Queen's Park win League Two

What’s the situation with Willie Haughey and the funding of QPFC ? Heard they have attracted players from Championship level since they went Professional

What’s the situation with Willie Haughey and the funding of QPFC ? Heard they have attracted players from Championship level since they went Professional
They have Simon Murray (ginger ex-Hibs), Jai Quitongo and Louis Longridge who were all playing at higher levels last season

Back in the good ole days of the ’60’s, I used to train with them as a schoolboy with big Harold Davis as the coach. He was very tough with the youngsters, but fair. I was very lucky to have had such an experience. Hence, I tend to check their results most weekends. Well done the Queens.

My mother's team while living next to Hampden. Her and her 3 mates used to dance at half time in the centre circle.
She was still in school and received a free seat and some sweets. Then she moved to Mosspark and walked to Ibrox to see the Gers.

Well done to them. My dad was a Queens fan. I could have become one. Fortunately, I had an older brother who showed me the true path.

Well deserved. Will they be in lesser Hampden by next season

Construction at Lesser Hampden is unlikely to be finished in time for the start of next season. Is way behind schedule and believe they're in dispute with the contractors who were working on it.

Problem they have is the clubs they're most likely to ground share with (Falkirk, Airdrie and Clyde) are possibly all in the same division next season.

I've hated them ever since my Dad took me when i was about 7. Nothing more depressing/soul destroying than going to a game as a youngster filled with ideas of packed stadiums and noise only to get 350 guys sat in a soulless Hampden main stand. I kept expecting people to turn up to fill the ground and it was only once the half time whistle blow that i probably realised 'this is it!'.

To be fair he never took me back so i guess he thought it was shite too.

My local team and I went to watch them occasionally when Rangers were away and I was too young to travel. Always look for their score.

In the old days I would have been happy to congratulate them. However encountering some of their fans who were thoroughly obnoxious when we were in the lower leagues has put me off a bit. Also I think it's a pity they have gone professional, a bit of football tradition has been lost (not sure what their fans, good or bad, think about it).

Ok, I'll resurrect the old what if question. What if they had followed the crowd and turned professional. Given they were the most successful club at the time, would an evolving dominant QP have stunted the growth of Rangers for example. Personally I think it may well have.

It's strange the love in people on here have for other teams.
I don’t think it’s a love in I think it’s respect for a very historic Scottish team , in a country where we have a dearth of anything to be positive about under the current regime , Rangers aside .

Ok, I'll resurrect the old what if question. What if they had followed the crowd and turned professional. Given they were the most successful club at the time, would an evolving dominant QP have stunted the growth of Rangers for example. Personally I think it may well have.

Can never tell but its a good question.

For what it's worth I would say yes. People flock to success and if they were the most successful team at this time naturally more people would have been drawn.

It's strange the love in people on here have for other teams.
Wouldnt go as far as to say its a love in, but people can have a soft spot for some things in life. I was a member of QP for 20 years when Jim Rutherford was the secretary. Didnt go to many matches but when you did it was excellent. Like going to the bowls with the blue rinse brigade. Centre stand seat, tea and scones at half time and sandwiches at full time. And the best bit? 4 tickets for ANY games at Hampden. Got lucky and got 6 tickets for the 89 final. Well, sort of lucky to get the tickets I suppose.

I don’t think it’s a love in I think it’s respect for a very historic Scottish team , in a country where we have a dearth of anything to be positive about under the current regime , Rangers aside .
They were Scotland’s team until Rangers became Scotland’s team . I think this may primarily have been a consequence of them staying amateur and Rangers striding into a professional future and Glorious successes.

Back