Prolific SquareMile

Robert Marshall

A squre mile in the East End of Glasgow has produced, imo, an unprecidented footballers to haveplayed in the top division of both Englad and Scotland and in some cases both
The square mile from Parkhead to the Calton and Dennistoun to Bridgeton
Here is my list
Ian Ferguson
Alex Mcleish
Alex Rae
James McArthur
Robert Snodgrass
Tommy Burns
Jim Melrose
Jim Tolmie
Joe Miller
Gerry Collins
Davie Hayes
edit Willie Miller
There may be others
Is there anywhere else in Scotland can beat this

Last edited:
A squre mile in the East End of Glasgow has produced, imo, an unprecidented footballers to haveplayed in the top division of both Englad and Scotland and in some cases both
Here is my list
Ian Ferguson
Alex Mcleish
Alex Rae
James McArthur
Robert Snodgrass
Tommy Burns
Jim Melrose
Jim Tolmie
Joe Miller
Gerry Collins
Davie Hayes
There may be others
You forgot to include James Blaney in that list

Here is my list
Ian Ferguson
Alex Mcleish
Alex Rae
James McArthur
Robert Snodgrass
Tommy Burns
Jim Melrose
Jim Tolmie
Joe Miller
Gerry Collins
Davie Hayes
There may be others
Some boxer

Don't know where they all came from but Bobby Dinnie had dozens of professionals come through Possil YM. Kenny Dalglish, Gary McSwegan, Tony Fitzpatrick, Jim Duffy and Bobby Russell according to a recent ET article. I remember my Uncle telling me about the amount and rhymed off many names but I was a wee boy at the time.

Is big Eck not from Barrhead?

Maybe you meant Willie Miller, from Bridgeton
Sorry missed Miller, Alex McLeish was born in Duke Street Hospital and his first family home wasParkhead, they then moved to Kinning Park and on to Bar
You are pished, aren’t you? :D
Why, I find it quite interesting, sorry you don't agee

Last edited:
Don't know where they all came from but Bobby Dinnie had dozens of professionals come through Possil YM. Kenny Dalglish, Gary McSwegan, Tony Fitzpatrick, Jim Duffy and Bobby Russell according to a recent ET article. I remember my Uncle telling me about the amount and rhymed off many names but I was a wee boy at the time.
Yes but from all over Glasgow, same as Eastercraigs

Here is my list
Ian Ferguson
Alex Mcleish
Alex Rae
James McArthur
Robert Snodgrass
Tommy Burns
Jim Melrose
Jim Tolmie
Joe Miller
Gerry Collins
Davie Hayes
edit Willie Miller
There may be others
Bobby Russel?

Good easterhouse boy I’m sure

Something in that I think, like hungry boxers. Unfortunately some fall into the usual traps.
Alex rae used to booze on a Thursday night so he didn't have a hangover for a game on a Saturday. When he was a young teen.. loads fall into the traps. It's mad though like most will go feck it I'd rather go out with my pals but it's the ones who can break the mould that succeed in most cases

I think it produces a hunger in poorer people, unfortuanetly I was hopless at football

I think your right. Also I think kids in deprived areas don’t necessarily get the chance to play other more expensive sports.

My own kids play football but like most of their mates they also play rugby, tennis, squash etc. They are blessed with the opportunities to try lots of different sports. It’s part of the reason that apart from Colin stein nobody has ever made it in football from the town I’m in. Kids are soft. I notice it when I watch my eldest play in his 2013 league.

Actually, I know Alex well and done amazing to turn his life around, although I think he owes it more to Linda. Derek was a talent as well
I've met him at a few things and heard his story,same with Andy mclaren couldn't walk to the shops without people offering him stuff and to come into the pub etc

I think your right. Also I think kids in deprived areas don’t necessarily get the chance to play other more expensive sports.

My own kids play football but like most of their mates they also play rugby, tennis, squash etc. They are blessed with the opportunities to try lots of different sports. It’s part of the reason that apart from Colin stein nobody has ever made it in football from the town I’m in. Kids are soft. I notice it when I watch my eldest play in his 2013 league.
Times have changed but still too much poverty, difference isthere are very few youth clubs in the ares that need them most

Robert we need a map of the square mile so we know the cut offs.

Only jesting. Interesting thread.

Here is my list
Ian Ferguson
Alex Mcleish
Alex Rae
James McArthur
Robert Snodgrass
Tommy Burns
Jim Melrose
Jim Tolmie
Joe Miller
Gerry Collins
Davie Hayes
edit Willie Miller
There may be others
Yes there is. Kingsridge secondary school in Drumchapel. Alex Miller, Danny McGrain, Andy Gray. John Mac Donald, Gregor Stevens, Kenny McDowall, Gary McDowall, Jimmy Brand Brian Thom, Neil Howie, Gordon Soutar, Jake King, John Arroll,Jim Wilson, Charlie West,Rab McGinn, Davie Booth among others

Yes there is. Kingsridge secondary school in Drumchapel. Alex Miller, Danny McGrain, Andy Gray. John Mac Donald, Gregor Stevens, Kenny McDowall, Gary McDowall, Jimmy Brand Brian Thom, Neil Howie, Gordon Soutar, Jake King, John Arroll,Jim Wilson, Charlie West,Rab McGinn, Davie Booth among others
There are a lot more from the East End but I only included he ones that played at rthe highest level in Scotland and England
I have no ide who some of these guys are, the first six are well known
Were they all born locally?

Back