Rangers 4 Dundee United 1 1975

dh1963

Administrator
Staff member
Official Ticketer
November 12th 1975, a Wednesday night game.

We had won the League Cup but had been well beaten by French side St Etienne in Europe and our league form was inconsistent.
An unusual team line up with both Sandy Jardine and John Greig in midfield, the captain wearing a very unfamiliar Number 10.

Attendance was only 11,000.

We found our form soon afterwards, and roared to a first treble in 12 years.

The starting eleven

Stewart Kennedy, Jim Denny, Alex Miller, Sandy Jardine, Colin Jackson, Tom Forsyth, Tommy McLean, Bobby McKean, Derek Parlane, John Greig, Derek Johnstone.
Subs Alex MacDonald and Martin Henderson.

United's goal was scored by a young substitute called Paul Sturrock, who went on to have a great career with them. They just escaped relegation that season.

More Arthur Montford memories courtesy of @Rangers Archive Footage.

We had won the League Cup but had been well beaten by French side St Etienne in Europe and our league form was inconsistent.
An unusual team line up with both Sandy Jardine and John Greig in midfield, the captain wearing a very unfamiliar Number 10.

The starting eleven

Stewart Kennedy, Jim Denny, Alex Miller, Sandy Jardine, Colin Jackson, Tom Forsyth, Tommy McLean, Bobby McKean, Derek Parlane, John Greig, Derek Johnstone.

United's goal was scored by a young substitute called Paul Sturrock, who went on to have a great career with them. They just escaped relegation that season.

Did they escape relegation at Ibrox with a 0-0 draw? Hamish McAlpine (the goalie) missed a penalty and the Dundee Utd players surrounded the goalkeeper to prevent him from kicking the ball out while McAlpine sprinted back to goal.

or was that another year?:))

While we are on the subject of Rangers v. Dundee United games. Looking for some assistance here…did Jim Stewart not make his Rangers debut against Dundee United at Ibrox in March 1981? We got walloped 4-1 if memory serves me right. Sturrock ripped us to shreds that night. Think JS saved us from a more embarrassing result as well…

The starting eleven

Does anyone know if Walter played that night? I don't think so, but he left Dundee United in 1975 so he may have played at some point. I'm fairly sure I saw him play in a game at Ibrox, probably 74, but that might be hope over reality.

Does anyone know if Walter played that night? I don't think so, but he left Dundee United in 1975 so he may have played at some point. I'm fairly sure I saw him play in a game at Ibrox, probably 74, but that might be hope over reality.
Walter played in this game.

Did they escape relegation at Ibrox with a 0-0 draw? Hamish McAlpine (the goalie) missed a penalty and the Dundee Utd players surrounded the goalkeeper to prevent him from kicking the ball out while McAlpine sprinted back to goal.

It was that same year.

Players from the previous two treble winning teams of 1949 and 64 played for a spell before kick off or at h/t. (The memory is going)

Aberdeen, Dun Utd and Dundee all finished that season on the same points. Dundee with the inferiorererer GD went down alongside St Johnstone.

Yep, was at the end of the season, we were already champions. If Dundee Utd had been relegated Jim McLean would probably have left and the team of the early 80s would not have happened. A real what if moment

Yep, was at the end of the season, we were already champions. If Dundee Utd had been relegated Jim McLean would probably have left and the team of the early 80s would not have happened. A real what if moment
Did it hit the underside of the bar? I was 10 yo and my memory from the end was McAlpine running off the field with both his boots in his hand going mental.

Did it hit the underside of the bar? I was 10 yo and my memory from the end was McAlpine running off the field with both his boots in his hand going mental.
I thought it hit the post at the Rangers end of the ground. I was under 10 at the time though!

Funny that I can remember about games away back then but not remember what happened in a big game 5 years ago. Going to Ibrox really was magical as a kid.

It was that same year.

