Progress v The desperation to stop N/TIAR

HandsomeHead

We easily forget where we were eighteen months ago – getting scudded 4 and 5 nil by that mob with no leadership on the park or on the touchline.

Since Gerrard’s arrival we’re a significantly improved side. There’s no more cakewalks for the Yahoos and we’re just as likely to beat them as they are us now. We’re in a genuine dogfight for the title and playing European football up to Xmas for the second successive season with the coffers boosted significantly as a result.

The transformation has been like night and day, but at the same time we’re still not quite there yet.

Against that however is the desperation to stop nine and ten in a row at any cost and it’s this that threatens to derail us more than any other factor with unrealistic expectations and demands being placed on a squad that is still, when all is said and done, a work that's only eighteen months in progress.

Celtic have had the best part of a decade to build their squad with a free ticket at generating a winning mentality into the bargain and all of it propped up by a huge financial advantage over us and everyone else. I think that is all too easily dismissed.

I always felt this season might still be too much of a stretch to bridge but that we’d get nearer to them in the process and next season was a more likely objective for finally stopping their dominance.

I think we’re still a couple of players away from where we want to be, but we need to let go of this obsession with stopping nine and ten in a row and understand that we’re irrevocably moving in the right direction and at quite a rate of knots.

We will get there.

Agreed. It's absolutely not the time for throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Calm heads are required.

Doesn't make yesterday any easier to take but it will happen for us eventually.

Essentially everything is just a means until we get to that point. I'm almost serene about it all now.

Shouting and screaming will change nothing. Being composed and rational will help far more.

We easily forget where we were eighteen months ago – getting scudded 4 and 5 nil by that mob with no leadership on the park or on the touchline.

Since Gerrard’s arrival we’re a significantly improved side. There’s no more cakewalks for the Yahoos and we’re just as likely to beat them as they are us now. We’re in a genuine dogfight for the title and playing European football up to Xmas for the second successive season with the coffers boosted significantly as a result.

The transformation has been like night and day, but at the same time we’re still not quite there yet.

Against that however is the desperation to stop nine and ten in a row at any cost and it’s this that threatens to derail us more than any other factor with unrealistic expectations and demands being placed on a squad that is still, when all is said and done, a work that's only eighteen months in progress.

Celtic have had the best part of a decade to build their squad with a free ticket at generating a winning mentality into the bargain and all of it propped up by a huge financial advantage over us and everyone else. I think that is all too easily dismissed.

I always felt this season might still be too much of a stretch to bridge but that we’d get nearer to them in the process and next season was a more likely objective for finally stopping their dominance.

I think we’re still a couple of players away from where we want to be, but we need to let go of this obsession with stopping nine and ten in a row and understand that we’re irrevocably moving in the right direction and at quite a rate of knots.

We will get there.

We have progressed there can be absolutely no doubt about it. However there can also be absolutely no doubt that this season is following last season in terms of big games domestically.

Them at Ibrox
Hearts away
Sheep away
Hampden

We’ve found a consistency against the smaller teams away from home that was missing last season but come the crunch we’ve come up short again. It’s disappointing we’ve not improved where it’s really mattered domestically.

Hopefully we can get to the Scottish Cup Final and keep plugging away in the league but I think we are sadly a couple of players away this season.

Results-wise, we still haven't lifted silverware and at the end of the day that's all the matters - no excuses on that front

Performance-wise, we left it all on the park yesterday. It's clear if we play like that we beat them more often than not. A bit of a freak day yesterday.

We're getting closer but the agonising wait goes on. No point ripping it up and starting again at this stage. It's clear how far we have progressed.

We will get there.
That's a good post. I certainly want them stopped,but dont want the great strides we've made by getting dragged down by the 9/10 in a row frenzy.

They'll need to get to 15 in a row for me to recognise it as an achievement.

Ever since Gerrard walked through the door we have been on nothing but an upward curve. Yesterday doesn't change that as painful as it was.

We either let yesterday define us as a club or we man up and move on from it and use it as fuel going forward.

Yesterday convinced me even more we're on the right track. 18 months ago that mob took 4 and 5 off us withour breaking sweat.

