Rabbi Matondo - More SPFL Goal Contributions Than Games

Might be time to throw caution to the wind and just play him from the start of games. Bringing him on against sides camped in like Ross County isn’t getting much out of him.

That being said, his tactical discipline, defensive work and general ability to control a ball at times/take it with him when he’s running can be infuriating.

One of the players in the Dessers category who we need to try and get something out of in the next 6-8 games, but once the summer comes it’s time for him to move on.

Might be time to throw caution to the wind and just play him from the start of games. Bringing him on against sides camped in like Ross County isn’t getting much out of him.

That being said, his tactical discipline, defensive work and general ability to control a ball at times/take it with him when he’s running can be infuriating.

One of the players in the Dessers category who we need to try and get something out of in the next 6-8 games, but once the summer comes it’s time for him to move on.

I was with you in the 1st paragraph and then not so.

We have a winger, under contract giving us a goal one way or another every 75 minutes.

Why would we want to sell him?

He's a left winger and should have been signed as such, I'd have him on the left and Sima right.

Would be great if he could establish himself as a winger we can rely on, I've never once felt comfortable with our wide options the last few years.

We need wingers who make goals happen it's that simple.

I was with you in the 1st paragraph and then not so.

We have a winger, under contract giving us a goal one way or another in under every 90 minutes.

Why would we want to sell him?
Because he’s not good enough overall IMO. Stats don’t always tell the story. He’s played for us under 3 managers across 2 seasons and hasn’t nailed down a starting spot, despite being one of the only 2 out and out wingers at the club for the first half of the season. The other one was Scott Wright.

He’s capable of scoring a spectacular goal, but like I said in paragraph 2, there are parts to his game that make him unsuitable for us. He generally needs space to run into, which we don’t get much of. His tactical discipline leaves a lot to be desired. His ball control can be hilarious at times and he’s generally still a bit rough around the edges.

For someone who cost £3m+ and is reported to be on close to £30k per week, we can do better for that investment. We need someone to be returning 20+ goal involvements for that sort of money.

That’s all for the summer though. In the meantime, we need to work with what we have and Silva isn’t doing much out there, so it’s time to roll the dice.

He's a left winger and should have been signed as such, I'd have him on the left and Sima right.

Would be great if he could establish himself as a winger we can rely on, I've never once felt comfortable with our wide options the last few years.

Every hour and a quarter he's on the pitch seems excellent to me.

Because he’s not good enough. Stats don’t always tell the story. He’s played for us under 3 managers across 2 seasons and hasn’t nailed down a starting spot, despite being one of the only 2 out and out wingers at the club for the first half of the season. The other one was Scott Wright.

He’s capable of scoring a spectacular goal, but like I said in paragraph 2, there are parts to his game that make him unsuitable for us. He generally needs space to run into, which we don’t get much of. His tactical discipline leaves a lot to be desired. His ball control can be hilarious at times and he’s generally still a bit rough around the edges.

For someone who cost £3m+ and is reported to be on close to £30k per week, we can do better for that investment. We need someone to be returning 20+ goal involvements for that sort of money.

That’s all for the summer though. In the meantime, we need to work with what we have and Silva isn’t doing much out there, so it’s time to roll the dice.

If I listened to everyone on here, we would have no players to start next season.

Sell Butland for funds, Tav cos he only scores lots of goals., Rabbi because as a winger, we want him going backward and scoring? Ok.

Sick of it.

Sima has been great off the left scoring goals. Wouldn't make sense to change him to the other side just now.

If I listened to everyone on here, we would have no players to start next season.

Sell Butland for funds, Tav cos he only scores lots of goals., Rabbi because as a winger, we want him going backward and scoring? Ok.

Sick of it.
We need to sell butland for funds otherwise we won't have funds to sign his replacement mate

:):D

Sick of it.
I didn’t mention Tav or Butland in the post you replied to. This thread is about Matondo.

People are allowed to think that a winger who cost £3m+ and is earning £1.5m a year should’ve delivered more than he has in the last 2 seasons.

It’s completely normal to suggest that the current manager is indifferent about him, rarely starts him and he’s on massive money that could be spent elsewhere.

We’ve dispensed of scores of players over the years without starting them every week.

PC decided he didn’t fancy Lammers after a handful of cameo appearances and shipped him out.
I know mate. But matondo being a bit part player will never tell us what he's really capable of. I think he's got allot about him that's hard to just go and buy on our budget and that we should take a punt on making him a starter for atleast half a season.

I'd keep him. He's obviously terrible at times but he's also brilliant at times and he could damage anybody in Europe with that pace when he's on it. He's an asset to have around.