Players from the previous two treble winning teams of 1949 and 64 played for a spell before kick off or at h/t. (The memory is going)

Aberdeen, Dun Utd and Dundee all finished that season on the same points. Dundee with the inferiorererer GD went down alongside St Johnstone.
Knew I had a pic somewhere @wee bud's pit boots
7LqJ3DE.jpg

ed1SSsG.jpg

He didn't play in this 1975 game.

Their team was

Hamish McAlpine, Alex Rennie, Frank Kopel, Andy Rolland, Paul Hegarty, David Narey, John Holt, Doug Houston, George Fleming, Graeme Payne, Tom McAdam.
Subs Doug Smith, Paul Sturrock.

While we are on the subject of Rangers v. Dundee United games. Looking for some assistance here…did Jim Stewart not make his Rangers debut against Dundee United at Ibrox in March 1981? We got walloped 4-1 if memory serves me right. Sturrock ripped us to shreds that night. Think JS saved us from a more embarrassing result as well…
You're right, that was his debut.

AFAIK it went 40 feet over the bar. And it was at the Celtic end.

I think McAlpine was playing the good guy and keeping the the nod and wink arrangement that was going on. Rangers were taking it easy in the 2nd half. The Rangers No 7 was hitting crosses well away from the target men. Maybe he was having an off night or maybe he was thinking about his brother.

So McAlpine returned the compliment at the PK

AFAIK it went 40 feet over the bar. And it was at the Celtic end.

I think McAlpine was playing the good guy and keeping the the nod and wink arrangement that was going on. Rangers were taking it easy in the 2nd half. The Rangers No 7 was hitting crosses well away from the target men. Maybe he was having an off night or maybe he was thinking about his brother.

So McAlpine returned the compliment at the PK
I have a memory of the Utd players surrounding the Rangers keeper to prevent him kicking the ball.
AFIIK it was at the Celtic end and hit the bar or post?

Google is you friend

The ball scudded off the junction of post and bar and I had to sprint back to my goal like Usain Bolt. Well, probably more like Nellie the Elephant, which must have looked quite comical, but that was the risk of a keeper taking penalties.

Wasn't it chucking it down that night and despite the scoreline, Jim Stewart was our man of the match, he was brilliant that night.

Wasn't it chucking it down that night and despite the scoreline, Jim Stewart was our man of the match, he was brilliant that night.
Spot on.

It's hard to believe after trudging out of Ibrox that night after a real trouncing that about six weeks later the roles would be reversed in the SC final replay.

The starting eleven

Despite us being Champions, having won our first League Title in 11 years, and having won the League Cup just a couple of weeks earlier, there was calls for Wallace out around that time.
After the St Etienne game (what a load of rubbish), and the birth of the subway loyal,
we lost at home to Hearts just three days later.
This was a much needed win.

I was there that night and as said above there was a bit of malaise in the support around this time, despite recent domestic success(we've always been a tough crowd). St Etienne gave us a real going over at Ibrox and the scoreline flattered us. We should have expected it given they had Platini, Dominic Rocheteau etc and they should have won the European Cup at Hampden that year but Bayern did what they always did then.

As the Op says though, the season finished in a blaze of treble glory. The amazing thing was that shortly after this game Sandy Jardine played most of the games as a sub as Alex Miller held down the right back position and also Dingy Hamilton came back into the side about then and was an ever present from then till the end of the season.

I was there that night and as said above there was a bit of malaise in the support around this time, despite recent domestic success(we've always been a tough crowd). St Etienne gave us a real going over at Ibrox and the scoreline flattered us. We should have expected it given they had Platini, Dominic Rocheteau etc and they should have won the European Cup at Hampden that year but Bayern did what they always did then.

As the Op says though, the season finished in a blaze of treble glory. The amazing thing was that shortly after this game Sandy Jardine played most of the games as a sub as Alex Miller held down the right back position and also Dingy Hamilton came back into the side about then and was an ever present from then till the end of the season.
There was also Martin Henderson replacing Parlane at centre forward. We thought Jock Wallace had lost the plot, but he didn't half prove us wrong.

Back