Rangers boss Gerrard shouldv’e kept Tavernier on penalties – not tinker with it, says Kris Boyd

Leave Tav off pens,and whilst at it,get him off free kicks and corners cos he's crap at them too.
Hagi or Barasic should be our dead ball takers.

The thing to remember is the penalty misses were badly affecting Tavs form at the time, the majority of us wanted him off them.

i would stick with Hagi, he is the cleanest striker of the ball we have

Maybe Tav just doesn't want to take the penalties.could be as simple as that
"I'm always available for penalties but it is up to the gaffer and staff to make that decision", Tavernier told a press conference.

"I've been practising on the training field like I always do if I am called upon.
"It is good that we have a lot of players willing to step up and take the responsibility but I am more than happy to step up for the team and take them if called upon."

Tavernier, Morelos, Defoe and Scott Arfield have been on penalty duty this term and of the nine they have taken, only four have gone in.

It should be like American Football and we keep Kris on the bench to come on and take the penalties. Everyone happy.

"I'm always available for penalties but it is up to the gaffer and staff to make that decision", Tavernier told a press conference.

"I've been practising on the training field like I always do if I am called upon.
"It is good that we have a lot of players willing to step up and take the responsibility but I am more than happy to step up for the team and take them if called upon."

Tavernier, Morelos, Defoe and Scott Arfield have been on penalty duty this term and of the nine they have taken, only four have gone in.
looks like my train of thought was full of shite then. :D

Easy to say that after the event. Hagi looked confident on taking it but it was a great saw by the keeper.

Dont get the if it is good enough for Walter bit.

Playing that way under Walter worked well in one season and we loved it but playing our current way has served us well this season and I cant see us being over defensive under Gerrard.

If you hit the side netting with a penalty the keeper cant save it

Hook it and the ball is always moving away from the keeper

Alan Shearer is the bench mark in my opinion he used to smash them into the corner

The captain should also step up and take some responsibility here.

It's very easy to be right with hindsight. Probably why the Kris Boyd's of this world chose to be in the media and the Steven Gerrard's choose to be leaders

This!! Surely they do this.
You'd think so. Although I get that it doesn't fully replicate the pressure of doing it for real.

Interesting what SG said about Hagi. Apparently his penalties in training were exceptional. So I've a feeling that may mean he might get another shot at it. One miss/great save shouldn't start the merry-go-round again. But then, look what happened to Morelos?

As Ally McCoist said on Wednesday evening, “Any missed penalty is a bad penalty!”.
The only way a keeper should get near the strike is if he moves before the ball is struck, or he is standing off his line . . . then, in both cases, the kick should be re-taken.

Hagi didn't miss, it was a world class stop by the keeper.

I thought this when first watching it but on the replay it was at a very decent height for the keeper and nowhere near close enough to the corner. He struck it well but it wasn’t a good penalty by any means.

Its got to be a player that plays >90% of the minutes. get practicing in training and pick the best guy. If best guy isnt on the pitch for whatever reason then Tav takes it as captain and previous 'best guy'

Fair enough if that’s what was said , don’t think a 21yo who’s just joined the club should have been the one to step up but sounds like that’s not down to Tav.

I don’t really get why Hagi’s miss is attracting so much attention, it didn’t cost us anything and far better players than him will miss penalties. It happens.

What a lot of absolute shite.

Rangers are looking good in europe could make the later stages and tims were knocked out by a side you would expect them to beat.... and he wants to focus on the penalty taker situation and find a negative.

Sounds as though hes had a wee fright after the yahoos had a moan about his comments on Griffiths.

Back