Played 24 minutes at Home in the CL, scores. Got 84 minutes away when the whole team collapsed and nothing, for balance.

I didn’t mention Tav or Butland in the post you replied to. This thread is about Matondo.

People are allowed to think that a winger who cost £3m+ and is earning £1.5m a year should’ve delivered more than he has in the last 2 seasons.

It’s completely normal to suggest that the current manager is indifferent about him, rarely starts him and he’s on massive money that could be spent elsewhere.

I know, I started the thread.

For only 3 million, a goal contribution every 75 minutes isn't enough?

Only the Gaffer knows his thinking here,

Silxa with 2 goals in 12 games and sod all assists is earning more than Matondo.

I know, I started the thread.

For only 3 million, a goal contribution every 75 minutes isn't enough?

Only the Gaffer knows his thinking here,

Silxa with 2 goals in 12 games and sod all assists is earning more than Matondo.
So why are you ranting to me about Tav if the thread is about Matondo?!

Let’s have it right mate, Matondo was absolutely diabolical in his first season. He was lucky to even be here in the summer and it was purely because of the silly wages he was on.

Yes, when you look at his goals per minute ratio then it looks good on the surface, but 5 goals from a 30 grand a week winger isn’t exactly prolific. The reason none of his 3 managers haven’t given him more minutes is obvious to me - his all round game isn’t good enough.

You can keep defaulting to this goal every 75 mins if that’s all that interests you, but the evidence over the last 2 seasons, the outlay, the injury record and his general play for me would be enough to try and move him on, recover some of the fee and free up the wages for someone who’s going to be more consistent and get double figures of goals and assists every season.

With all that said, I agree that Silva isn’t doing it out there right now and its a case of why not start Matondo, for the sake of variety if nothing else.

So why are you ranting to me about Tav if the thread is about Matondo?!

Let’s have it right mate, Matondo was absolutely diabolical in his first season. He was lucky to even be here in the summer and it was purely because of the silly wages he was on.

Yes, when you look at his goals per minute ratio then it looks good on the surface, but 5 goals from a 30 grand a week winger isn’t exactly prolific. The reason none of his 3 managers haven’t given him more minutes is obvious to me - his all round game isn’t good enough.

You can keep defaulting to this goal every 75 mins if that’s all that interests you, but the evidence over the last 2 seasons, the outlay, the injury record and his general play for me would be enough to try and move him on, recover some of the fee and free up the wages for someone who’s going to be more consistent and get double figures of goals and assists every season.

With all that said, I agree that Silva isn’t doing it out there right now and its a case of why not start Matondo, for the sake of variety if nothing else.

I don't rant firstly.

Secondly, you said you would move him on? Other posters wanting our Skipper and Goalkeeper gone yet they produce on the pitch this season, stats akin to Matondo's.

Rabbi's wages are what our Club offered him'his agent and as for the 5 goals for 30,000 a week? Snide when the reality is 5 goals in under 7 full games.. He didn't kick himself off the park.

I don't rant firstly.

Secondly, you said you would move him on? Other posters wanting our Skipper and Goalkeeper gone yet they produce on the pitch this season, stats akin to Matondo's.

Rabbi's wages are what our Club offered him'his agent and as for the 5 goals for 30,000 a week? Snide when the reality is 5 goals in under 7 full games.. He didn't kick himself off the park.
You posted this, in reply to my post, completely out of context…

‘Sell Butland for funds, Tav cos he only scores lots of goals., Rabbi because as a winger, we want him going backward and scoring? Ok.

Sick of it.’

The ‘sick of it’ part is ranty. It’s actually old man yells at clowns stuff because I didn’t even mention either of those players!

Tav and Butland produce stats akin to Matondo? Firstly, Tav has 25+ goals and assists, I don’t see Matondo with that. Secondly, how can you compare a goalie with a winger? Thirdly, 5 goals and such a small amount of mins tell me that he’s not been available or selected enough. Either way, he’s not contributing. I’ve never seen 5 goals spun in such a way before.

Rabbi’s wages are what his agent negotiated. I’m saying that IMO, hes not delivered on his side of the bargain over 2 years. I’m confident the manager agrees and they’ll look to shift him on in the summer.

You posted this, in reply to my post, completely out of context…

‘Sell Butland for funds, Tav cos he only scores lots of goals., Rabbi because as a winger, we want him going backward and scoring? Ok.

Sick of it.’

The ‘sick of it’ part is ranty. It’s actually old man yells at clowns stuff because I didn’t even mention either of those players!

