Rabbi Matondo - More SPFL Goal Contributions Than Games

Played 600 League minutes (over 18 games) or 6 full games and 1 hour of a 7th full game, has contributed 5 goals with 3 assists.

We dreamed of this when he signed, right?

Superb stats and worth drawing attention to.

Back to the old saying … Stats are like mini skirts, they look good but reveal fu*k all.

Terrible footballer who can produce the odd moment of magic. Technically one of the worst footballers I’ve seen at Rangers and his best asset (speed) can’t be used against 90% of the teams we play against who sit in with 10 men behind the ball.

If the standard of player we’re looking at for our starting 11 is Matondo the games a bogey.

Mate, you’re either really confused or trying to get a reaction.

I’ve never mentioned Tav nor Sima. Neither did I mention wanting to sell Butland like you said earlier. I don’t know why you keep bringing these players up in a discussion about Matondo.

And we’ve got plenty of players on more goals than Matondo. You’re trying to fish so you can dredge up your stat of a goal every 75 mins again.

It’s been spelt out to you why we’d sell Matondo. Playing less than 10 games and scoring a handful of goals is ok, but he’s still got major flaws which is why the manager doesn’t start him. That’s just the fact of the matter. I want him to be a success but I’m not going to say he’s been exceptional when over the piece, he’s been average for us since he signed.
You know that average for us is what most should be? That's how average works.

You must be acutely aware it's about the League, only? Says 32 league games in the thread heider, yet here's you trying to change the narrative.

You who is spinning shit here, not me.

When we win the league, we will look back on who had the best tactical discipline and ball control, not goals and assists. Holy fcuk.

You need to read what you type at least twice before posting.
I’m fairly certain if Matondo has banged in a hat trick at some stage in the Europa league then you’d have included your wee clips of it at the start.

The reason it’s ’league only’ is because that’s only where he’s scored. You’re saying that as if it’s proving some sort of point, when actually it’s just proving how ineffective he’s been. 1 non league goal in 2 seasons across both European and cup comps is just another reason we aren’t getting value from him.

Listen mate, I’ve said I’d roll the dice and give him a game for the remainder of the season already because silva isn’t doing any better, so I don’t know why you’re getting your knickers in a twist because I think we can do better for £30k a week once the summer comes.

Back to the old saying … Stats are like mini skirts, they look good but reveal fu*k all.

Terrible footballer who can produce the odd moment of magic. Technically one of the worst footballers I’ve seen at Rangers and his best asset (speed) can’t be used against 90% of the teams we play against who sit in with 10 men behind the ball.

If the standard of player we’re looking at for our starting 11 is Matondo the games a bogey.

I've seen terrible footballers, not 1 can produce the quality of goals Rabbi has nor in the limited time he's had to shine.

Tell me what you expect from a Rangers winger, please? Throw in cost as a gauge to compare to Rabbi.

I’m fairly certain if Matondo has banged in a hat trick at some stage in the Europa league then you’d have included your wee clips of it at the start.

The reason it’s ’league only’ is because that’s only where he’s scored. You’re saying that as if it’s proving some sort of point, when actually it’s just proving how ineffective he’s been. 1 non league goal in 2 seasons across both European and cup comps is just another reason we aren’t getting value from him.

Listen mate, I’ve said I’d roll the dice and give him a game for the remainder of the season already because silva isn’t doing any better, so I don’t know why you’re getting your knickers in a twist because I think we can do better for £30k a week once the summer comes.

I'm convinced by you now, let's pay him off in the summer and send him on a Bosman.

For under 30 grand a week, (where this figure come from?) we will get a winger with better stats, ball control and who tracks back.

Tell me who, cheers?

I don't wear knickers, thongs for me, kinkier.

McCausland isn't good enough for where we want to be, imo. He was fine when Clement took over, brought something different but I can't see him being a regular for us going forward.

Cortes, Matondo and Sima are on another level from him.
I like young Ross. Direct and not afraid to take his man on. He does need to add goals and assists to his game however. It's his first season of first team football and he's 20 years old so plenty of room for him to kick on and start contributing more to the team.

I've seen terrible footballers, not 1 can produce the quality of goals Rabbi has nor in the limited time he's had to shine.

Tell me what you expect from a Rangers winger, please? Throw in cost as a gauge to compare to Rabbi.
The limited time he has had to shine? We never signed him in January he signed nearly two years ago.

From a Rangers winger I expect a player with technical ability who can control the ball, who can take a man on and provide a cross in to an area that gives the striker a chance to attack the ball. 8-10 goals a season is a bonus.

I don’t doubt he can produce a bit of magic here and there but I’d hope so for £27,000 a week.

