Premier League clubs to vote on proposal to scrap VAR from next season.

Was it not Roofe's goal
No was meaning the Dessers equaliser in the recent 3-3, I know people can argue its the right decision pulling it back for the Lawrence foul but with no VAR its not even a talking point. That was probably the best reaction to a goal at Ibrox since the Seville run and to have that taken away by VAR changed my mind over it completely.

Roofe's goal in the first game is another we would have had without VAR this year. Its impossible to know as you can't tell how a game will end up without the goals being ruled out but for me we would have won at least one of the Ibrox old firms with no VAR this year.

It'll never pass
Right, it will never pass even with a "fair" voting structure.
In Scotland, I think I am right in saying something like 11 out of 12 clubs need to vote in favour of something for it to change. Maybe someone can correct me. BUt I think I am right and that is clearly set up totally so that one club can dominate and manipulate every single decison....

Var is killing football, absolutely ruining it
I am conflicted.

I totally agree with you VAR kills the drama of football (especially to older generation guys like me)

But in Scotland is absolutely a friend of ours (ok, it didnt work with Walsh/Collum at the piggery for example but the number of times VAR was needed to give us a correct decision tells you a lot!)

Totally, I understand your argument and hadn't considered it for football but definitely makes sense while VAR catches up with football. In cricket there's almost an acceptance of the technology which means they're in a place where some want to rely on it completely. Fair to say we're years away from that in football
There's an acceptance in cricket that the technology, specifically ball tracking, isn't 100% accurate to within millimetres, while in football they're trying to have us accept all decisions as gospel and that the technology is infallible, which it's clearly not. Or certainly those operating it are not. In cricket, if the ball tracking shows the ball just clipping the top or edge of the stumps, they stick with the umpires decision of in or out. Think with VAR they should just accept that sometimes an offside is too close to call using the technology available and stick with the onfield decision.

Implement many of the good aspects of Rugby's TMO, first and foremost the referee speaking to the adjudicators live over the PA system.

I used to think that but even in England with full time refs and all the camera angles in the world its ruining games every weekend.
With anything new there's always teething probs but it's down to those In charge to iron out the flaws.

Too much money involved for it to be binned.

With anything new there's always teething probs but it's down to those In charge to iron out the flaws.

I wouldn't be so sure, seems to be 14 clubs out of 20 for it to pass in England. If they scrap it every other league will follow.

Wolves and the 3 promoted championship clubs will vote against. Only another 10 needed and a fair few have been complaining about it this year.

There's an acceptance in cricket that the technology, specifically ball tracking, isn't 100% accurate to within millimetres, while in football they're trying to have us accept all decisions as gospel and that the technology is infallible, which it's clearly not. Or certainly those operating it are not. In cricket, if the ball tracking shows the ball just clipping the top or edge of the stumps, they stick with the umpires decision of in or out. Think with VAR they should just accept that sometimes an offside is too close to call using the technology available and stick with the onfield decision.
I agree completely on the grey area of decisions in football but there is a growing voice in cricket to remove umpires call when the ball is hitting the wicket.

VAR has been around for 5 years now. It's no longer new so these aren't teething problems. They're just problems.
There's different problems though. Some are to do with process, some are to do with rules and some are human error.

Surely you look at fixing these first before you go burn down the house and get rid.

There's different problems though. Some are to do with process, some are to do with rules and some are human error.

Surely you look at fixing these first before you go burn down the house and get rid.
It just seems to me that we're spoiling football as a spectacle to still get it wrong far too often. Look at the Juve celebrations there. Going mental for 5 minutes and it's all for nothing. Millimetres in it but we now get the measuring tools out. I suppose we'll just need to see what fixes they come up with as VAR is going nowhere in my opinion.

It just seems to me that we're spoiling football as a spectacle to still get it wrong far too often. Look at the Juve celebrations there. Going mental for 5 minutes and it's all for nothing. Millimetres in it but we now get the measuring tools out. I suppose we'll just need to see what fixes they come up with as VAR is going nowhere in my opinion.
VAR isn't going to get everything 100pc correct.

But what you're talking about just needs tweaks to rules and processes to improve it.

Not scrapping it totally.

So watching a referee speak to the crowd is progress. Don't see it being much use at all, when he gets abuse for making a call against the home team especially.

Why not just try and keep the game moving and cut back on stoppages as often as can be done.
Yes, I think letting the fans (the real paying customers) in the stadium know what is going on is progress. A ref will get abuse regardless, at least the fans will know why they are abusing him.

I think there are many ways that the game can be improved but I don't think getting rid of VAR is one of them.

is it not true that they way the use and operate it is different from the rest of Europe?

We don’t even has as many issues as them and we are running a significantly reduced version.

Yes, I think letting the fans (the real paying customers) in the stadium know what is going on is progress. A ref will get abuse regardless, at least the fans will know why they are abusing him.

I think there are many ways that the game can be improved but I don't think getting rid of VAR is one of them.
As I've said, I'm not saying get rid of it, but it's those fans you speak of, that are the ones who are pissed off with it. If you were to give the vote to say every season tkt holder at the top leagues clubs, I think they would bomb it out by quite a distance.

Voting to scrap VAR would make as much sense as voting for Brexit.

Without VAR this season, just from our perspective, we'd be 13 penalties worse off due to the complete shitbaggery of the onfield officials.

That's an incredible number.

I doubt there's any team anywhere else that employs VAR who have had to rely on it so much due to the ineptitude of onfield officials.

I hate var. please get rid.

Imagine this.

Rangers score, the linesman flag doesn’t go up and you go mental celebrating.

That’s it goal. Move on.