Tav and Butland produce stats akin to Matondo? Firstly, Tav has 25+ goals and assists, I don’t see Matondo with that. Secondly, how can you compare a goalie with a winger? Thirdly, 5 goals and such a small amount of mins tell me that he’s not been available or selected enough. Either way, he’s not contributing. I’ve never seen 5 goals spun in such a way before.

Rabbi’s wages are what his agent negotiated. I’m saying that IMO, hes not delivered on his side of the bargain over 2 years. I’m confident the manager agrees and they’ll look to shift him on in the summer.

You wanted Rabbi moved on, same as others with Tav and Butland. If you can't see the correlation, that's not my fault.

The 'non contribution' part is insulting. 8 goal contributions in 7 games is beyond what many of us even wished for from him.

As we are talking about this seasons stats, why you keep dragging last seasons up? Is this to help with this seasons argument? Thread about this seasons stats.

You clearly know/understand Phil's thoughts well so we will see when the next transfer window closes where he's at.

You wanted Rabbi moved on, same as others with Tav and Butland. If you can't see the correlation, that's not my fault.

The 'non contribution' part is insulting. 8 goal contributions in 7 games is beyond what many of us even wished for from him.

As we are talking about this seasons stats, why you keep dragging last seasons up? Is this to help with this seasons argument? Thread about this seasons stats.

You clearly know/understand Phil's thoughts well so we will see when the next transfer window closes where he's at.
I do want Matondo moved on in the summer, I think that’s obvious from our interaction.

I didn’t mention Tav in any other thread - I think you’ve mistaken someone else’s post for mine. That’s not my fault.

This is what I said about Butland, in the context of the player trading model that the club wants to implement more consistently;

‘If they decide to accept any offers for Butland then IMO it’ll be 8 figures and that would turbo charge any budget we have’

For the avoidance of doubt, I’d rather not lose our keeper, but if we did, I’d rather it was for big money. That’s not my fault if you misunderstood.

I still believe there’s life in Tav’s Rangers career if he addresses his form defensively.

I’m referencing Matondo’s 2 seasons because 7 games isn’t a decent enough sample size. It’s about more than just goals per game across 7 games. It’s about does he pass the eye test, does he demand a place in the side with his performances, is he capable of showing the tactical and defensive discipline we need from a wide player? I don’t think so, but would be ecstatic if he hit form and started earning his 30 bags a week on a consistent basis and not just now and then.

You clearly rate Matondo and I don’t. I don’t know PC’s thoughts, but I can see what’s happening right in front of me.

Last edited:
I do want Matondo moved on in the summer, I think that’s obvious from our interaction,

I didn’t mention Tav in any other thread - I think you’ve mistaken someone else’s post for mine.

This is what I said about Butland, in the context of the player trading model that the club wants to implement more consistently;

‘If they decide to accept any offers for Butland then IMO it’ll be 8 figures and that would turbo charge any budget we have’

For the avoidance of doubt, I’d rather not lose our keeper, but if we did, id rather it was for big money. I still believe there’s life in Tav’s Rangers career if he addresses his form defensively.

I’m referencing Matondo’s 2 seasons because 7 games isn’t a decent enough sample size. It’s about more than just goals per game across 7 games. It’s about does he pass the eye test, does he demand a place in the side with his performances, is he capable of showing the tactical and defensive discipline we need from a wide player? I don’t think so, but would be ecstatic if he hit form and started earning his 30 bags a week on a consistent basis and not just now and then.

You clearly rate Matondo and I don’t. I don’t know PC’s thoughts, but I can see what’s happening right in front of me.

You're not comprehending the 'leaving us with no players' part. You want Rabbi away, our most productive winger after Sima. Other posters, as I said, want our Skipper and Goalkeeper gone. 2 of our best players this season. That would be 3 top producers away, and say Sima doesn't sign. 4 of the best this season.

If we are playing with 3 attackers, I want them attacking.

There are 7 lesser lights and a keeper behind with defensive duties, they can do most of the running back.

8 players to keep the ball out the net and shuffle it forward should be enough to keep the jobbers of our League out, you'd think.

You're not comprehending the 'leaving us with no players' part. You want Rabbi away, our most productive winger after Sima. Other posters, as I said, want our Skipper and Goalkeeper gone. 2 of our best players this season. That would be 3 top producers away, and say Sima doesn't sign. 4 of the best this season.

There are 7 lesser lights and a keeper behind with defensive duties, they can do most of the running back.

8 players to keep the ball out the net and shuffle it forward should be enough to keep the jobbers of our League out, you'd think.
I’ve got news for you mate. We’ll have a turnover of 10-12 players minimum this summer.