If people genuinely think Matondo is the answer to our LW or RW position long term then we are in trouble.

I'm convinced by you now, let's pay him off in the summer and send him on a Bosman.

For under 30 grand a week, (where this figure come from?) we will get a winger with better stats, ball control and who tracks back.

Tell me who, cheers?

I don't wear knickers, thongs for me, kinkier.
I’ve never suggested releasing him or paying him off. You’re being obtuse, then same as when you dragged Butland, Tav and other players into the debate to conflate and deflect.

His wage has been widely reported on here, online, lots of times. Now if you want to go down the route of disputing that he’s on serious money then we’ll be here all day because we can only go on the limited information available, but it’ll be a lot.

You’re right, we’ve reached our ceiling with Matondo. We can’t do any better. Koppen might as well not even bother looking across the continent and beyond because we’ve already got the premier player in his position in our budget.

Muppet.

Can you provide a source for that, other than FF says so?
Aye, I’ve got one of his wage slips I found.

Now if your argument has been reduced to debating sources of reported salaries, then you’ve lost. You know and I know he’ll be on serious dough. And you know that he’s not worth it.

So if you want to comfort yourself with sources and all that shite, then crack on.

The limited time he has had to shine? We never signed him in January he signed nearly two years ago.

From a Rangers winger I expect a player with technical ability who can control the ball, who can take a man on and provide a cross in to an area that gives the striker a chance to attack the ball. 8-10 goals a season is a bonus.

I don’t doubt he can produce a bit of magic here and there but I’d hope so for £27,000 a week.

If people genuinely think Matondo is the answer to our LW or RW position long term then we are in trouble.

Thread is about this season, not 2 seasons.

If 600 minutes or 6 full games and 2/3's of a game isn't limited time, do tell me what your definition of limited is? Is it half that, 3 games?

We have a developing lad here who will go on to get better and better and go beyond your expectations. He only needs another couple hundred minutes to get these 8 goals minimum your talking about at his current rate.

Sure as we expect technical improvement with all our younger players, Rabbi is no different. Good coaching and experience will see rapid development. Needs game time for that, right?

Similar situation to Sakala, Windass, Waghorn, and a few others over the years. You can tell by watching them that there’s something missing and you’ll get frustrated but you look back at the end of the season and they’ve done pretty well for themselves.

I’ve never suggested releasing him or paying him off. You’re being obtuse, then same as when you dragged Butland, Tav and other players into the debate to conflate and deflect.

His wage has been widely reported on here, online, lots of times. Now if you want to go down the route of disputing that he’s on serious money then we’ll be here all day because we can only go on the limited information available, but it’ll be a lot.

You’re right, we’ve reached our ceiling with Matondo. We can’t do any better. Koppen might as well not even bother looking across the continent and beyond because we’ve already got the premier player in his position in our budget.

Muppet.

There you lost any credibility in your case.

You also offer no alternative so I will rest my case.

Cheers.

Should be starting over Silva anyway, not like he hasn't earned it.

Because he’s not good enough overall IMO. Stats don’t always tell the story. He’s played for us under 3 managers across 2 seasons and hasn’t nailed down a starting spot, despite being one of the only 2 out and out wingers at the club for the first half of the season. The other one was Scott Wright.

He’s capable of scoring a spectacular goal, but like I said in paragraph 2, there are parts to his game that make him unsuitable for us. He generally needs space to run into, which we don’t get much of. His tactical discipline leaves a lot to be desired. His ball control can be hilarious at times and he’s generally still a bit rough around the edges.

For someone who cost £3m+ and is reported to be on close to £30k per week, we can do better for that investment. We need someone to be returning 20+ goal involvements for that sort of money.

That’s all for the summer though. In the meantime, we need to work with what we have and Silva isn’t doing much out there, so it’s time to roll the dice.
You are cherry picking your own stats.The 3 managers over 2 seasons business paints him in a poor light but he has been injured and missed 18 games in 22-23 and 17 this season so thats a big part of why he hasnt started more games.His stats when available are good.
Some fans made these exact comments about Sakala before he was kicked out the door which imo has cost us points.

Aye, I’ve got one of his wage slips I found.

Now if your argument has been reduced to debating sources of reported salaries, then you’ve lost. You know and I know he’ll be on serious dough. And you know that he’s not worth it.

So if you want to comfort yourself with sources and all that shite, then crack on.
Right, so you don't actually know and you're making an assumption.

Imagine the gall of someone asking for a source?

You are cherry picking your own stats.The 3 managers over 2 seasons business paints him in a poor light but he has been injured and missed 18 games in 22-23 and 17 this season so thats a big part of why he hasnt started more games.His stats when available are good.
Some fans made these exact comments about Sakala before he was kicked out the door which imo has cost us points.
So he’s perennially injured too? Magic.

