Quickest hat-rick scored by a Rangers player?

Colin Stein v Arbroath, 61, 62 & 64 mins on his debut, Saturday 2 November 1968, and I was there.
I wasn’t at the Arbroath match but was at the Hibs match at Ibrox which I think was his home debut when I think he scored another hat trick.

I think there was a match (maybe Dundalk) in between when he scored twice?

In the match after Hibs, which I was at, we managed to loose 1 nil away to St Mirren. Huge crowds at away matches in those days.

That’ll be tough to beat.

Out of curiosity, have you pulled that from a book. I’m fairly certain I have a book that provides info on every match after a certain period, but can’t be bothered going to get it :))
It's in a book called The Rangers Football Companion by David Docherty.

Details on every Rangers competitive game from the Second World to 1985-86.

Includes teams, goalscorers, time of goals, attendance, venues.......

Has any Rangers player or any player for that matter scored 6 in a game.

I don’t mean in the games with 20 odd goals in them

Anything better than Boyd (14 mins) v Caley in 2008?

Random question I know, but popped into my head. I fully expect @dh1963 to post one by R.C Hamilton, or Jimmy Smith.
You think I'm ancient, don't you!

I see loads of replies saying Colin Stein and it's certainly the quickest hat trick that springs to mind.

An alternative question would be the earliest in a game that a Rangers player had scored 3 goals. No idea the answer, but I do remember reading about Jimmy Fleming scoring 14 goals in 2 games. He got 9 in a Scottish Cup tie v Blairgowrie then 5 the next week against Dundee. I'm sure in that second game he had scored his hat trick goal and the game had only gone 15 minutes.

You think I'm ancient, don't you!

I see loads of replies saying Colin Stein and it's certainly the quickest hat trick that springs to mind.

An alternative question would be the earliest in a game that a Rangers player had scored 3 goals. No idea the answer, but I do remember reading about Jimmy Fleming scoring 14 goals in 2 games. He got 9 in a Scottish Cup tie v Blairgowrie then 5 the next week against Dundee. I'm sure in that second game he had scored his hat trick goal and the game had only gone 15 minutes.
Your partner in crime suggests Jim Forrest!

Love this place for trivia like this!
You'll like this one then.

Davie Wilson scored 6 goals in a match v Falkirk (7-1). Four days later he scored a hat-trick for the Scottish League XI in a 4-3 win against the English League XI (a seriously taken annual event in its day) It was the first time in 33 years that Scotland had won that fixture on English soil.

9 goals in four days. :))

Random and slightly oftopic, but who was the last player to get a hat-rick in Europe for us(not in a qualifying game).

I wasn’t at the Arbroath match but was at the Hibs match at Ibrox which I think was his home debut when I think he scored another hat trick.

I think there was a match (maybe Dundalk) in between when he scored twice?

In the match after Hibs, which I was at, we managed to loose 1 nil away to St Mirren. Huge crowds at away matches in those days.
Nope, the Dundalk game came after the Hibs game (see post #41 in this thread)

Colin Stein obviously was the shortest, though the quickest might well be Jim Forrest who scored a Hat Trick in the opening 13 mins against St Johnstone (3,11, 13) on August 29 1964 in a League Cup tie, that Rangers won 3-1.
Two weeks earlier Forrest had scored 4 goals against St Johnstone.
This was Forrest's Third Hat Trick in two weeks.
In between the two v St Johnstone, he scored three at Pittodrie in a 4-3 win on Aug 22nd.

Not Rangers related, but I believe Ian St John whilst at Motherwell recorded a Hat Trick in 150 seconds!
Correct.

Fastest hat-trick in Scottish senior game is by Tommy Bryce (QoS). He scored 4 goals v Arbroath, and three of them came in a one minute, 46 second spell.

Fastest in a non-senior (but still "official") game came when another Tommy (Ross, this time) scored three in 90 seconds for Ross County, when they were in the Highland League.

Back