Good post, calm heads needed for these next few weeks.
If we can come through it winning every league game and even a draw at the Knew Camp, we have a great chance

I can understand the sentiment but if you are manager of Rangers you get judged by winning trophies not almost winning trophies.

The harsh reality is if we are sitting here in the summer having finished even just a point behind them and losing the Scottish cup to them as well that’s a disastrous season and I’m not sure even Walter Smith would survive losing 6 trophies in a row against them.

No if’s or buts about it we need to win start winning trophies this season full stop.

I can understand the sentiment but if you are manager of Rangers you get judged by winning trophies not almost winning trophies.

The harsh reality is if we are sitting here in the summer having finished even just a point behind them and losing the Scottish cup to them as well that’s a disastrous season and I’m not sure even Walter Smith would survive losing 6 trophies in a row against them.

No if’s or buts about it we need to win start winning trophies this season full stop.
Spot on.

I don't care what they do.

Even if they do get 10, so what? To do it, they had to have us scuttled using political interference (Reid), an honest mistake in the tax calculation (aye, right), illegal withholding of prize money, club punished for force majeure events, pressure applied to other teams to vote us out, compliance officers who never seem to cite celtic players yet ours get banned at the drop of a hat, illegal transfer bans etc.

When we reclaim our throne, it will finish many of them, because they thought they'd killed us.

So, forgive me for my language here, but fućk those scummy cunts. What they do means nothing to me.

We have progressed there can be absolutely no doubt about it. However there can also be absolutely no doubt that this season is following last season in terms of big games domestically.

Them at Ibrox
Hearts away
Sheep away
Hampden

We’ve found a consistency against the smaller teams away from home that was missing last season but come the crunch we’ve come up short again. It’s disappointing we’ve not improved where it’s really mattered domestically.

Hopefully we can get to the Scottish Cup Final and keep plugging away in the league but I think we are sadly a couple of players away this season.

Hearts and Aberdeen were just games that happen during a season. Traditionally they've always been tough venues to go to. I don't have any great issue with dropped points there.

Yesterday was one of those games. I can't remember as one sided an Old Firm cup final as that. It was ridiculous. Alfie was trying too hard to break his duck. Had it been against anyone else he would have had a hat trick. Then they win with one of only two chances they had all game with a goal that would have been ruled out by VAR.

It's that defeat at Ibrox earlier in the season that's been the biggest gripe for me up until now. I felt they all too easily rattled us out of our gameplan that day and my worry prior to yesterday was that they would do so again.

I was delighted that we never allowed that to happen and showed that when we're up for it they struggle to live with us.

Strangely I feel more optimistic about the season now than I did before kick off yesterday.

We're really not very far away at all.

I don't care what they do.

Even if they do get 10, so what? To do it, they had to have us scuttled using political interference (Reid), an honest mistake in the tax calculation (aye, right), illegal withholding of prize money, club punished for force majeure events, pressure applied to other teams to vote us out, compliance officers who never seem to cite celtic players yet ours get banned at the drop of a hat, illegal transfer bans etc.

When we reclaim our throne, it will finish many of them, because they thought they'd killed us.

So, forgive me for my language here, but fućk those scummy cunts. What they do means nothing to me.

That mob could win the next 20 titles in a row but as soon as we get that one league then everything that they achieved before hand will go out the window and mean fu.ck all because they will not be able to handle or comprehend it.

Let's say we do finish the season one behind and they've won a fourth successive treble. Would that be a reason to rip up what Gerrard is building?

That is precisely what I'm getting at: we are progressing quickly against a club with a huge financial advantage who have had a free ride for 8 or 9 years.

Two seasons to stop NIAR was always asking a lot, and yet we're close. There's actually a very good chance we could do it.

He absolutely would under these circumstances, especially if he'd had to build virtually an entirely new team on a fraction of the budget of Celtic.

If Gerrard finishes within a few points of Celtic, and gets to the knockout rounds of the Europa League too, he gets at least another season. I think a lot of people are forgetting how far behind them we actually were when Gerrard came in the door.

That mob could win the next 20 titles in a row but as soon as we get that one league then everything that they achieved before hand will go out the window and mean fu.ck all because they will not be able to handle or comprehend it.
Whatever way they look at it will end them. Their rival who they tried to kill came back from the bottom, without a pot to piss in and built themselves back to the pinnacle.

