, penalties given that shouldn't have been given, penalties not awarded that should have been, all favouring Celtic, these games and decisions literally had a massive and defining effect on our season.

It's absolutely mind blowing that Rangers fans are just ignoring all this and focusing on penalties we were given in other games.

Will another VAR disaster class in the Cup Final still not bother you at all?
Do both these aspects not speak to the quality or integrity of the VAR officials and the referees, rather than VAR itself?
I think there is more that can be done from a refining of process and use case, timeliness of decisions, more training and true accountability, rather than just saying lets go back to the way it used to be?

Said umpteen times that the ultra tight offside calls are a nonsense. They can't judge to a matter of millimetres when, particularly in Scotland, the camera angles don't allow them to do so accurately. It's a guessing game. In cricket they use DRS (Decision Review System) and if it's too close to call, they stick with the umpires decision. We should do similar in football. As for VAR in general, we were told it was for clear and obvious errors, so let's get back to that. Slow motion and stills completely change the context, so that should be binned. And if VAR / the ref needs to look at something half a dozen times from 10 different angles, then it's not clear and obvious. In short, use VAR to correct absolute howlers. Not for every tight decision.
I would have no issue with an 'umpires call' rule being introduced atm however the accuracy of the technology will only increase and there's already calls within cricket that umpires call doesn't affect the final decision

The issue with VAR is that is has demonstrated all the concerns that everyone had about it before it came in:
  • Decisions taking too long
  • Subjective decisions getting analysed to the nth degree
  • Minute offsides not viable to the naked eye getting called
  • Games being re-refereed
They need to really solve these things for fans and clubs to start having faith in it.

There was a reason that VAR was needed and that has not gone away. Instead of getting rid of it, it needs to be improved season on season.

I see that the French league is going to mic up their referees so that the fans in the stadium will know what decision has been made and why. That is progress.

Forest 100% will vote to get rid. There may be a few others, do the newly promoted sides i.e Ipswich vote or the sides going down? As I could see Ipswich voting against it having never used it.

Don't think they will get 14 teams to vote in favour though.
They will have a fucking cheek :))
IMG-1434.jpg

The worry is the amount of penalties we need to rely on VAR to award.

It's clear we are hard done by by refs. VAR gives them less places to hide.

Without it they will just hide behind dubious judgement calls again, that will only get talked about on here, and never heard of in the media.

I would seriously punish players that do that. A rule brought in for their safety and they are abusing it.
Did you see the state of McGregor at the weekend? Rolling around clutching his head peeking through his fingers, they get the ball and it’s straight up and running up the pitch.

Cheating bug eyed bastard

getting rid of it up here gives me the fear. look at the amount of decisions VAR has given us alone this season.

Refs are afraid to give us decisions up here, even if they are correct. for us it needs to be kept. If the refs were better up here to begin with/not biased , whichever is correct, then in terms of the sport itself i`d say it`s probably better without.

You've said you can't celebrate goals because of it.
Apologies for pointing out that you can.
Ofcourse you can but it's not the same and you know that and are clearly just trying to be a smart arse hence why I'm not engaging in your argument. Each to their own mate enjoy

One of the flaws woth Var, is the ref should be able to ask to see it. 3 of 16 pens for us awarded on the field. Better not to award to Rangers and see if it gets pulled.

There must be some genuine cases where the ref thinks they are unsure on a penslty for example and wants to have a look, rather than guess and wait to see if VAintervenes.s to change it.

Scrap VAR and I give up on football

Keep rules simple - If in doubt miss it out!!!!!

VAR has proven the Scottish game IS corrupt.

Celtic player taps a ball out with his hand in crystal clear slow motion video and it's IGNORED by the guy who becomes the top ref in Scotland.

Brenda screams about Beaton requesting Don Bhoy Robertson reviews a couple of 'possible' errors and demands Beaton plays no part in Celtic games - BUT no such problem with old Don Bhoy!!!

VAR problems in England are NOT on the same scale as Scotland

Use the AI var for offsides like uefa use and use goal line technology, thats enough. They dont need to be constantly looking at every goal for reasons to chop it off.

VAR is 21st century technology, adjudication rules established in the 19th century.

We need to change the offside rule to allow more room for attacking player eg whole foot has to be offside.

No more "toenail off sides."
You still have the same problems. Moving the offside point from one place to another changes nothing. It just becomes "is the defenders toenail playing the attacker onside or not"

Adopt the tennis thing where you change challenge 3 times during a match

This would just be abused and used tactically. You're also guaranteeing that a game will be halted 6 times as both teams would utilise their challenges.

How quickly after an incident must a challenge be made?

If you're agreeing to challenges, then you're admitting that the technology is useful in getting to the correct decision - why then limit it?

getting rid of it up here gives me the fear. look at the amount of decisions VAR has given us alone this season.

Refs are afraid to give us decisions up here, even if they are correct. for us it needs to be kept. If the refs were better up here to begin with/not biased , whichever is correct, then in terms of the sport itself i`d say it`s probably better without.
We had a better record against them without VAR though?

There was a reason that VAR was needed and that has not gone away. Instead of getting rid of it, it needs to be improved season on season.

I see that the French league is going to mic up their referees so that the fans in the stadium will know what decision has been made and why. That is progress.
So watching a referee speak to the crowd is progress. Don't see it being much use at all, when he gets abuse for making a call against the home team especially.

Why not just try and keep the game moving and cut back on stoppages as often as can be done.

But then it would be no use to the other side?
Take dessers goal that was chopped off against them, why would var go that far back? They had a chance to stop the attack and even at that it was in their half at the time etc.

What is clear and obvious to me wouldn’t be clear and obvious to others I suppose is what I am getting at?

I was always a major fan of var but in its current form it needs binned as do a lot of referees

Ofcourse you can but it's not the same and you know that and are clearly just trying to be a smart arse hence why I'm not engaging in your argument. Each to their own mate enjoy
It's hardly being a smart arse.
I don't know of anyone who doesn't celebrate goals just in case.

We’d have missed out on around 9/10 penalties this year without it.
Apparently refs will just start giving us penalties if they know there is no VAR to bail them out.

This is what some posters are expecting us to believe.

You really have to ask why?

Evidence?I didn't once say it affects attendance or viewing figures.Every goal we score,yes we might celebrate but you've got that horrible feeling the dreaded VAR is coming.
You said it's killing football.

So there's no evidence just a feeling?

I'll give you it's not killing football, wee bit of evidence record season ticket renewals for us.

It's hardly being a smart arse.
I don't know of anyone who doesn't celebrate goals just in case.
I do celebrate them. But it doesn't feel the same with one eye on the ref and var. That's the third time I've explained this now and tried to end the conversation.

Had a discussion with an ex Ref ( English ) re VAR.
His view is that refs now tend to let decisions go knowing that they'll get picked up by VAR. I said that at least they get offsides right. He argued against that, saying that yes they have the line drawing technology, but they don't have the technology to freeze the video at the exact point the ball is kicked. If the guy is offside by a fraction of a toe, then that split second is just as important.

Ridiculous that people can't see this
I can see it, I just don't agree with going away back to a passage of play to rule out a goal, as for offside, well I'll say this much, lines across a screen are not my idea of entertainment. Last week on Motd, the commentator said this could be ruled out by the cheeks of his arse, not the exact words he used, but I think it said enough.

Back