Rangers 1888

Est1872

Official Ticketer
FBw6Bo8XsAYktH3

Cool as %^*&

They are outstanding photos. Do we have names, or are we going on a hunt for them?

I see the boy in the suit2nd from left back row has a star on the watch chain, possibly similar to the star on the famous photograph of a decade earlier?
What a spot, that's got to be a significant item?
:))

Boy in the strip standing 2nd right of the 4 boys in the strip I think is N Smith who was part of the Scottish Cup winning team 93/94. Theres bound to be others in both these photos but I'll need to spend some more time on it. I'm currently comparing the above photo to photos that from around the same time in John Allen's The Story of Rangers. It's not very scientific and a hell of an exciting way to spend a Friday night.

Also I'm pretty sure the star on the watch chain is the same as the star from the Jersey.

I don't see our 5th Lad, the incomparable Tom Valance, he was the club president at the time of this photograph.

This was the Rangers team who played Preston in the match to open the first Ibrox in 1887. I'd have thought some of those men must be in the picture.

W. Chalmers; Donald Gow and John McCartney, John Cameron, John “Tuck” McIntyre and John Muir; Brown, Andrew Peacock, Alick McKenzie, Willie Pringle and Bob Brand.

Amazing.
Shin guards outside the socks, multiple moustaches, a cigarette pocket on the shirt, high top boots, long shorts with tiers at the knee, a team of football hipsters.

All joking aside that is a great photo.
Thanks for posting.

This was the Rangers team who played Preston in the match to open the first Ibrox in 1887. I'd have thought some of those men must be in the picture.

W. Chalmers; Donald Gow and John McCartney, John Cameron, John “Tuck” McIntyre and John Muir; Brown, Andrew Peacock, Alick McKenzie, Willie Pringle and Bob Brand.
I’m. Gonna have to disagree bud. That’s not the team picture from 1887. This picture is from 1888 (William Chalmers & John McCartney among others are not in this picture).

mathtype online

These are off the top of my head.

1 - Peter McNeil

2 - A B McKennzie

3 - James Gossland

4 - James Tuck McIntyre

5 - Robert Hotson

6 - John R Gow

7 - J Robin

8 - John Muir

9 - James Nicol

10 - W Aird

11 - Daniel McPherson

12 - Donald Gow

13 - Andrew Peacock

Information on the 1887 FA Cup Semi Final at Villa Park would guess most of the names match.

Michael Stewart will have something to say about the bigotry, even back then. Nearly everyone in the photo is wearing a Tash. :))

Information on the 1887 FA Cup Semi Final at Villa Park would guess most of the names match.

Hopefully Joe Morrison can confirm.

The museum is going to be fascinating.

I’m. Gonna have to disagree bud. That’s not the team picture from 1887. This picture is from 1888 (William Chalmers & John McCartney among others are not in this picture).

mathtype online

These are off the top of my head.

1 - Peter McNeil

2 - A B McKennzie

3 - James Gossland

4 - James Tuck McIntyre

5 - Robert Hotson

6 - John R Gow

7 - J Robin

8 - John Muir

9 - James Nicol

10 - W Aird

11 - Daniel McPherson

12 - Donald Gow

13 - Andrew Peacock
Sorry, I didn't mean the picture was from the Preston game in 1887. I just meant that surely some of the players from that game in 1887 would have still been at the club the following year so likely in this picture.

Didn't phrase it very well.

Incredible you can name as many.

Back