Right, so you don't actually know and you're making an assumption.

Imagine the gall of someone asking for a source?
Google it mate. Theres literally dozens of websites out there reporting figures in that range.

If you want to know the sources source, then reach out to them. Or console yourself with the hope that we aren’t paying someone £1.5m a year who struggles to control a ball at times, your choice.

If 600 minutes or 6 full games and 2/3's of a game isn't limited time, do tell me what your definition of limited is? Is it half that, 3 games?

We have a developing lad here who will go on to get better and better and go beyond your expectations. He only needs another couple hundred minutes to get these 8 goals minimum your talking about at his current rate.

Sure as we expect technical improvement with all our younger players, Rabbi is no different. Good coaching and experience will see rapid development. Needs game time for that, right?
But I’ve seen enough of him over the last two seasons to come to the conclusion he isn’t a good footballer and very limited in what he can do.

The fact he has played his part in 18 games but only played 600 mins tells its own story.

For me I would rather he developed elsewhere because he’s never good enough to start for Rangers. I know the wages he gets isn’t his fault but to be one of the highest payed players at the club based on potential to develop it’s a big No for me.

I suppose it’s all about opinions.

Yes but my reply to you is based on his limited time to shine for Rangers in general and why I think he is a terrible footballer.

I’ve seen more than enough in the last two seasons to know Matondo isn’t the answer … In my opinion anyway.

If we want to be challenging them for league titles we need players so much better than Rabbi Matondo.

At best he is an impact squad player at present and nowhere near good enough to start for Rangers.

I don’t care if you credit me with anything. It’s Koppen’s job to identify alternatives, not mine or yours.

What if Koppen isn't looking for an alternative to Rabbi?

I can't think why we would even even consider it, unless it's very top dollar for the boy.

Sima has twice the amount of Rabbi's goals, he's costing a minimum £6 million (no idea his wages). That's twice Rabbi's £3 million cost and he's value, right? I pray we sign him.

He has 1 assist less though and played more.

For £9 million, we have 2 proven players this season.

What if Koppen isn't looking for an alternative to Rabbi?

I can't think why we would even even consider it, unless it's very top dollar for the boy.

Sima has twice the amount of Rabbi's goals, he's costing a minimum £6 minimum (no idea his wages). That's twice Rabbi's £3 million cost and he's value, right? I pray we sign him.

He has 1 assist less though and played more.

For £9 million, we have 2 proven players this season.
If he’s not looking for a replacement that would indicate they plan to keep him and work with him.

My preference would be to try and recoup some money and use the wages on someone else, like towards a permanent move for Sima.

We are allowed to disagree on the subject. I think what we’re seeing is a part of the reason Schalke allowed him to leave on a cut price deal too, but time will tell come the summer just how much change the management want to see.

Might be time to throw caution to the wind and just play him from the start of games. Bringing him on against sides camped in like Ross County isn’t getting much out of him.

That being said, his tactical discipline, defensive work and general ability to control a ball at times/take it with him when he’s running can be infuriating.

One of the players in the Dessers category who we need to try and get something out of in the next 6-8 games, but once the summer comes it’s time for him to move on.
Tbh I can't remember him having many decent games when he's started. Hearts away when we won quite convincingly under Gio is the one that stands out.

If he’s not looking for a replacement that would indicate they plan to keep him and work with him.

My preference would be to try and recoup some money and use the wages on someone else, like towards a permanent move for Sima.

We are allowed to disagree on the subject. I think what we’re seeing is a part of the reason Schalke allowed him to leave on a cut price deal too, but time will tell come the summer just how much change the management want to see.

That's what should be done.

Will be worth Sima type money and more to us at the end of next season, if getting regular games and producing the same numbers as this season.

We buy young talent, improve them and sell them on for good money. That's the plan. Rabbi has way more to unlock, clearly.

Matondo is an excellent asset and will show that with a bit more perseverance, he will add to the team/squad and then make us really good money in time to come.

Then we will be bemoaning the loss of a top player for us.

Of course we can disagree, thread be shite if we all thought he was amazing and nothing worth saying.

It's reality v perception here.

Reality is 8 goals contributions in under 7 games, perception is he's no very good/clumsy type.

I keep hearing the saying 'real world' but few live in it any more.

if you are making a case for or against a player you need to look at all the facts which you havent as you are unaware of his time out injured.
If you were basing your argument on his availability for selection rather than twisting facts to suit your narrative it may have more merit.
I dont know if he is a player who is perennially injured or one of the many who have succombed to our previous training methods and pre season build up which the Manager has alluded to.

Back