Question re Club Coefficient

NorthLanBear

If I’ve got this right the 2016/17 coefficient points get scrubbed this summer meaning that we’ll move up the rankings?

Because we’ve got 0 points in 2016/17 our points will remain the same while others will drop points. Hence why we’ll move up the rankings?

Good question actually.

If that is the case then the likes of Red Star Belgrade and Young Boys would drop below our coefficient for next season's qualifiers.

Our co-efficient for next season's competitions will be 31.250 and is made up of the last 5 years points

So 16/17, 17/18, 18/19, 19/20 and 20/21

eq
Glasgow Rangers​
Sco0.000.255.0011.0015.0031.250

The following season (22/23) our empty year falls off to be replaced by whatever points total we earn next season.

Cheers Al.

In summary we move up 12 places from 52nd to 40th.

10 places above Celtic who will be 50th.

Very interesting.

Just an additional question: is it these rankings that form the seeding for the 2021/22 CL qualifiers in August.

Or does it kick in the following year?

EDIT: question answered above

Last edited:
Coeffiecnt is made of the 5 seasons 2016/17 to 2020/21

They stay above us for the draw purposes

So when would the 16/17 points drop off to be replaced with the points being accrued in 21/22? Would that be after the qualifiers and before the group stage draws?

So when would the 16/17 points drop off to be replaced with the points being accrued in 21/22? Would that be after the qualifiers and before the group stage draws?
They drop off after this season to be replaced by whatever we get next season in Europe

Our coefficient is 31250 for next season draw and what we start with while Celtic is 34000 but start with 27000

Same applies for next season 2017/18 0.25 drops off once the season is finishes

Coefficients for clubs are applied at the end of the season.

Our coefficient for the 21-22 campaign is 31.250, accrued between 2016-21.

The 16-17 points fall away at the end of next season, replaced by whatever was accrued over the 21-22 campaign.

Coefficients for clubs are applied at the end of the season.

Our coefficient for the 21-22 campaign is 31.250, accrued between 2016-21.

The 16-17 points fall away at the end of next season, replaced by whatever was accrued over the 21-22 campaign.
But if that were the case would it not then follow that the 15-16 points are due to fall away at the end of this season? But they already have fallen away.

I don't mean for us. I mean for all teams. 15-16 season has already been removed from the coefficients.
If you're using the page which is posted earlier in this thread, you need to click the blue 2021 link in the top left to get the current standings.
The standings immediately shown are next seasons, which will still change for teams still in Europe.

If you're using the page which is posted earlier in this thread, you need to click the blue 2021 link in the top left to get the current standings.
The standings immediately shown are next seasons, which will still change for teams still in Europe.
I am using the below link which I have saved, which is the 2021 version of the standings.

My point is that the 15-16 season is not included in the current rankings, so it surely doesn't make sense that the 16-17 season won't drop off until the end of next season?

I am using the below link which I have saved, which is the 2021 version of the standings.

My point is that the 15-16 season is not included in the current rankings, so it surely doesn't make sense that the 16-17 season won't drop off until the end of next season?
Ah, I see. Yeah it does look a bit misleading on that. This is from the UEFA website though:

The season club coefficients are based on the results of clubs competing in the current UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League season. The rankings, combined with those of the previous four seasons, determine the seeding for each club in all UEFA competition draws.

Ah, I see. Yeah it does look a bit misleading on that. This is from the UEFA website though:

The season club coefficients are based on the results of clubs competing in the current UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League season. The rankings, combined with those of the previous four seasons, determine the seeding for each club in all UEFA competition draws.
It's as clear as mud isn't it?!

I have just checked the coefficients for the CL qualifiers and group stage last season though and indeed they do include the points from season 15-16.

So it must follow that they remove those points once all the qualification and group stage draws have been made, as those are all the draws that rely on club coefficients.

31250 is our coefficient total - that is used for 2021/22 draw purposes - 2016/17 to 2020/21

31250 is what we start 2021/22 with and whatever we pick up next season will be added to 2017/18 to 2020/21 and used for 2022/23 draw purposes

31250 is our coefficient total - that is used for 2021/22 draw purposes - 2016/17 to 2020/21

31250 is what we start 2021/22 with and whatever we pick up next season will be added to 2017/18 to 2020/21 and used for 2022/23 draw purposes
I've got my head around it now.

We've got another two years of a practically guaranteed rise in our coefficient between an empty year and Progress.
I know it doesn't count for much under the 5 year calculations, but if it was based on the last 2 years, we would be placed 24th in the rankings.

Another 2 or 3 good years and we will be well positioned for any Pot Seedings.

We've got another two years of a practically guaranteed rise in our coefficient between an empty year and Progress.
Another good year would see us break into the top 30, if the relative totals for that level remained the same. There's no guarantee of that at all though. Starting from Q1 in the EL allowed us to build up our points tally with ease. Best case scenario we make the UCL group stages, coefficient points will be very hard to come by and we wouldn't be coming to close to matching this season's tally.

But if that were the case would it not then follow that the 15-16 points are due to fall away at the end of this season? But they already have fallen away.
15/16 (0), 16/17 (0) , 17/18 (0.250), 18/19 (5.000), 19/20 (11.000) = 16.250 (What we had at the start of this season)

16/17 (0) , 17/18 (0.250), 18/19 (5.000), 19/20 (11.000), 20-21 (15.000) = 31.250 (what we will start next season with)

17/18 (0.250), 18/19 (5.000), 19/20 (11.000), 20-21 (15.000), 21-22 (?)= what we will start the 22/23 season with.