I don’t think the new football board care about continuity.

This time a year ago we were starting with Sakala Morelos Colak and Kent.

Now it’s Sima Dessers Silva and Matondo.

You can throw in a back up of Wright Roofe Cortes and Danilo when fit.

In 4 months time it could and probably will be different again. I can’t wait.

I’ve got news for you mate. We’ll have a turnover of 10-12 players minimum this summer.

I don’t think the new football board care about continuity.

This time a year ago we were starting with Sakala Morelos Colak and Kent.

Now it’s Sima Dessers Silva and Matondo.

You can throw in a back up of Wright Roofe Cortes and Danilo when fit.

In 4 months time it could and probably will be different again. I can’t wait.

Your news was posted by me days ago re. turnover of players. I said 9 new.

Thank fcuk nobody from on here does our transfers.

Tav, Sima and Matondo have given us most of our goals this season. Butland a phenomenal number of saves.

I don't for the life of me, get why we would sell the most productive players, best players.

We build around/with them, not flog them all.

Tav, Sima and Matondo have given us most of our goals this season. Butland a phenomenal number of saves.

I don't for the life of me, get why we would sell the most productive players, best players.

Mate, you’re either really confused or trying to get a reaction.

I’ve never mentioned Tav nor Sima. Neither did I mention wanting to sell Butland like you said earlier. I don’t know why you keep bringing these players up in a discussion about Matondo.

And we’ve got plenty of players on more goals than Matondo. You’re trying to fish so you can dredge up your stat of a goal every 75 mins again.

It’s been spelt out to you why we’d sell Matondo. Playing less than 10 games and scoring a handful of goals is ok, but he’s still got major flaws which is why the manager doesn’t start him. That’s just the fact of the matter. I want him to be a success but I’m not going to say he’s been exceptional when over the piece, he’s been average for us since he signed.

Because he’s not good enough overall IMO. Stats don’t always tell the story. He’s played for us under 3 managers across 2 seasons and hasn’t nailed down a starting spot, despite being one of the only 2 out and out wingers at the club for the first half of the season. The other one was Scott Wright.

Stats tell the full story mate, that's why when you stick a coupon on you study the stats. Where has it been said he's on nearly 30k a week? An official site?

Tavernier's time is up. We need to sell him to get good money to re-build. Sterling is the RB of the Rangers future. Then he'll go for big money and the world keeps spinning lol

Mate, you’re either really confused or trying to get a reaction.

I’ve never mentioned Tav nor Sima.
Neither did I mention wanting to sell Butland like you said earlier. I don’t know why you keep bringing these players up in a discussion about Matondo.

And we’ve got plenty of players on more goals than Matondo. You’re trying to fish so you can dredge up your stat of a goal every 75 mins again.

It’s been spelt out to you why we’d sell Matondo. Playing less than 10 games and scoring a handful of goals is ok, but he’s still got major flaws which is why the manager doesn’t start him. That’s just the fact of the matter. I want him to be a success but I’m not going to say he’s been exceptional when over the piece, he’s been average for us since he signed.

You lack basic understanding. I'm not repeating, again. You're also conflating me posting facts for 'fishing'.

If Tav's, Sima's Matondo's goals and assists ( the 3 best I mentioned) were removed from this seasons League totals, tell me what's left between every other player combined?

Tav/Sima/Matondo have 33 goals and 13 assists.

The rest of the squad have 36 goals among them all and 28 assists.

You know only Sima, Tav and Dessers have more league goals than Matondo, right? 3 and 1 is a striker.

You know Rabbii has scored the same as Cantwell in almost a third of the time less on the pitch and has only 1 less assist?

Last edited:
We’ve dispensed of scores of players over the years without starting them every week.

PC decided he didn’t fancy Lammers after a handful of cameo appearances and shipped him out.
Have you heard of injuries mate, and do you understand they can be a reason players don't play as much at times? When he's been fit, he's appeared and contributed.

We don't know if he would be good enough as any time he starts to get a consistent run in the side he gets injured

Matondo left, McCausland right, Sima up top, Cantwell no.10. Dae it Phil. Just dae it.

Sakala 2.0. Will get chased out and then fans will complain about lack of contribution from wingers. The wide players our support imagine we should have there don't exist in our market and if we did get one, we wouldn't have them long.

You lack basic understanding. I'm not repeating, again. You're also conflating me posting facts for 'fishing'.

If Tav's, Sima's Matondo's goals and assists ( the 3 best I mentioned) were removed from this seasons League totals, tell me what's left between every other player combined?

