Rangers £1.2 million Tillman windfall

uneasydaz

RANGERS have banked further cash for Malik Tillman after the former loan star completed his stunning permanent move to PSV Eindhoven.

The Light Blues had already landed £1million for the USA international after Bayern Munich decided to buy-out their agreement when his deal ended last summer.

Rangers had first dibs to sign Tillman on a permanent deal at the time but the Bundesliga side wanted extra cash for the playmaker so they coughed up the fee to bring him back to Germany, before shipping him out on another loan.

He joined Dutch side PSV last August instead but it didn't take him long to return to Glasgow as he faced the Gers in the Champions League play-off just weeks later.

Tillman never played in the 2-2 first leg draw at Ibrox but he came off the bench in the second half of the 5-1 rout in Eindhoven a week later.

Just like his time in Govan, the midfielder has been a standout for his team in the Netherlands, scoring nine goals and providing 11 assists in 26 Eredivisie matches.

It will hardly come as a surprise that the Dutch club want to hold on to him beyond this season due to his impressive form.

And they've pushed out the boat to make that happen as they've triggered a permanent deal for the midfielder, prying him away from Germany on a four-year contract.

Manager Peter Bosz was keen to thrash out a deal for the talented player and the club have forked out a reported fee of £12million to land his signature.

It means Rangers have banked another £1.2million for the 21-year-old as they inserted a 10 per cent sell-on clause on any future sale into their agreement with Bayern last summer

The fee will come as a boost for the Ibrox club's balance sheet and will likely add further funds for Philippe Clement to spend when the transfer window opens.

Now Tillman will start a new chapter of his career after spending his full senior career to date contracted at Bayern.

The 21-year-old was highly rated at the Allianz Arena and came through the youth ranks in Munich, following his switch from Greuther Furth as a teenager in 2015
On his full-time move, Tillman told the PSV website: “I am very happy that I will stay at PSV longer. The first season has been great and I hope that we will win many more trophies in the coming years
Advertisement

" That gives me the confidence that I am in the right place here and that I can develop into an even better footballer.”
Manager Bosz added: “I am very happy that he is staying. He is only 21-years-old, but has already taken so many steps in his development this year.
"That is nice to see and I am curious to see how he will continue to develop.”

Advertisement

Great we are getting that money.
Just wish we could have convinced him to stay. I do think he’d be outstanding especially on our league this year.

He signed in the summer doe he get Beale more time?

As welcome as the money is I can't help but feel we have missed out massively on him.

If only gimpy Beale hadn't flung him under a bus things might have been different.
How much to buy him outright? £5m I think it was of Bayern hadn't activated their buy out of our first refusal. But they did so we'd have been paying at least double that fee.

I'd rather have the cash we've received than have spent 8 figures on him - he was good for us, but not that good.

plenty of talent in the lad ,but he is better off where he is, he would never have been allowed to flourish up here, would be kicked up and down the park by the thugs with no actions taken, and any complaints or pleading to refs would invariably lead to him getting bookings for dissent,

Would have loved to keep him - he’s levels above Cantwell or Lawrence, but this has been a decent insurance policy. Kudos to Wilson!

Tbh, Bayern have done alright out of it it also... decent money for a player that was possibly not going to break through. Am still not Ross Wilson.

RANGERS have banked further cash for Malik Tillman after the former loan star completed his stunning permanent move to PSV Eindhoven.

The Light Blues had already landed £1million for the USA international after Bayern Munich decided to buy-out their agreement when his deal ended last summer.

Rangers had first dibs to sign Tillman on a permanent deal at the time but the Bundesliga side wanted extra cash for the playmaker so they coughed up the fee to bring him back to Germany, before shipping him out on another loan.

He joined Dutch side PSV last August instead but it didn't take him long to return to Glasgow as he faced the Gers in the Champions League play-off just weeks later.

Tillman never played in the 2-2 first leg draw at Ibrox but he came off the bench in the second half of the 5-1 rout in Eindhoven a week later.

Just like his time in Govan, the midfielder has been a standout for his team in the Netherlands, scoring nine goals and providing 11 assists in 26 Eredivisie matches.

It will hardly come as a surprise that the Dutch club want to hold on to him beyond this season due to his impressive form.

And they've pushed out the boat to make that happen as they've triggered a permanent deal for the midfielder, prying him away from Germany on a four-year contract.

Manager Peter Bosz was keen to thrash out a deal for the talented player and the club have forked out a reported fee of £12million to land his signature.

It means Rangers have banked another £1.2million for the 21-year-old as they inserted a 10 per cent sell-on clause on any future sale into their agreement with Bayern last summer

The fee will come as a boost for the Ibrox club's balance sheet and will likely add further funds for Philippe Clement to spend when the transfer window opens.

Now Tillman will start a new chapter of his career after spending his full senior career to date contracted at Bayern.

The 21-year-old was highly rated at the Allianz Arena and came through the youth ranks in Munich, following his switch from Greuther Furth as a teenager in 2015
On his full-time move, Tillman told the PSV website: “I am very happy that I will stay at PSV longer. The first season has been great and I hope that we will win many more trophies in the coming years
Advertisement

" That gives me the confidence that I am in the right place here and that I can develop into an even better footballer.”
Manager Bosz added: “I am very happy that he is staying. He is only 21-years-old, but has already taken so many steps in his development this year.
"That is nice to see and I am curious to see how he will continue to develop.”

Advertisement
Would much rather he was still here

Has this 10% ever been confirmed anywhere? Seems it was mentioned in the press but wouldn't trust them to report anything factually.

How much to buy him outright? £5m I think it was of Bayern hadn't activated their buy out of our first refusal. But they did so we'd have been paying at least double that fee.

I'd rather have the cash we've received than have spent 8 figures on him - he was good for us, but not that good.
He was worth the cash tbh

We have done all out of it but if we had him for another year we could have sold him. Down south

His anticipation for the goal away to psv was one of good points he knew when to press

£30m transfer to the EPL awaits a boy who wasn't talented enough for some to play for Rangers. Cracking business by the club btw

Something something we had fans who didn't rate him. Something something I told you he was good, something. Blah fucking blah.
Nice to see we're getting a wee bit of money. If that report is from Scottish press then we're probably getting more than what they say. You know what they're like. Rangers bad Celtic good

N
Beale had no idea how to utilise him. Convinced he would have thrived here under Clement. Great player
But with Beale's pre-season under his belt, he'd have torn a hamstring in October and missed the best part of the season. Agree with you though.

Also not helped by being a young guy (same age McCausland is now when he played for us) playing in a totally incoherent front six where midfield was constantly changing, players lacked clear roles and injuries prevented us from establishing a consistent lineup. Says a lot that he was right up there with our best performers last season. If he had more stability around him he could have probably played better still, especially in Old Firm games.

When you think about it, the fact that Bayern came to this agreement with us has to indicate that Tillman was willing to sign for us, right?

We had him on loan with the purchase option but the only way we could have actually used that purchase option would be if Tillman also wanted to be here.

Tillman could have said "no thanks" to signing for us, regardless of any purchase option agreed between the clubs, and the sale wouldn't have gone through. So for it to be worthwhile for Bayern to buy us out of the purchase clause we had, he had to be willing to come here.

If this was the case I can't for the life of me understand why we didn't buy one of Europe's most promising young talents.

We have done well out of it, there was no way he was ever staying in Scotland, the Partick game convinced him it was a madhouse and he would probably be sitting injured long term by now anyway if he had stayed.

Back