Premier League clubs to vote on proposal to scrap VAR from next season.

I can see it, I just don't agree with going away back to a passage of play to rule out a goal, as for offside, we'll I'll say this much, lines across a screen are not my idea of entertainment. Last week on Motd, the commentator said this could be ruled out by the cheeks of his arse, not the exact words he used, but I think it said enough.
VAR needs to be improved/streamlined not scrapped.

We absolutely need var. About 75% of our penalties have been awarded by var this season.
Obviously it’s hard to quantify as it’s a bit speculative, but I do think in many cases that the ref is reluctant to make the call straight away and instead prefers to hand responsibility to the VAR officials. There could be the possibility that more penalties would be awarded in real time if the ref is forced to make the call then and there.

How can it be improved up here?

That's like saying the referees need to improve?
Cricket Tennis NFL all base the system on each team or player can appeal a maximum number of decisions per match
Football could learn from this and it would allow the ref to referee without being called to VAR so often and every goal being checked.
Maybe 2 appeals per match would be enough

Rogue SFA and the Mhob will be delighted if VAR is stopped!!!!!

They've cheated their way to another title BUT VAR calls out their persistent friends in black!!!!

Looking forward to the Euro Comedy Gold again - Honest refereeing destroys them!!!!

I agree with most of their points, especially the ruining of spontaneous celebration, it's also getting itself involved in stuff like a foul that happened in the other half. Is there actually any guidance on how far back they can look? It's so subjective you can rule anything out if you look closely enough

Get rid of it and don't allow broadcasters to use any technology that could override the decision

If I wanted to watch a stop start game I'd follow one of the Yank sports.

Var illuminates blatant cheating , as we have witnessed in pivotal games against the poets.

Even if it doesn’t influence correct decisions being undertaken by the actual referee . It creates media scrutiny, from outlets across the United Kingdom . In essence making it difficult to benefit the bigger teams , without denigrating the officials and game as corrupt.

Celtic will want it scrapped, the new head of referees will also wish for it , to be removed. They don’t want transparency in this league. For these reasons , it will pass unfortunately.

Scottish football is a poisonous abscess to professional sport.

I can see it, I just don't agree with going away back to a passage of play to rule out a goal, as for offside, well I'll say this much, lines across a screen are not my idea of entertainment. Last week on Motd, the commentator said this could be ruled out by the cheeks of his arse, not the exact words he used, but I think it said enough.
Sport isn't entertainment, that's where you're going wrong.

Before anyone jumps in I'm not saying sports isn't entertaining but the basis of sport is being successful within the rules

Very selective in the part you decided to put in bold. The words after that don't suit you clearly :D
I’m sure you’ll agree that it is quite something to predict someone’s intelligence on what their opinion is on the VAR issue. :)

Anyway. Opinions are obviously split on the issue for various reasons, and different aspects of the game are important for different people. Like everything else there are pros and cons with VAR. Personally I can’t remember the last time I went wild at a goal because there is always that gut feeling something might have happened in the build up.

I have watched some games in the CL knockout stages this season where I thought VAR worked well with minimal involvement and quick decision making. But the referees were good. If you have bad referees on the pitch and in the VAR room, as is the case up here, all the technology in the world won’t help I’m afraid.

Rooney is next on the ‘it’s killing football’ bandwagon.

Easy to say for someone who was paid handsomely to play the game - not pay a fortune to follow it.

Players are the worst judge of this. In 99% of cases a player has no real connection to a club, a wrong decision is annoying but probably won’t consume them for more than a week - I’m still furious about Julian’s goal in the 2019 league cup final.

Rooney is next on the ‘it’s killing football’ bandwagon.

Easy to say for someone who was paid handsomely to play the game - not pay a fortune to follow it.
I think if you asked those who do pay a fortune to follow football then many would agree

They need it improved. Clear and obvious really needs to mean clear and obvious and not obscure and opaque

Brilliant, can just imagine uproar when first player who is 2 yards offside doesn't get given. Astounds me how many people seem to have forgotten how bad refereeing was pre-VAR.

This, all day long.

After years of constant moaning about referees, it's finally brought in, then after only a few years everyone wants rid instead of working to improve it. It's lazy and pathetic.

The telly loves VAR for the " drama " and clickbait it generates.

They don't actually care if the decision is the right one.

This, all day long.

After years of constant moaning about referees, it's finally brought in, then after only a few years everyone wants rid instead of working to improve it. It's lazy and pathetic.
Because it doesn’t get all decisions correct (if such a thing is possible) and creates other controversial decisions.

Whilst ruining the matchday experience.

When there seems to be issues with VAR all over, there has to be some sort of idea that VAR is a problem?
People who don’t want or like it will generally find fault, such is the nature of people.
The idea of VAR and what it should bring to the game is good, the people running it however are doing a very poor job.
In my opinion of course.

Because it doesn’t get all decisions correct (if such a thing is possible) and creates other controversial decisions.

Whilst ruining the matchday experience.

Which is why how it's used, and the rules themselves, need worked on.

Your second point is a complete myth.

Which is why how it's used, and the rules themselves, need worked on.

Your second point is a complete myth.
How is it a myth?

Regular confusion as the ref is waiting for VAR checks on something nobody has noticed, goals disallowed after celebrations, offsides taking 40 years to be given when clear and obvious. Just some of the issues it causes.

Desserts goal vs the scum to go 2-2 was celebrated like mad, some of the most mental I’ve seen at Ibrox. Then it’s disallowed for a foul in the other half and the whole plays goes flat. VAR is rubbish for fans in the ground.

Maybe football should look at ticket prices and the treatment of supporters when talking about the 'matchday experience'.

