Project Brave - Scottish FA confirm Project Brave elite academy list

The mhanks have failed in a bid to have the alphabet rearranged to begin with C so the SFA are creating a special Elite Plus group for them.

564436-malky-mackay-and-stewart-regan.jpg

Regan: "Don't say darkies, don't say darkies, don't say darkies..."

Last edited:
The Rangers youth system and academy is the best in this country by a mile. We are already doing more to give our youths a chance to get into the first team and then become a successful football player. Do we need to be involved with the corrupt SFA?

The Rangers youth system and academy is the best in this country by a mile. We are already doing more to give our youths a chance to get into the first team and then become a successful football player. Do we need to be involved with the corrupt SFA?
No thanks , I think our staff are perfectly capable of bringing the best out of our youth rather than risk those buffoons at the SFA having any part of it .

Exactly. The families still haven't been told what the implications are for their boys. A ridiculous situation given the commitments made by them.

Most 'elite' academies do not have the resources to send scouts/coaches out to watch local football on a Saturday morning. That means that unless these kids progress quickly and get noticed at a regional level (usually at a tournament) then they could just be hundreds of kids who fall through the gap.

There is some real talent out there, even at 7/8/9 years of age - I work with my sons team - I've yet to see anyone from any club, anywhere come along to watch.

This feels like a box ticker and another way for the SFA to pat themselves on the back and tell themselves they are doing a great job.

Most 'elite' academies do not have the resources to send scouts/coaches out to watch local football on a Saturday morning. That means that unless these kids progress quickly and get noticed at a regional level (usually at a tournament) then they could just be hundreds of kids who fall through the gap.

There is some real talent out there, even at 7/8/9 years of age - I work with my sons team - I've yet to see anyone from any club, anywhere come along to watch.

This feels like a box ticker and another way for the SFA to pat themselves on the back and tell themselves they are doing a great job.

I know what you mean mate, re the boys club level.

I apologise, I'd misread your earlier post. I was meaning the families of the boys who are currently in the pro youth system.

My son has 4 close friends who are pro youth with 3 different clubs. Theyre excellent boys with decent families. The commitments shown are incredible, even just to get to training, distance travelled, etc. Not one of them know what is happening with the changes in the system and how it will affect their kids.

I think that's pretty poor.

I apologise, I'd misread your earlier post. I was meaning the families of the boys who are currently in the pro youth system.

My son has 4 close friends who are pro youth with 3 different clubs. Theyre excellent boys with decent families. The commitments shown are incredible, even just to get to training, distance travelled, etc. Not one of them know what is happening with the changes in the system and how it will affect their kids.

We are one of those families, my son is currently with St Mirren and we travel 3 times a week to Paisley from Oban for training and again on a Sunday for a game, we are finding out next week what will be happening next year. In my opinion the SFA have put the clubs in an impossible situation with the criteria that is needed to be considered at elite level, costing the clubs more money that some of them just dont have there are some clubs who have youth academies that are not even listed in any of sections, there will be loads of kids at all levels who fall through the net and if you dont live in the central belt kids will have no chance of being scouted.

Thats ok bud. I take your point.

I've seen kids in the pro-youth system who are just not as good as some I've seen on a saturday morning. That was my point.

In terms of the kids in the pro-youth system just now - your point is valid too. It feels like its being shaken up for no particular reason. The fact that parents/carers have not been engaged with is a disgrace.

It terms of the commitment required, I agree too.....even for us with local clubs, just the volume of 'stuff' you need to do even before getting them to and from training/games/tournaments.....absolutely mental.

And what is it for? Really? Ok, most just love playing footy, but some want to make a career of it (even at that age) - how can they do that if they won't ever be spotted? Its all luck - but back in the day the scouts knew where to look.......it wasn't local clubs who happen to train and play on their facilities (like one club does........).

Unfortunately, there is one club in particular that goes out of their way to go and watch local teams........

I think we recieve a fee from our players being selected at various levels which can be re-invested into Auchenhowie. Worth being involved IMO.

Pro youth isn't up to much from what I've seen. The boys are more aggressive but in the main, it's no better than many grassroots sides.

I've seen PT, AFC, CFC and DU under 13 pro-youth, CFC being the only group who played a passing style from the back, Thistle have a 6ft black boy up front who just rag dolls defenders, decent player but when everyone catches up physically?

AFC had speed up front but played a lot of kick and rush and DU were brutal. Not seen Rangers so can't comment.

The pro-youth are cherry picking some boys at 7 and by the time they're 18, they're no better than the rest of the boys. By making it an exclusive group we are not exposing these supposed elite boys to the greater footballing population and it becomes cosy and easy.

Hey ho - only another 10 years until the next think tank.

Let's hope this brings significant and worthwhile change. We need to try something different. The SFA have created a structure (I'm assuming in line with the clubs) so it's up to us to make the best use of it. We're clearly doing something right at youth level now so hopefully this helps add to it.

I think we recieve a fee from our players being selected at various levels which can be re-invested into Auchenhowie. Worth being involved IMO.
If they (the SFA) are giving us money as you state then fine, but if they are trying to impose their standards, methods or processes then we need to keep them well away from our set up - regardless of finance.