Tav/Sima/Matondo have 33 goals and 13 assists.

The rest of the squad have 36 goals among them all and 28 assists.

You know only Sima, Tav and Dessers have more league goals than Matondo, right? 3 and 1 is a striker.

You know Rabbii has scored the same as Cantwell in almost a third of the time less on the pitch and has only 1 less assist?
Trust me, I’m not lacking any understanding.

You’re trying to spin Matondo as our third most effective player this season, when in actual fact, he’s our 6th top scorer and 7th for assists.

Tav, Dessers, Sima, Danilo and Cantwell all have more goals across all comps.

Tav, Dessers, Lundstram, Danilo, Cantwell and Barisic all have more assists.

Why would you only include league games for the number you quoted for Cantwell? Is this to conflate the numbers in favour of your argument?

Comparing him to a lot of others in the squad isn’t much of a bench mark because I expect more from guys like Lawrence and Cantwell too, but they’re a different conversation.

The final thing I’ll say on the matter is that Matondo had a really poor first season and although this season he’s improved, it’s across such a small sample of games and goals that I feel it’s time he moved on.

He’s one of the top earners in the squad and for that outlay and wages, we need some producing 20+ goals and assists. Not an average or goals per game ratio. We can’t claim a goal in a game because we have a winger on a bench who is a decent impact sub but we rarely play him because he’s got poor tactical discipline or ball control.

Matondo left, McCausland right, Sima up top, Cantwell no.10. Dae it Phil. Just dae it.
McCausland isn't good enough for where we want to be, imo. He was fine when Clement took over, brought something different but I can't see him being a regular for us going forward.

Cortes, Matondo and Sima are on another level from him.

Trust me, I’m not lacking any understanding.

You’re trying to spin Matondo as our third most effective player this season, when in actual fact, he’s our 6th top scorer and 7th for assists.

Tav, Dessers, Sima, Danilo and Cantwell all have more goals across all comps.

Tav, Dessers, Lundstram, Danilo, Cantwell and Barisic all have more assists.

Why would you only include league games for the number you quoted for Cantwell? Is this to conflate the numbers in favour of your argument?

Comparing him to a lot of others in the squad isn’t much of a bench mark because I expect more from guys like Lawrence and Cantwell too, but they’re a different conversation.

The final thing I’ll say on the matter is that Matondo had a really poor first season and although this season he’s improved, it’s across such a small sample of games and goals that I feel it’s time he moved on.

He’s one of the top earners in the squad and for that outlay and wages, we need some producing 20+ goals and assists. Not an average or goals per game ratio. We can’t claim a goal in a game because we have a winger on a bench who is a decent impact sub but we rarely play him because he’s got poor tactical discipline or ball control.

You must be acutely aware it's about the League, only? Says 32 league games in the thread heider, yet here's you trying to change the narrative.

You who is spinning shit here, not me.

When we win the league, we will look back on who had the best tactical discipline and ball control, not goals and assists. Holy fcuk.

You need to read what you type at least twice before posting.

Something like this is required to throw one last crack at it

Roofe needs to be involved until he falls over as well keeping him in cotton wool aint doing us any favours he leaves in a few weeks regardless

I think Matondo is seriously underrated.

Think he should be starting regularly on the left side of the front 3. He offers far more than Silva.

He seems to have bulked up a bit recently, looks stronger than when he first arrived.

In the league he has the highest goals + assists per 90 minutes ratio of any Rangers player, at 1.21 per 90 minutes.

McCausland isn't good enough for where we want to be, imo. He was fine when Clement took over, brought something different but I can't see him being a regular for us going forward.

Cortes, Matondo and Sima are on another level from him.
It's his first season in the first team and he's had good games and poor games. The good games he's had look to me like there's something there to be worked on. I don't think there's a better RW option in the squad at the moment if Sima was to play up front (which I think he should).

He’s a tryer, I’ll give him that.

Quick, yep.

But if he was any good overall then he’d be a regular starter.

Which he isn’t, because he’s really not that good.

It's interesting that when people have a go at Tav it's about his defending, and for Matondo (and Silva) it's also that they're not defensive enough. When a striker is playing well but not scoring, it's all about numbers. When someone isn't playing well but is scoring, it's the mystical 'eye test' that is the metric.

Matondo hasn't had a fair shot - Gio insisted on playing him on the right, despite him being a left forward and having played the majority of his career either on the left or as a striker. Beale did Beale things. The lad got injured too. Clement has used him since he's been fit and he's produced the numbers people want.

Tl;Dr - people are just a bunch of moaning arseholes who will never be happy

Back