Or...

A new club with no history made an unprecedented rise from the bottom tier to the top in just a few seasons, winning every lower level trophy on the way, took a couple of years to acclimatise to the demands of the top league then beat the all conquering invinciblest bestest team ever, and kept them under their heel thereafter.

That's a good post. I certainly want them stopped,but dont want the great strides we've made by getting dragged down by the 9/10 in a row frenzy.

They'll need to get to 15 in a row for me to recognise it as an achievement.

Totally agree with your "15 in a row" comments, have had this discussion with my sons and plenty others, I am not bothered by their 10 in a row chat, it will not be a real 10 in a row achievement due to us being unfairly and unjustly treated and taken out of the picture, as far as i'm concerned there will always be an asterisk against their titles when we were out the league. Our time is coming very soon and because of the work and improvements in the background I am convinced our success will be sustained for the long term! Natural order is coming back soon!

I tend to agree with this.

The desperation to stop them from doing 10 in a row is filtering through from the fans to the team, via the media, and it's probably adding to much pressure to a management team and a squad that is not yet equipped to handle it.

People lost their damn minds after the Young Boys defeat and legitimately seemed to want Tav to be stripped of the captaincy. Then Tav misses a penalty against Motherwell and the nonsense from here hits the media and suddenly Gerrard is fielding questions about Tav being removed as penalty taker.

Then of course we have a MASSIVE penalty and the guy who we always relied on is handing the ball over to a player who is looking like he could play all day and not convert a chance.

Unfortunately they have taken this 10 in a row thing in their stride. The look like a team that is just strolling to trophy after trophy with no pressure on them at all. The last time we had a proper timmy meltdown was back when they lost to Cluj.

He absolutely would under these circumstances, especially if he'd had to build virtually an entirely new team on a fraction of the budget of Celtic.

If Gerrard finishes within a few points of Celtic, and gets to the knockout rounds of the Europa League too, he gets at least another season. I think a lot of people are forgetting how far behind them we actually were when Gerrard came in the door.

I’m not saying he’ll be sacked but not sure if he would want to continue after 2 seasons without a trophy and the filth winning two trebles.

King has also already said as well that our budget will likely be going down from next season. I honestly cannot see Gerrard wanting to work with a smaller budget of maybe less than £5m a season on players.

Again not advocating his sacking in any way shape or form but he must win the league this season as if not austerity will weaken us more in the years to come.

I’m not saying he’ll be sacked but not sure if he would want to continue after 2 seasons without a trophy and the filth winning two trebles.

King has also already said as well that our budget will likely be going down from next season. I honestly cannot see Gerrard wanting to work with a smaller budget of maybe less than £5m a season on players.

Again not advocating his sacking in any way shape or form but he must win the league this season as if not austerity will weaken us more in the years to come.

I'm pretty sure King never said to him 'you have two years to win the title' when handing him a four year deal that he's since extended.

We're looking much longer term than a hollow Tim Ten In A Row.

What if he wins the league by a point and completes the double.

See it’s just as easy to write positive without always looking at things from a negative angle.
Support means support through thick and thin, fed up reading the negative angles on here.

They see Ten in a row as a god given right for them and God help anyone who puts a stop to that.It does influence decisions in games,

However - Yesterday just felt worse because of how close we were and knowing they were there for the taking. It doesn't make it feel any easier though, but we were very close to giving them an absolute doing.

Yesterday it didn't come off for us, that will change in the not too distant future.

What if he wins the league by a point and completes the double.

See it’s just as easy to write positive without always looking at things from a negative angle.
Support means support through thick and thin, fed up reading the negative angles on here.

it’s negative angles cause quite frankly our domestic form is negative.

Dropped points to a Hearts side that gets hammered pretty much every week and who were without a manager, drop points to Aberdeen who then go out and lose 3-0 to Hibs, lost twice to Lennon in two games.

Said it on another thread optimism is fine but blind optimism isn’t.

it’s negative angles cause quite frankly our domestic form is negative.

Dropped points to a Hearts side that gets hammered pretty much every week and who were without a manager, drop points to Aberdeen who then go out and lose 3-0 to Hibs, lost twice to Lennon in two games.

