Rangers boss Steven Gerrard claims last season’s squad were not fit enough to take on Celtic

He has the potential to be a modern day Sir Alex, British football hasnt had a Sir Alex since Sir Alex. If that was to be the case then we get the Europa League then off he goes to Liverpool to get the Champions League.

I think I'm in love:D
We need to cut this stuff out too...do you have a burd?

Seriously...all this shooting yer duff and wanking off to a heterosexual bloke isn't really right is it?

To clarify...

It's disgusting!

PC hat on now...

Aye it's okay to be like that.

63 year old hat (sensible) on...

Get tae fuk! :p

We need to cut this stuff out too...do you have a burd?

Seriously...all this shooting yer duff and wanking off to a heterosexual bloke isn't really right is it?

To clarify...

It's disgusting!

PC hat on now...

Aye it's okay to be like that.

63 year old hat (sensible) on...

Get tae fuk! :p
Calm down dear.

nobody mentioned wanking and shooting their duff except you.

fùcking queerhawk :D

Said that after the 2-0 defeat against the beggars at Ibrox last season we completed for about 15 minutes in the first half but when they took the lead after 54 minutes we couldn't get near them and the 2nd goal was more a case of when rather than if

Any pl
For the first time in years we have an articulate and intelligent manager.

I cant for the life of me understand how some fans thought Warbs, Caxhina or Murty were worth listening to. They talked a load of shite and Im guessing the players thought so too

In all those three cases I for one had a wee voice in the back of my head saying “ bull shit” when they talked.
Greater fool me I was so desperate for them to do well I ignored the voice and bought into the shit that was being spouted hook line and sinker.

Stevie G is as close to Souness that it doesn’t matter. I’m sure this time.

I’m not sure it is fitness , more like a lack concentration and heart in certain players

Hibs didn’t peg us back because our players were blowing out their arse , The did it because were poor at defending

Same goes for Celtic , I don’t think it’s general fitness , it’s a lack of fight and ability

Does anyone think for talking sake that Scott Brown is fitter than Andy Halliday or Sean Goss ?

I mean by a big enough margin to actually leave such a gulf in their respective performances ?

And we now know his visit to the Training complex and what he wanted to be changed obviously a complete top to bottom from food to training its got to work Its whats been needed for a long time and if it works on the senior team Imagine the youth set up will be getting the same treatment.

The fans have known for years that the fitness levels have not been at the required level.

Stevie G and his team get the squad in last Friday and do all the checks on weight, BMI, muscle measurement etc and they realise they are not good enough.

We have let the standards drop and the new management team have sussed straight away that needs to improve and improve quickly.

So refreshing that he’s going public and I would insist the players are told no more 9-12 days and then off to Nando’s for lunch everyday

Double training sessions everyday. Proper diets and gym work to ensure they are in top clas physical condition.

It’s the basics if you want to be a complete player. They have to do the work and be dedicated. Some of the squad are in for a shock and they are going to have to start earning their wages and not going through the motions.

Stevie G knows what it takes and the slackers have just been publically outed. Time to deliver or find a new club.

I’m not sure it is fitness , more like a lack concentration and heart in certain players

Hibs didn’t peg us back because our players were blowing out their arse , The did it because were poor at defending

Same goes for Celtic , I don’t think it’s general fitness , it’s a lack of fight and ability

Does anyone think for talking sake that Scott Brown is fitter than Andy Halliday or Sean Goss ?

I mean by a big enough margin to actually leave such a gulf in their respective performances ?

Yes they are/were much fitter and stronger.

You can tell that he picks every word very carefully when doing interviews. I especially liked the bit when he said that fitness levels are why celtic have been "quite" successful over the last few seasons. That'll have a few of them frothing at the mouth, even more than usual

Eh, what? Have you ever seen an Old Firm game before? Brown, limited as he may be, is physically top class. He's 32 and played about 60 games last year, ffs

I am so so glad Stevie has acknowledged how lacking we were last year on the fitness front. Watching those games it's so obvious that not only did we not have the endurance, but we just weren't strong enough either. Dembele against us is like watching an adult toy with kids in the playground

The players were baffled at how Caixinha treated pre season

We’ve never been a physically fit team since Jock Wallace days, yes under Souness/Smith we walked games because of better players. Throughout the years and particular recent years, it has stuck out like a sore thumb just how unfit we’ve been, in particular under McCoist. We’ve seen throughout Europe the smaller teams, if Fit give any team a run for their money,ten out of ten to Steven Gerard.

