Qatar World Cup: the human cost

Players will now (rightly) walk from the pitch if racist behaviour eminates from the stands. Perhaps the high profile international players from the "big 7" countries should simply refuse to play in Qatar - or any other country in the future who are notorious for human rights abuses

I was there 4 years ago and you could see what was going on. People being bussed in and out of the building sites working all the hours of the day. If you went to the shopping malls they were queues at the money transfer kiosks. Then there was poor blokes who used to follow the Qataries horses shoveling up what ever came out of the horses backside. Plenty money in the country but built on cheap labour.

Those that are lucky to survive work to horrendous contracts as well. The stories I've heard are low pay working 3 years on 3 months off.
When I was there it was 2 years on and 2 months off. While the money is shite in our eyes it's a lot to the guys from India and Pakistan. I was there in a consultancy capacity for 3 years covering 2 sites running at the same time. There were 5000 workers between both jobs and there was one fatality in 3 years. I personally knew the lad that died. While conditions were bad due to the extreme heat most of these workers go at a snails pace and do %^*& all if no one is keeping an eye on them. Most of the guys are happy to be there and earning a wage as there was nothing for them in their own countries.
That said qataris are a bunch of horrible cunts.

Back