Said it on another thread optimism is fine but blind optimism isn’t.

Im just amazed how negative you seem to know how our season will end up.

They see Ten in a row as a god given right for them and God help anyone who puts a stop to that.It does influence decisions in games,

However - Yesterday just felt worse because of how close we were and knowing they were there for the taking. It doesn't make it feel any easier though, but we were very close to giving them an absolute doing.

Yesterday it didn't come off for us, that will change in the not too distant future.

Finally some sense

I tend to agree with this.

The desperation to stop them from doing 10 in a row is filtering through from the fans to the team, via the media, and it's probably adding to much pressure to a management team and a squad that is not yet equipped to handle it.

People lost their damn minds after the Young Boys defeat and legitimately seemed to want Tav to be stripped of the captaincy. Then Tav misses a penalty against Motherwell and the nonsense from here hits the media and suddenly Gerrard is fielding questions about Tav being removed as penalty taker.

Then of course we have a MASSIVE penalty and the guy who we always relied on is handing the ball over to a player who is looking like he could play all day and not convert a chance.

Unfortunately they have taken this 10 in a row thing in their stride. The look like a team that is just strolling to trophy after trophy with no pressure on them at all. The last time we had a proper timmy meltdown was back when they lost to Cluj.
It always helps when referees make sure you get a wee helping hand .

and that is there biggest fear

It always helps when referees make sure you get a wee helping hand .

The problem with this attitude, for me, is that it always allows for some "papering over the cracks" where our own failings can go unchecked as the refereeing becomes a shield for legitimate criticism.

Our future stability and rebuilding around the whole club is more important than stopping 10 in a row. A stronger Rangers working within our means and challenging without putting our finances at risk is what we need to do. We simply can't blow everything trying to stop it.

There’s a potential psychological problem this team may have to overcome before we play them in their midden at the end of the month.

If we both win all our games up to then, they’ll have played 1 game more than us, and could be 5 points ahead before we even kick a ball. The televised Friday game versus Hibs has cost us the ability to play that midweek.

I agree to an extent with the OP...considering where we were the progress has been superb under Gerrard.

In saying that, all that matters is silverware and specifically the league. If they win the league this year they'll spend an absolute fortune to guarantee 10 in a row (tainted or not).

Unfortunately they have taken this 10 in a row thing in their stride
Yes, I think we may have to start thinking slightly longer term for our recovery now. I think we’ll get there with Gerrard but 10IAR may be something we have to swallow. I’m getting to the point where I’m not sure I can see us stopping them. It pains me to say it but they’ve got a helluva momentum going. I could see them lifting a treble this season and next before trailing off.

Also, the whole “tainted“ thing feels like sour grapes to me. It’s 10 titles in a row whether we want it or not.

Yes, I think we may have to start thinking slightly longer term for our recovery now. I think we’ll get there with Gerrard but 10IAR may be something we have to swallow. I’m getting to the point where I’m not sure I can see us stopping them. It pains me to say it but they’ve got a helluva momentum going. I could see them lifting a treble this season and next before trailing off.

I agree, but every man and their dug knows it’s not a real or fair 10 - despite what they might claim.

55 will kill them and it might very well happen this season. I’d actually say that the only team stopping us winning the league is ourselves.

I have never even given their 10 ,never mind 9 ,should be 5 in a row any thought tbh.
We have made unbelievable progress under Stevie Gerrard and will continue to do so.
The club as a whole on and off the park has come on leaps and bounds and will continue to do so.
We have caught up with them and will now dominate in the near future.
Saying that i thought we would have easily beaten them yesterday pre match.
Our time IS coming.

Sadly, I think last season was the chance.

How the club was run and decisions that were made has f*cked us over big time.

As it happens we end up beating them in a cup semi-final that causes them to freak the hell out and start splashing the cash. They bring in a top quality manager.

This gives us no chance for 2016/17 and 2017/18.

If we had been getting our sh!t together though then when they had an inevitable dip in form, maybe due to stagnation or boredom or whatever, we could have been waiting prepared and ready to throw down a 90+ point season and win the league.

Instead, when they were f*cking up we were trying out a rookie manager and an inexperienced squad.

So now when we do have everything in order the tims have freshened up and focused and are looking at the next 2 seasons as almost the biggest in their history.

