Rangers captain James Tavernier branded serial loser by Chris Sutton ahead of Celtic final (Record)

I hate to say this but there's an element of our online support that is utterly poisonous.

Ive already given up on twitter and this forum seems to be going the same way. Many have become infantile, chucking the toys out of the pram constantly, always moaning, always negative.

And all this is because we drew 2-2 on Wednesday and theyre still raging about it. Had we comfortably won 3-0, the naysayers would probably join in in telling Mutton to GTF...or quite possibly they wouldn't have commented at all.

Agreed. And sadly it’s manifesting itself at games also, particularly at Ibrox where the atmosphere is pathetic - that bad the manager and Beale have had to come out in interviews and tell the fans to quit with the moans and groans.

All the same muppets who told us we wouldn't be challenging for 20 years, if at all, are now having a pop and asking what took us so long? Shock.

He's right to an extent, we do need to win on Sunday, Tav does need to win some medals or he will be remembered for his time at Ibrox as a captain who won nothing.

Whether you agree with his point or not, I wouldn't give that clown and serial Rangers hater the credit for anything .
Shame on those doing so.

It’s hard to call him a winner given he hasn’t won anything. But obviously this remark has been said as nothing more then a pre-match jibe to get folk riled up.

If Tav ever needed any sort of motivation for Sunday there it is, a dig from football punditry’s chief cùnt.

Exactly. Someone should show it to Tav.

I don't ever recall Tav ever throwing the towel in and getting himself sent off because things weren't going his way though. So, Sutton will always have that one for himself.

I really do hope this come back to bite him in the arse severely.

he's not told lies but as i said above what a chance for tav to ram it down his throat, i'd love to see him raise that trophy on sunday and see what sutton says then.

Sutton
“Rangers have to come back at some stage. We’re getting to the stage where it’s now or never.”

That's a contradiction in one sentence ffs, the guys a troll.

its these types of comments that can come back and bite you, and i hope thats what happens

It’s amazing how many times it does come back & haunt people Davie.

I just want our players to STFU and go on that park & do their talking.

Because of this & the last defeat strangely I think we will win on Sunday.

This match is EVERYTHING to our players. And us.

“Rangers have to come back at some stage. We’re getting to the stage where it’s now or never.”

What the %^*& does that mean. :D Rangers have to come back at some point but if it is not now then it will be never? I brand Sutton a serial goat botherer.

Here’s another cold hard fact, just last week you, rightly, argued that it was unfair to judge Morelos on not winning anything as it’s a team game, yet because it’s Tav you’re quite happy for a prick like Sutton to denigrate him in the press and call him a loser.

Here’s another cold hard fact, they’ve got fùck all to do with each other. If someone turns around and says Morelos is a born winner I think I’d have to acknowledge the fact he’s won absolutely nothing and not even contested a cup final with us. That’s a little bit different than me sticking up for Morelos for people saying “well he isn’t a great player because he’s not won anything with us”.

It’s a fact, not a matter of opinion. But obviously it’s come from Sutton so let’s shut our eyes and remember that fairytale cup victory from last season where we beat Aberdeen and went on to beat the scum in the final to be victorious. What a day that was! Of course back in the real world I only remember Tav contesting one final, and it’s not just that we lost it because any player can play well and end up on the losing side, it’s that bar Kiernan he was our worst player, god forbid anyone remember it that though, forget about reality.

He’s in a good team now and was last season, let’s see if he can captain them to silverware. If he can, fantastic. If he can’t, then Sutton’s point stands, he needs to prove he can win something of note (as the full squad so by the way, not just Tavernier).
One player doesnt win things, teams do. He has been part of losing teams, doesnt make him a loser or simply that he contributes to losing. You mention that at the end, so why single him out? If Steven Davis and McGregor dont win anything in their 2nd spells or are they serial losers too? Or because they won in better times are they winners?