Its really quite simple, the last 5 years points are used until the new season starts, then the oldest is removed to make way for the news seasons points.
We have the next 2 seasons where we have almost zero points coming off and the chance to add to our tally. This should see us rise the rankings.
If things go as well as this season we could reach the top 24, which could mean pot 2 in a champs lge group.
We really must kick on, invest in the squad and keep getting to the latter stages in Europe.

At the start of next season we will have overtaken the teams below, either by our points gained this season or by the 16/17 season points drop off, or combination of both. Looks to me like we will be at position 40. We are currently 52. The only team below us still active is Granada, but I don't think they can catch our total of 31.25 even if they win the Europa league.

Some impressive names in this list

Lokomotiv Moskva
Red Star
Milan
Braga
Besiktas
Young Boys
Viktoria Plzen
Marseille
Copenhagen
Celtic
Krasnodar
Basaksehir
PSV
BMG
Apoel
Schalke
Genk
Monaco
Leicester

Our co-efficient for next season's competitions will be 31.250 and is made up of the last 5 years points

eq
Glasgow Rangers​

The following season (22/23) our empty year falls off to be replaced by whatever points total we earn next season.
If we keep the last few years standard up in the next 3 years, sky is the limit!

eq
Glasgow Rangers​

Next couple of seasons could see us shoot up the rankings to a ridiculous degree.

For all the Farmers League comments from Slavia fans I see our country coeffient is above theirs.

Celtics contribution is atrocious.

For all the Farmers League comments from Slavia fans I see our country coeffient is above theirs.

Celtics contribution is atrocious.

Club coefficient points for start of next season (these are the only scottish clubs on the current listing).

Waste of time having the diddy teams in Europe. Can't the SFA/SPFL just ask for the other three places in Europe to be handed back and have the Scottish coefficient based just on us and the dims?

Rangers 31.25
Celtc 27
Aberdeen 6.5
Motherwell 2
Kilmarnock 1
Hibs 2
St Johnstone 0.25
Hearts 0

Club coefficient points for start of next season (these are the only scottish clubs on the current listing).

Waste of time having the diddy teams in Europe. Can't the SFA/SPFL just ask for the other three places in Europe to be handed back and have the Scottish coefficient based just on us and the dims?

Rangers 31.25
Celtc 27
Aberdeen 6.5
Motherwell 2
Kilmarnock 1
Hibs 2
St Johnstone 0.25
Hearts 0
The decline kicked in when we had 5 places and were giving one to cup runners up from div 1 etc

As long as we hopefully remain consistent.

I’m still bamboozled by it all. Seems it could be tough to qualify for the CL.

Hopefully we can add quality in the Summer.

Rangers 31.25
Celtc 27
Aberdeen 6.5
Motherwell 2
Kilmarnock 1
Hibs 2
St Johnstone 0.25
Hearts 0
Let's see what this new competition heralds.

It may be the others might be able to contribute a bit more to the coefficient. At least hopefully overriding any loss due to our point now being divided by 5.

However, if they cant compete even at that level, then they really are putting us in the sh!t. Because other nations sides certainly will be gaining coefficient poiints there thats for sure.

Sadly I fear the worst. With our lot going out and Ukrainian, Dutch et al helping their bigger sides out and we will be hampered severely.

Its easier to accrue points in the EL Group stage than in the CL Group stage. CL gets you money, EL gets you points. Our most likely scenario is group stage, finish 3rd, into EL and get into last 8.

Next two years if we have similar levels in Europe as we have the past two years then we will go right up the coefficient points meaning we will most likely always be seeded for any qualifying phase we are in.

But you get 4 points for qualifying into the CL Groups.
My point is that its easier to get points in EL than in CL. The way the group stages are nowadays, we will probably finish 3rd or 4th in our group and 3rd gets us into EL last 32.
I'm not taking anything away from our performance in last 3 seasons, but we're a very good EL team, but its a big step up to finish 2nd in CL group.

My point is that its easier to get points in EL than in CL. The way the group stages are nowadays, we will probably finish 3rd or 4th in our group and 3rd gets us into EL last 32.
I'm not taking anything away from our performance in last 3 seasons, but we're a very good EL team, but its a big step up to finish 2nd in CL group.
Yeah I guess you're right, this season we got 10 points from our EL Group.

If we can get into the CL groups next season and then manage to pick up, say, 1 win and 2 draws, then we'd still get 8 points. So it is fewer points but not too bad.

Yeah I guess you're right, this season we got 10 points from our EL Group.

If we can get into the CL groups next season and then manage to pick up, say, 1 win and 2 draws, then we'd still get 8 points. So it is fewer points but not too bad.
Would we not gain more points after then entering the EL at group stage having failed to qualify from the CL group?

Would we not gain more points after then entering the EL at group stage having failed to qualify from the CL group?
Do you mean the EL Last 32 if we came 3rd in the CL group?

If so then yeah we'd have the potential to gain more points by getting results in the EL from the Last 32 stage onwards.

Man U dropped out the CL into the Europa League and got knocked out at the same stage as Rangers.
They ended up with 17.0 points to Rangers 15.0 so CL doesn't mean we will earn less due to not competing in Europa League qualifiers.
In fairness Man U managed 3 wins in the group stage.

Man U dropped out the CL into the Europa League and got knocked out at the same stage as Rangers.
They ended up with 17.0 points to Rangers 15.0 so CL doesn't mean we will earn less due to not competing in Europa League qualifiers.
The way the points system works, you don't get points for your results in the qualifiers, this is to avoid teams being at a disadvantage by entering the qualifiers at a later stage or bypassing the qualifiers altogether.

Also Man Utd haven't been knocked out, they are in the Quarter Finals.

Back