Circumstances have f*cked us basically and right now we are looking at either they crumble under the pressure of 10 in a row or we wait for their next dip due to the stagnation of just winning all the time.

We need to forget it and continue to rebuild at all levels....we are seeing positive signs at youth level, and scouting is being revamped too. We can't sack manager and coaches with every setback.

However last year was the year...they were sloppy and really poor.

Everybody is hurting today. It’s not the time for knee jerk reactions though, we are heading in the right direction.
What is keeping my spirit up is the display of the team.not one of them I felt let me down,they left nothing on that pitch and we comprehensively outplayed them and all that without our most important midfielder missing in Davis,Ryan jack bossed it and our much maligned defence were solid and didn’t give their fwd players a sniff.if anything else our players must now realize that we are not far away.we play at our best we are more than a match for them

We need to forget it and continue to rebuild at all levels....we are seeing positive signs at youth level, and scouting is being revamped too. We can't sack manager and coaches with every setback.

However last year was the year...they were sloppy and really poor.

They could afford to be. We were in our first season under Gerrard with a fraction of their spend. He did well under the circumstances.

This year we've taken it up a level, but unfortunately they've risen to the challenge when many seemed to expect them to crumble.

I haven't checked, but I suspect after 15 games one defeat and two draws would see us top of the table more seasons than not.

I dont think we can be rational about this. We have to stop them.

If they win 10 in a row it will completely demoralise us. 2012 will have done its job. They aren't that good which makes it all the worse.

We can say they won a few of them without a challenge but the history books wont say that.

What is keeping my spirit up is the display of the team.not one of them I felt let me down,they left nothing on that pitch and we comprehensively outplayed them and all that without our most important midfielder missing in Davis,Ryan jack bossed it and our much maligned defence were solid and didn’t give their fwd players a sniff.if anything else our players must now realize that we are not far away.we play at our best we are more than a match for them

Exactly. There is a lot to be positive about. It just wasn’t our day, sure, it’s a massive kick in the balls, but we are heading in the right direction.

If they win 10 in a row it will completely demoralise us. 2012 will have done its job. They aren't that good which makes it all the worse.

We can say they won a few of them without a challenge but the history books wont say that.
We,'re lucky we have a club and to derail the future which is going in the right direction,Is just giving them another victory over us,by doing something irrational. They won't break me wether they've done it or not.what would sicken me is if we do something that harms our progress and puts us back years.

As much as some dont want to hear it,patience is needed for the well being of the club.

I understand your point OP abs it is very clear Gerrard has taken us forward very well in terms of the ability of the 11 and the gap to them is pretty much non existent now from a quality point of view, 6 old firms since Gerrard cane in and there was only really 1 of them that they dominated, we dominated 3 of them.

Bottom line though is our entire history is built off of winning trophies and domestic success, it’s impossible to claim the long term success of Gerrards time as Rangers manager won’t be viewed as the same.

If any other Club in that League had managed to win the League and broke that pattern then Steven Gerrard would be universally praised for the job he has done. The rivalry with us and Celtic is so intense that he won't get any recognition from a large part of our support until we stop them in their tracks. It's just the way it is. Pretty sure he knew that when he took the job on. I highly doubt he knew he would be on the receiving end of so many "honest mistakes" right enough

For me, it's the polar opposite. Unless we're rational we won't stop them.
Both goals are very similar if not identical. If we continue to progress, we stop them in their tracks. What we must not do, and what Gerrard will know anyway, is prioritirise beating them in the short term and jeapordise stopping them in the medium.
It's f'n sore but it's the only way given where we were and the environment we are forced to operate in.

Last edited:
My worry is if we don’t stop 9 , we will probably have to sell Morelos this summer and who knows who we will replace him with, we might not be stronger next season , this season is crucial and if we don’t go on a winning run now our hopes of stepping them will slip away.

Did you seriously expect any other team to win the league while we were demoted ? As soon as we were put down the divisions it became clear they were onto at least 6 or 7 titles in a row . What is a huge slur on our game is they have been allowed to win a farcical 31 cup ties in a row. That shouldn’t happen anywhere in football . Someone somehow needs to beat them in a cup game . Their luck cannot last forever.

Back