Rangers agree deal to sign US wonderkid Francis Jacobs, America’s youngest soccer pro

dh1963

Administrator
Staff member
Official Ticketer
RANGERS have reportedly completed a deal to sign American prodigy Francis Jacobs.

The Athletic claims that Orange County midfielder Jacobs, 15, will move to Ibrox at the end of the season.

Highly-rated Jacobs became the youngest professional player in US soccer history after turning pro in August 2019 at the age of 14 years, four months and 29 days.

The record was previously held by former American prodigy Freddy Adu, who was a few weeks older when he penned his contract with DC United in November 2003.

And while ex-Celtic target Adu never lived up to his potential, Gers will hope US teenage starlet Jacobs can become the next big thing.

Jacobs has already been involved with Rangers after he travelled to Doha with the under-16s last year to play in the Alkass Cup.

He was one of three youngsters from Orange County - who are in partnership with the Ibrox giants - to travel to Scotland for a training stint.

Standing at six-foot tall, Jacobs seems to have all the physical attributes to compete in the senior game.

California-born Jacobs has already played two USL Championship games for Orange County's first-team, making his debut against Las Vegas in September.

Meanwhile Steven Gerrard last night admitted Rangers are finally eyeing up a championship party.

The Ibrox side are a whopping 18 points clear after their thumping 4-1 win over Dundee United.

And Gerrard said: "It's normal to think about it, I don't think there's any harm to do that. But the one thing I won't do is get carried away too soon.

"We've just got to finish the job off."

Rangers can now go to Celtic Park as CHAMPIONS if the Hoops drop any more points after their shock defeat to Ross County.

So that will be two we've signed from them, its turning out to be a fruitful partnership. From all accounts, hes a big prospect so let's hope it works out for him and us

Features prominently in that documentary series we did with Orange County that's on RangersTV. Not short of confidence, as you'd expect of an American I guess, and, more importantly, not short of ability. Physically developed for his age and with a fair degree of skill. Obviously has a long, long way to go but fits our model well.

If you haven’t watched the documentary then I would highly suggest you do. It was pretty clear I felt we where interested in him. Young lad has a passion and his goal is to play in Europe. Already playing against men should see his development with us go really well. I’m excited to see how this pans out.

America and Canada are starting to produce some big players. I reckon it could be worth getting more of these strategic link ups across America/ Canada.

There are a few cracking USA kids in the Bundesliga. Reyna's son looks top class, but hes
one of many.

Maybe USA will get there in the World Cups in the next decade or so.

Back