Progress under Stevie.

Cambuslangger

First post. Be gentle bears...
As a headline I have to say that I think progress has been made. Yes, there has been mistakes and some frustrating results but overall I think you have to look at the long term.
1. We have consolidated second after a huge rebuilding of the squad. I am not happy being second but it’s progress.
2. The Europe run was a bonus but I think it cost us league points. However, the exposure and funds were vital and beyond most of our expectations.
3. We finally laid a glove on the neighbours after a very poor first game.
If we have a reasonable close season I don’t see why next season is not a toe to toe scrap. A few key players in AND out and I think we are in a good place. Stevie will have learned a shed load about the club, players, fans and general expectations. Make no mistake. They scored three injury time winners often against 10 men which turned the season. We lost all of our momentum at the winter break for whatever reason. With a bit of fortune things could have been so different. I am excited and hopeful for next year.

Let’s go..

It was never going to happen over night but we have certainly made progress so alls looking good for next year, there will be a few sleepless nights for our opponents over the summer as they know we’re are about to get stronger and stronger and they can do feck all about it .

Progress has definitely been made albeit we would all wish for that little bit more which would have put real pressure on them.
We have had poor discipline and shocking refereeing decisions go against us, were it not for that we would be much closer.
I think a couple of good additions and we will be challenging from the get go.

Progress has definitely been made albeit we would all wish for that little bit more which would have put real pressure on them.
We have had poor discipline and shocking refereeing decisions go against us, were it not for that we would be much closer.
I think a couple of good additions and we will be challenging from the get go.
And that’s the progress. It’s a “couple” of additions as opposed to wholesale change. Obviously the outs will be as important as the ins. Can we keep Alfie and Tav?? Still need a decent centre half. Midfield is fine imo. It’s now about fine tuning.

Need a player who can hit one from range. Seem to have been missing one over the last couple seasons. One new center back (Mexer) and a winger to replace Candeias- hopefully we can have Kent for another season if not permanently

Let’s wait and see how we’re all feeling after this weekend.

I suspect the outcome of that game will go a long way to cementing perspective on the season as a whole.

If we win our remaining games we will be at worst 6 points behind them (That's the result of one OF game). That counts as progress. If we can cut out the stupid point losses to the likes of Kilmarnock or Dundee, we can genuinely challenge (and that will remain my frustration with this season, we could have done it)

I think the vast majority of bears know there’s been progress, it’s just morons like Sutton blabbering on that there hasn’t been. We conceded 9 goals in 2 games v them, this season we’ve been the better side over the 3 games IMO, just not shown by the results but they’re an improvement as well.

If we win on Sunday and at Killie - then they lose their last game - I think we lose the league by 3 points? If we win on Sunday it'll be 6 points anyway so that's progress. Fully expect us to be much more consistent next season

I reckon we have about halved the gap between the teams in one season. Brenda leaving has helped- not our doing but a reality.

We need the same size leap forward next season to draw about level.

Honestly don't think there's much between the teams now, player for player I reckon we're just as strong and will no doubt strengthen in the summer. I would expect them to standstill at best.

Of course we have made progress, looking forward to the game on sunday knowing we can win. Over the last few years i have been dreading playing them fearing a tanking. That is progress in my book.

2 ways of looking at it for me, progress has been slow but sure, after humiliations against the mhanks and in Europe last season, progress was going to be pretty much a nailed on certainty this season and so it has proved.

However, the facts of the matter are, we were knocked out of the cup to Aberdeen twice in Glasgow, obviously no finals as a result, the league campaign was effectively done and dusted months ago and it’s all the more galling as we have lost out to an average Celtic side.

i don't think there is a single person who doesn't think its been better this year than it was last year but that wouldn't be difficult

has it been good enough given his resources?

given the discipline problems/transfer activity and tactics it could and should have been so much better

the last 2 seasons they have been pretty mediocre and we are still trailing them by a huge margin

Let’s wait and see how we’re all feeling after this weekend.

I suspect the outcome of that game will go a long way to cementing perspective on the season as a whole.
Not so sure. A resounding victory might be met with self satisfaction. But even a big win doesn't hide the fact that better players are needed now and more so if Tav and Morelos leave.

i don't think there is a single person who doesn't think its been better this year than it was last year but that wouldn't be difficult

has it been good enough given his resources?

given the discipline problems/transfer activity and tactics it could and should have been so much better

the last 2 seasons they have been pretty mediocre and we are still trailing them by a huge margin

I don’t think the margin is huge. The winter break came at the worst time for us and in the run up to the split they got away with murder. Three injury time winners, Brown scored one when he shouldn’t have been on the park and we were unlucky at PH given Morelos red card and chances we had with 10 men. You are correct about discipline. Horrendous and has had a real bearing on the season. If that mob think it’s a big margin then I hope they take the foot off the gas squad strengthening wise. Stevie will have learned a huge amount this year and guys like Kamara for me will make a huge difference next year.

2 ways of looking at it for me, progress has been slow but sure, after humiliations against the mhanks and in Europe last season, progress was going to be pretty much a nailed on certainty this season and so it has proved.

However, the facts of the matter are, we were knocked out of the cup to Aberdeen twice in Glasgow, obviously no finals as a result, the league campaign was effectively done and dusted months ago and it’s all the more galling as we have lost out to an average Celtic side.

The cup defeats were pish. We dominated a lot of games and lost or drew whne the opposition only had one or two shots on target. Hence why defence is still my major concern.

I remember at the start of the season saying that my realistic aims for the season were to properly consolidate 2nd, we have done that.

Finally beat the beasts in the league, we have done that

Win a cup, this is the only real failure for me

Anything in Europe was a bonus, we achieved far above what most thought we could do.

All in all I am relatively satisfied but the real trick is to now build on this and improve again. If we can do that then my realistic aim for next season is 55.

I remember at the start of the season saying that my realistic aims for the season were to properly consolidate 2nd, we have done that.

Finally beat the beasts in the league, we have done that

Win a cup, this is the only real failure for me

Anything in Europe was a bonus, we achieved far above what most thought we could do.

All in all I am relatively satisfied but the real trick is to now build on this and improve again. If we can do that then my realistic aim for next season is 55.

Agreed. With the progress I now think the title next season is not an unrealistic target as well as a cup. A run in Europe would be nice but very draw dependant but I feel we are much more prepared going into that draw than last year.

I don’t think the margin is huge. The winter break came at the worst time for us and in the run up to the split they got away with murder. Three injury time winners, Brown scored one when he shouldn’t have been on the park and we were unlucky at PH given Morelos red card and chances we had with 10 men. You are correct about discipline. Horrendous and has had a real bearing on the season. If that mob think it’s a big margin then I hope they take the foot off the gas squad strengthening wise. Stevie will have learned a huge amount this year and guys like Kamara for me will make a huge difference next year.

the margin is enormous

we went top after beating hearts then immediately lost to aberdeen at home and drew away to 10 man dundee

we then pumped the scum at new year , next game we lose to kilmarnock

and that is before we mention the cup games

add in the discipline and we don't even have players with the mentality let alone the skill to win this league

Its been the last 5 games thats gave the feel good factor back.
The worrying thing there is that there were no pressure as the league was gone.
Prior to that we were in the doldrums after xmas.
We have had a good second and the points diference could even be 6 which is great.
Cups were rank.
He has bedded himself in and knows what he needs i take it.
I think we can take this league next season.

Back