Thats ok bud. I take your point.

I've seen kids in the pro-youth system who are just not as good as some I've seen on a saturday morning. That was my point.

In terms of the kids in the pro-youth system just now - your point is valid too. It feels like its being shaken up for no particular reason. The fact that parents/carers have not been engaged with is a disgrace.

It terms of the commitment required, I agree too.....even for us with local clubs, just the volume of 'stuff' you need to do even before getting them to and from training/games/tournaments.....absolutely mental.

And what is it for? Really? Ok, most just love playing footy, but some want to make a career of it (even at that age) - how can they do that if they won't ever be spotted? Its all luck - but back in the day the scouts knew where to look.......it wasn't local clubs who happen to train and play on their facilities (like one club does........).

Unfortunately, there is one club in particular that goes out of their way to go and watch local teams........

Mate i watch loads of games and have passed kids to the clubs i look out for. Dont be kidded kids arent watched. 1 managers refuse the club permission to speak to the parent.
2. The travel involved puts loads off
3. Kids dont just jump ship from playing boys club to go pro youth main reason there pals play there.

I just last sunday passed a kid to the higher people at murray park. U14. Cracker

Mate i watch loads of games and have passed kids to the clubs i look out for. Dont be kidded kids arent watched. 1 managers refuse the club permission to speak to the parent.
2. The travel involved puts loads off
3. Kids dont just jump ship from playing boys club to go pro youth main reason there pals play there.

I just last sunday passed a kid to the higher people at murray park. U14. Cracker

Fair enough bud, you are the exception that proves the rule possibly.

Fair enough bud, you are the exception that proves the rule possibly.

I can't speak for everywhere but my boy is u13 in the Paisley and Johnston District. Apart from the odd bloke, as a parent I haven't noticed scouts at games because they try not to be intrusive so, parents like me and importantly, the boys, don't know they're there.

However Scouts must have been around because 3 boys out of our group have progressed to pro youth in the last 18 months.

I can't speak for everywhere but my boy is u13 in the Paisley and Johnston District. Apart from the odd bloke, as a parent I haven't noticed scouts at games because they try not to be intrusive so, parents like me and importantly, the boys, don't know they're there.

However Scouts must have been around because 3 boys out of our group have progressed to pro youth in the last 18 months.

Taking Lanarkshire as a area i see most weekends Scouts from

Rangers
Celtic
Motherwell
Accies
Killie
Falkirk
Thistle
Dundee Utd

most of these guys dont wear any club colours but they will have there club ID badges and they should also have there licence badge from the SFA as all club Academy Scouts are now licenced.If they are to make a approach they must do it via a official from the boys Boys Club team.
The scouts cover all age groups from fun 4s to u17s certain Scouts will cover certain age groups but they are out there.
Rangers are well represented at Academy Scouting Level covering most of the country.

Taking Lanarkshire as a area i see most weekends Scouts from

Rangers
Celtic
Motherwell
Accies
Killie
Falkirk
Thistle
Dundee Utd

most of these guys dont wear any club colours but they will have there club ID badges and they should also have there licence badge from the SFA as all club Academy Scouts are now licenced.If they are to make a approach they must do it via a official from the boys Boys Club team.
The scouts cover all age groups from fun 4s to u17s certain Scouts will cover certain age groups but they are out there.
Rangers are well represented at Academy Scouting Level covering most of the country.[/QUOT

That's how I understood it too. There would be no reason for a parent to know a scout was there until he approached a kids coach.

I'm not against us being involved in this but it seems to me we are getting somewhere with the coaching system at Auchenhowie with or without involvement in the project.

I do have an have an issue with Malky Mackay on this. If he is to deliver on this project it needs a well thought out strategy with progressive coaching ideas and clear direction (Lets hope that's the case) from someone how can lead this for a long period in time, no less than 5 years IMO, not someone who considers himself a candidate for the national team manager post the minute the incumbent is no longer there. I doubt he'll last in post.

Don't like the title Project Brave, makes us sound like a bunch of extras from braveheart. Surely that mind set is long gone.

If they (the SFA) are giving us money as you state then fine, but if they are trying to impose their standards, methods or processes then we need to keep them well away from our set up - regardless of finance.

Think we would meet their standard regardless, it is the smaller clubs who would struggle to meet them. For example one of them is having a club doctor with a masters degree.

All top clubs (like us) will have this but a team like Motherwell for example maybe couldn’t afford that at academy level.

Think we would meet their standard regardless, it is the smaller clubs who would struggle to meet them. For example one of them is having a club doctor with a masters degree.

All top clubs (like us) will have this but a team like Motherwell for example maybe couldn’t afford that at academy level.

why the need for such a doctor to be on staff? How does that help to develop footballers?

why the need for such a doctor to be on staff? How does that help to develop footballers?

You are preaching to the chior mate. I have been to Achenhowie and saw kids (aged 8) fake injury on certain nights because they no the know the massuist is in and they come off the park & away for a massage. Kid you not.

I agree our clubs need to move with the times but I would start stuff like that once they go to eleven aside, not 5/6 years old. They need to enjoy playing in the early years.

Back