The telly loves VAR for the " drama " and clickbait it generates.

They don't actually care if the decision is the right one.
They might not care but surely fans of the sport want correct decisions. Obviously there are still mistakes but why would anybody's solution be to increase the number of mistakes?

It's hardly being a smart arse.
I don't know of anyone who doesn't celebrate goals just in case.

Gets like that at times, it’s obviously not every match but in a bad weekend I don’t believe it’s a goal till they’ve kicked off again!

I would have no issue with an 'umpires call' rule being introduced atm however the accuracy of the technology will only increase and there's already calls within cricket that umpires call doesn't affect the final decision
No, I agree and I'm really only talking about offsides. In the same way whether the ball is hitting the wicket is too close to call in an LBW shout, so it stays with umpires call, I think it should be the same with offsides, because I refuse to accept that with the current system, they can accurately measure it to within millimetres, which is sometimes what they're trying to do. With penalties, fouls in the build up etc, the ref gets another look at it, so I suppose that's effectively still 'umpire's call' even if he changes his original decision.

Sport isn't entertainment, that's where you're going wrong.

Before anyone jumps in I'm not saying sports isn't entertaining but the basis of sport is being successful within the rules
I'm not going wrong anywhere. Football at the end of the day is all about goals, We've now got a technology that goes into precise details to rule them out.

I never liked the thing anyway, but dessers goal against them ,was enough for me. Away back to the other end of the pitch to find something, to rule out a goal.

How is it a myth?

Regular confusion as the ref is waiting for VAR checks on something nobody has noticed, goals disallowed after celebrations, offsides taking 40 years to be given when clear and obvious. Just some of the issues it causes.

Desserts goal vs the scum to go 2-2 was celebrated like mad, some of the most mental I’ve seen at Ibrox. Then it’s disallowed for a foul in the other half and the whole plays goes flat. VAR is rubbish for fans in the ground.

Again though, all of your points aren't down to VAR itself, rather than how it's used (and in some cases the officials using it).

Also, my matchday experience would've been a whole lot worse this season if we hadn't been given the 13 penalties refs needed VAR to give us.

I think var in this iteration should go.

They should retain goal line tech and add in the automated offside tech that works well on the continent. Id also look at adding touchline tech for the rare case of in/out. Everything else is subjective and should be handled through the eyes of the referee in the context of that game.

I would then only have an official watching to flag up serious off the ball incidents etc, but not recommend reviews otherwise.

Imagine VAR gets binned?

First contentious offside people will moan they should have kept VAR.

Whether people like it or not the ref having another look or offside Being checked the vast majority of times the correct decision is given

Again though, all of your points aren't down to VAR itself, rather than how it's used (and in some cases the officials using it).

Also, my matchday experience would've been a whole lot worse this season if we hadn't been given the 13 penalties refs needed VAR to give us.
They wouldn’t have happened pre VAR though and I think people have a certain respect for mistakes made in the moment. Mistakes made after wasting time rewatching moments on a monitor though draw far bigger criticism.

It’s all very subjective and obviously a matter of big debate. However, I think the presence of VAR allows referees to stop refereeing in the moment. Rather than give a controversial decision they can wait for VAR to intervene. What that says about Scottish football is another matter!

They might not care but surely fans of the sport want correct decisions. Obviously there are still mistakes but why would anybody's solution be to increase the number of mistakes?

When have the fans ever counted, mate. ?

Sky and the other channels dictate everything and love all the controversy surrounding VAR.

No, I agree and I'm really only talking about offsides. In the same way whether the ball is hitting the wicket is too close to call in an LBW shout, so it stays with umpires call, I think it should be the same with offsides, because I refuse to accept that with the current system, they can accurately measure it to within millimetres, which is sometimes what they're trying to do. With penalties, fouls in the build up etc, the ref gets another look at it, so I suppose that's effectively still 'umpire's call' even if he changes his original decision.
Totally, I understand your argument and hadn't considered it for football but definitely makes sense while VAR catches up with football. In cricket there's almost an acceptance of the technology which means they're in a place where some want to rely on it completely. Fair to say we're years away from that in football

I'm not going wrong anywhere. Football at the end of the day is all about goals, We've now got a technology that goes into precise details to rule them out.

I never liked the thing anyway, but dessers goal against them ,was enough for me. Away back to the other end of the pitch to find something, to rule out a goal.
Sport isn't entertainment, I stand by that despite what certain subscription platforms like to suggest. I think we agree that subjective calls can go either way and VAR or no VAR won't eliminate that. My point is we have technology that can let viewers know what happened in a goal/red card/penalty/offside so to deny the referee that information seems absurd

It’s about time the VAR operators who are making major errors are dumped

If they can’t get decisions right having multiple angles and repeats then they should be binned

VAR if operated properly should be good but last night the two handed push on Dessers shows VAR up here is far worse

Andrew Dallas scared to give us a penalty sums it up

The point about overreach is absolutely bang on. We've seen it our detriment up here especially in OF games were there is no intention to analyse for clear and obvious but effectively to re referee which needs to be eradicated immediately.

It'll never pass but hopefully it leads to reform of how the system is used and what types of incidents they can check because it is ridiculous at present.

It’s about time the VAR operators who are making major errors are dumped

If they can’t get decisions right having multiple angles and repeats then they should be binned

VAR if operated properly should be good but last night the two handed push on Dessers shows VAR up here is far worse

Andrew Dallas scared to give us a penalty sums it up

When outside forces influence refs, then the game is already compromised, with our without VAR, mate.

We should have had 2 clear penalties last night, but the ref was too scared to award them.

Back