Eh, what? Have you ever seen an Old Firm game before? Brown, limited as he may be, is physically top class. He's 32 and played about 60 games last year, ffs

I am so so glad Stevie has acknowledged how lacking we were last year on the fitness front. Watching those games it's so obvious that not only did we not have the endurance, but we just weren't strong enough either. Dembele against us is like watching an adult toy with kids in the playground

The players were baffled at how Caixinha treated pre season

It wasn’t fitness that made our players stand off and let them run over the top of us in the semi final , our game plan didn’t fall apart as our players ran out of energy , it collapsed long before the players even worked up a sweat

Can we be fitter definetly

Is it the main reason we got scudded , I don’t think so myself , being timid for me is a bigger factor

Thankfully Stevie Gerrard will sort us out on both fronts

I think he was stating the obvious but it’s good to hear they’ll be no hiding places anymore we looked well short of everything in those games against the schum self belief being the main one he knows be can improve fitness and hopefully the belief can be instilled in the ones he keeps as always it’s how they perform when they cross the white line.

1350323170_weatherman_tropical_storm_john_boner.gif

Words of substance rather than the glib soundbites we’ve become accustomed to.

I’d identify Tav as a player who could be night and day from last season. He’s got the physique, he’s got the ability - with the right conditioning, decent CBs beside him and the confidence of a proper formation, I think he could be amazing. Really hope we hang on to him to verify this.

Finally, Jordan Milsom sounds the business.

Gerrard is taking no shit that’s for sure a getting our squad whipped into shape.

Given the facilities we have, there's absolutely no excuse for our players to not be the fittest in the country.
Squad fitness is an odd one at Rangers. With all our facilities, and pressure from the support to win letting fitness standards slip is crazy.
A laziness crept in during the banter years, probably it played a big part in failing to win promotion from the Championship at the first try. Then MW brought science into our training, but I had the impression players could take it easy under him, and PC too.
Flying in the face of that impression was a league cup match against Partick last season. We were 1 up for most of the game and looked out for count with wave after wave of Partick attacks towards the game's end. Partick levelled it practically on the final whistle and our chances in extra time looked slim, but we played those 30 minutes full of running. What a contrast with the 90 mins before. Extra time was easy as you like, and we won 3-1. So our fitness over more than 90 mins appeared to be high.
I suspect talking about lack of fitness can be a way of bringing up lack of effort. It's heartening to hear SG coming right out and telling players about responsibility, carrying the burden, and there's no place for cliques. Players have had the run of the dressing room for far too long at Rangers.

Come on, how many of you read that and were inspired to go out and do a 5 mile run? It's the way he talks.

Will be great to see a fitter Rangers. He's been really clever here. Not coming out and saying the players were shite, just unfit which kind of points the figure elsewhere.

In a previous interview the gaffer said he wanted everything to be right for the players, from the facilities, food,training etc. for one reason.

The reason being that they then had no excuses to either be a true professional or go home,he is demanding that they give their all, or he will get others that will.

Time for some boys to turn into men.

We all knew our team was soft and unfit and its great Gerrard has noticed this straight away.

Brilliant to hear.

Of course I think scott Brown was fitter than anyone in our team last season. Anybody watching any of our games against them would of seen st no point were they struggling for fitness. Brown played near on every game for the mhanks last season when they won everything and had a run in Europe. So to your point of is he fitter than Halliday and holt I’d say absolutely.

Our fitness levels have been an absolute joke for years. More often than not the fittest teams win games and trophies. We will be fitter and by that I expect us to be much more efficient in winning games .

Yes. I do.

There is a reason they look like they have extra men all over the place. They are fitter than our players.

Rodgers took a team that looked slow and sluggish and with diet and training regime has them running though walls for him. If Gerrard gets a similar bounce we will compete this year.

Finally I sense a manager with a no nonsense approach. I had a few doubts about the risk but not anymore. The pulling power he has to bring players in was 1 thing I overlooked and a huge plus, but looks like he's bringing the drive disicpline to be the best and determination he had playing to his managing style. Time to brace ourselves in troops as I think we're going start with a bang I for 1 canny fecking wait.

Yes it is glaringly obvious

Apologies as I haven't read the full article. I thought we had a fitness coach. If we did I assume he's now been sacked?
Exactly.
I thought there was some stat last season that we had the fittest players in the league- just after the winter break?
All for the player being as fit as possible, but control of the ball and being able to pass to a blue shirt more than 5 yards away would have helped as well.

Gerrard speaks incredibly well. Let’s hope these players take on board what he is trying to do.
The new signings will for sure those already here if they don't he will show them the door no chance is he taking any shite from anyone. He has all the hallmarks of that magnificent moustached bastard souness

Oh my lord. After many false dawns I try hard not to get carried away by the Stevie G roadshow.
But after reading that I can't wait for the season to start.
+1

Still fingers crossed more than anything, but the intent in the right areas seems to be there!

Look, Weve just taken the fitness guy from Liverpool. He had been there 8 years.

Ive never seen Liverpool blowing out their backside, ever.

Pedantic i know but i would imagine liverpool have a whole team of fitness coaches for all different areas of fitness.

Milsom was the rehab fitness coach at anfield.

That said it augurs well that gerrard knows this was a major issue last season and will be a priority to remedy it.

Back