Queens Park Going Full Time

I was referring to the section where you said you couldn't care less about whether they went out of business or not. Staggering apathy from a fellow Rangers fan.
I don’t recall a huge swell of support from the rest of Scottish football for us when we went through our troubles.
Maybe I’m just a bit jaded from the Banter years.

I don’t recall a huge swell of support from the rest of Scottish football for us when we went through our troubles.
Maybe I’m just a bit jaded from the Banter years.

Why would you? You've already said you don't know any Queen's Park fans!

There was a time when Rangers picked up some right good players who had been with QP. Players such as Ian McColl and Sammy Cox (Cox may not have come direct from QP to Rangers. Both of them were stalwarts in the Scottish team. I liked a wee guy called Derek Grierson, who was a regular scorer. However, not every signing was successful as older blokes like myself can confirm, if the name John Valentine springs to mind.
I was having a lovely morning there my friend. :))

I'm not sure of the details referred to concerning the SFA doing them over
But didn't they get shafted on the hampden ownership / use of the ground a while back ?

A club that played in 2 English FA cup finals and are still 3rd behind us and them in most Scottish cups won.

I bet they wish they'd gone professional in the early days.

There are far too many clubs in and around Glasgow and pretty much everywhere in Scotland. 4 club sides in Angus for 50,000 people and a dog.

Lived in the Glasgow area most of my life and I have never met a Queens Park fan or Albion Rovers fan. I assumed they are like unicorns!!
If they both disappeared I couldn’t care less.
My daughter's boyfriend supports them home and away with his old man.
He has a real zest for them which is quite unique but also 'refreshing' as his mates are either Rangers or Falkirk.
He knows the script though and has won me over with his dislike of Timothy.

I went to Queens Park v Edinburgh City at Hampden inJanuary. (Trying to do a bit of ground hopping on a Saturday if Rangers aren’t at home).

There’s a band of hardy QP fans who take it ver seriously indeed.

Quite enjoyed it, would go back.

I'm hoping they start using Lesser Hampden soon so I can tick that ground off.

91% in favour.

Without the carrot of Hampden to attract players, they would have eventually drop down the league system.

At least it gives their fans something to look forward to after being effectively chucked out their home.

I’m not seeing how turning professional changes there outlook . Aren’t they going to become just another lower league club ?

I’ve often wondered how things might have differed had they turned professional at the same time we did.

What sort of crowds were they drawing comparative to ourselves and The Beasts?

Would they have remained a significant force in Scottish football or would they have gone the same way as Third Lanark?

Be using it all the time as they won't own Hampden. In fact going on how good the pitch was in the semis I'm assuming they're off it the now.
Still using it, some of the money they got from the sale will have to be used to bring Lesser up to league standards. One of the main issues I believe is the location of the dressing rooms.

The artificial turf in Lesser pisses all over Livi, Killies etcs efforts.

Sad day, have an affinity for Queen's Park and its a shame to see them be forced into this. Hopefully they can push on and make a success of it.

Me too. A close relative & a good mate both played for them. I’ve got a big soft spot for them too.

Quick question:

Why was it necessary?

a combination of losing hampden and the potential of dropping out of the league system via the league 2 playoffs

by offering players a wage rather than just travel expenses, they’ll have a chance of competing for players at that level. Without hampden and the training facilities that brings, Queen’s Park no longer have their USP, meaning it’s far harder to attract players. Plus, there’s now the real possibility of dropping out the leagues via the playoffs. That actually gets more likely as time goes on as we’re seeing wealthy (relatively speaking) highland/lowland league clubs replacing cash poor league two teams (Edinburgh City and Cove Rangers replacing East Stirlingshire and Berwick Rangers respectively). These new teams aren’t just holding their own, they’re blowing established league two teams out of the water. Being amateur in this context was a ticking time bomb

My grandad was a big QP supporter all his life, and was proud of them remaining amateur. He could never work out why anyone would want to be paid to play football - reckoned it was an honour to be selected to play for a team.

Should be straight forward to put some sort of covered terracing around the the side of lesser Hampden. Although I do think the SFA should be paying for that rather than Queens using money from the sale of Hampden.

Chucked out of their home and now lost a big part of their history, and reason for existing. a shame imo.

a combination of losing hampden and the potential of dropping out of the league system via the league 2 playoffs

by offering players a wage rather than just travel expenses, they’ll have a chance of competing for players at that level. Without hampden and the training facilities that brings, Queen’s Park no longer have their USP, meaning it’s far harder to attract players. Plus, there’s now the real possibility of dropping out the leagues via the playoffs. That actually gets more likely as time goes on as we’re seeing wealthy (relatively speaking) highland/lowland league clubs replacing cash poor league two teams (Edinburgh City and Cove Rangers replacing East Stirlingshire and Berwick Rangers respectively). These new teams aren’t just holding their own, they’re blowing established league two teams out of the water. Being amateur in this context was a ticking time bomb

Cheers mate.

My late Dad was from Queens Park and a Queens Park fan although he also supported Rangers due to my influence after he took me to games.
He would be sad to see this but I can understand why decisions have been taken.

My father n law is involved at QP and he wasn't happy about it all but says common sense would prevail. He did say that it won't be the same anymore which is sad to hear.

It will be different for them and probably quite difficult for the long-serving members to take but with them leaving Hampden they didnt really have much choice.

The
Good, when the Scum get closed down for he mass cover up of child abuse on an industrial scale they can become our Glasgow rivals.

Us v Queens Park

They were the largest attended Glesga Derby 4 times in season 2012/13.

Last edited:

Could the Spiders have maintained their amateur status if they hadn't been forced to sell Hampden for relative buttons? I would say so, although I'm not privvy to the ins and outs. An unfortunate end to a unique part of Scottish Football history, all in the name of progress.

A sad day indeed.

My father-in-law is a QP member/supporter and i accompany him every year to the annual dinner at Hampden. I always enjoy it and the majority of the people connected to the club (Willie Haughey excluded) have leaning towards Rangers IMO. Ian McCall spoke this year and was pretty good and he mentioned QP as being Glasgow's 2nd biggest team ;). Ex Hibs Tam McManus also spoke this year and he was god-damn awful...constantly swearing. My cringeometer blew a gasket listening to him.

Back