England seem to have similar issues, refs and VAR scared to give decisions against Man Utd at Old Trafford.

Come to think of it was not Wolves who were also denied a stonewall penalty v Man Utd

I hate var. please get rid.

Imagine this.

Rangers score, the linesman flag doesn’t go up and you go mental celebrating.

That’s it goal. Move on.
Cast your mind back mate.

Celtic score against us in a cup final with 3 players clearly offside, none of the 3 having been in an onside position at any point in the phase of play.

The linesman flag doesn't go up and they go mental celebrating.

That's it. Goal. Move on.

Nah, I'll stick with VAR thanks.

Cast your mind back mate.

Celtic score against us in a cup final with 3 players clearly offside, none of the 3 having been in an onside position at any point in the phase of play.

The linesman flag doesn't go up and they go mental celebrating.

That's it. Goal. Move on.

Nah, I'll stick with VAR thanks.
Each to their own. I’m still angry about aitken taking our throw in in the 89 cup final. Still would never have it.

I am conflicted.

I totally agree with you VAR kills the drama of football (especially to older generation guys like me)

But in Scotland is absolutely a friend of ours (ok, it didnt work with Walsh/Collum at the piggery for example but the number of times VAR was needed to give us a correct decision tells you a lot!)
Didn’t work for the Motherwell thug on McAusland. And didn’t thug score later in the game. Similar tackle to Lundstrams. The camera part cannot be wrong. It only shows what happened. What’s needed is an AI interpreter of the incidents. So that every incident is consistent. Also they gave the vermin a penalty on Saturday that never was. I don’t think we benefit greatly from it. Regarding the penalties that VAR gave us, I think that’s as much to do with refs thinking “ oh shit, penalty Rangers. I’m not giving it, let VAR sort it.”

How is that any different to celebrating a goal then a linesman sticks his flag up?
Pre VAR the linesman’s flag was up quicker than a rat up a drainpipe
They now wait a full minute on VAR to make the decision for them before raising their flag

If VAR gets kept, the next logical step is making referees explaining their decisions the way it’s being done in USA/Australia

Referees should be held to account and explain why decisions are being overturned

Pre VAR the linesman’s flag was up quicker than a rat up a drainpipe
They now wait a full minute on VAR to make the decision for them before raising their flag
It still never stopped anyone from celebrating though.
We've all had that moment where you're going tonto, not realising the flag is up.

It doesn't take anything away from the game at all.

Fair enough, we will just ignore the fact we have benefitted more over the season than anyone other club. Just pick four games out.
Referees just won't give decisions for Rangers they rely on VAR doing that , getting rid of VAR would mean adding another advantage to any team we play domestically as our penalties have shown 4 given from referee 12 given by VAR

Some rules need changing. Handball and offside in particular. Handball is a farce

VAR use needs amended. For example only the 6 seconds prior to a goal are checked and only in the attacking half of the pitch.

One of the officials must announce the decision as well so people know why the call has been made.

I honestly don't understand the people on here saying VAR is no good get rid of it.
That lot would have won the title months ago if we didn't have VAR.
Mental that we were found to be the team that had the most incorrect decisions against us this season but aye bin VAR.

Anyone who wants rid of the technology is backwards. It’s a combination of the IFAB rules and the poor refs who use it which causes frustration.
I’m firmly in the camp now of the technology should be used for goal line & offsides - ie. totally objective decisions.

Anything else, let the ref deal with it.

The issue is still our refs up here in particular are rotten. But I hate the impact VAR has on the spectacle.

There’s not a hope in hell it gets binned.

It will evolve and improve, but it’s here to stay

There's no way it gets voted out, especially with semi automated offsides being introduced next season.

Wolves having a -17 for VAR decisions is ridiculous though.

Would be interesting to know how things would have panned out this season without VAR in Scotland.
2 goals in OF games would have stood, Lundstram wouldn't have got sent off. This isn't a clutching at straws argument, had the team done its job v Mother well, Ross County and Dundee we would be winning the league, however, would be interesting to know what impact no VAR would have had.

Then back to the moans of how x decision is missed.
Also, some refs especially up here seem so reliant on it as a fall back method & not wanting to make a big call.
This is what they need to stop doing, the referee still should make the final decision.

Look at Newcastles penalty claim last night. How on earth can they look at that and not award a penalty?
Its just a mistake, VAR is only another ref looking at a game through TV cameras. They miss stuff and make bad decisions just as much as the on field ref. It will never get to 100% accuracy and its why I think they will scrap it when it comes to the vote.

Its just a mistake, VAR is only another ref looking at a game through TV cameras. They miss stuff and make bad decisions just as much as the on field ref. It will never get to 100% accuracy and its why I think they will scrap it when it comes to the vote.
I think there’s not a snowballs chance in hell of it being scrapped

And no, they absolutely do not make as many bad decisions as on field refs who have one view, not even close. They get far more right than they get wrong.

The ref can miss it but how can they watch it on VAR and miss it? It’s the most blatant of blatant penalties.

introduced in the EPL in 2018/19 season

6 years

its hardly new

if anything, its getting worse

The Wolves statement highlights a few things that could be tweaked for better results then arrives at the "nuclear option" if "get rid."

Games need less VAR, and less talking about VAR, not no VAR. Others here have suggested workable options for achieving that. The culture of VAR picking over buildup play to identify any infraction to justify chopping off a goal needs to stop. Football fans know what handball is - it's not "ball bounced off guy's arm as he went up for a header" - that needs to stop. Offside needs to be tweaked to favour attackers and cut out the insanity that rules right now. Refs need to lead on the pitch. Less VAR means less commentary and punditry time spent on VAR.

Back