Sutton ain’t really wrong, until proven otherwise we are losers who have bottled games repeatedly. But until my dying breath il be there backing them home and away! No Surrender

One player doesnt win things, teams do. He has been part of losing teams, doesnt make him a loser or simply that he contributes to losing. You mention that at the end, so why single him out? If Steven Davis and McGregor dont win anything in their 2nd spells or are they serial losers too? Or because they won in better times are they winners?
And if he continues to be part of losing teams, he’ll continue to be remembered as a loser, simple as that really.

McGregor and Davis have proven in the past they have a winning mentality. Let’s hope that can be cascaded round their teammates and we can start winning trophies regularly again.

Why the fekk do we a an uneducated bankrupt to fire up our players. Pulling on that Jersey should be enough motivation for any man. If it's not, then they shouldn't be there, simples

To be a successful captain at our very high-profile football club you have to natural leadership qualities - Jock Shaw, Richard Gough, John Greig, Eric Caldow - are such examples, completely driven by the will to win and to spur those on around them to achieve their aims. This applies across the footballing world, the likes of Roy Keane with Manchester United and our own current manager with Liverpool driving their respective teams on to victory.

‘A captain leads by example’ - some of our more experienced and senior players must despair at times given Tavenier’s catalogue of errors this season.

Where was he, our captain, on Wednesday night? - there was still 40-odd minutes to rectify the situation after it went 2-2 but, in the capacity of captain, he was missing in action. He’s simply not got it to give, end of story.
Have to agree with you there mate.personally don,t think that tav is captain material. But Sunday is the day to prove me wrong.

Here’s another cold hard fact, they’ve got fùck all to do with each other. If someone turns around and says Morelos is a born winner I think I’d have to acknowledge the fact he’s won absolutely nothing and not even contested a cup final with us. That’s a little bit different than me sticking up for Morelos for people saying “well he isn’t a great player because he’s not won anything with us”.

It’s a fact, not a matter of opinion. But obviously it’s come from Sutton so let’s shut our eyes and remember that fairytale cup victory from last season where we beat Aberdeen and went on to beat the scum in the final to be victorious. What a day that was! Of course back in the real world I only remember Tav contesting one final, and it’s not just that we lost it because any player can play well and end up on the losing side, it’s that bar Kiernan he was our worst player, god forbid anyone remember it that though, forget about reality.

Nah, they are the same, you’re happy to side with Sutton calling Tav a ‘serial loser’ without context, I think he’s come a long way since the Warburton days.

Its the exact same as Morelos being judged differently to the likes of Jelavic because he hasn’t won a trophy, both players have suffered from playing in dysfunctional sides, it doesn’t make them losers because the team as a whole let them down despite their contributions.

It’s a snidey prick comment from Sutton and it’s a joke to see Rangers fans backing him.

You were the one who responded with an essay first. Without actually answering a single one of my questions.

No it isn't. I made it more personable and simply stated I couldn't actually comment on the ability of those 3 captain's. I wasn't alive. So God knows what was said back then.

I gave you examples of players who often get put forth in discussions when the topic of replacing Tav as captain comes up. You don't understand the jist, clearly. You think a captain should lose the captaincy after a few individual errors or mistakes. Again you shat out of actually answering a single question. Cause you can't answer any of them.

Short of getting a hand on it, I don't see what you expect to happen!? Clearly you've never actually stood on a goal line as a defender whilst attempting to block a shot towards goal. To say he was culpable is bullshit and you are just looking for an easy scapegoat. The attack came from the lefthand side of our defence. To even hint at Tav being culpable for that goal is ridiculous.

It's a pretty easy assumption to make darling, you've not actually said a single thing about Tav that I haven't heard or seen a million times before. You still haven't given me an example of 'proper Rangers captain material'. You named a bunch of names but didn't name a single quality. Why is that exactly?

Same to yourself.

I started to read your reply but honestly fell asleep at the second line. I’ll give you a tip, very few posters on here will read such long-winded drivel so you should refrain from ‘look-at-me’ paragraphs of babble.

I’ve simply don’t have the time to explain what characteristics Tav does not have that players such as Gerrard, Caldow, or Greig had, as it’s so apparently obvious to one and all that it deserves no explanation.

Enjoy Sunday, hopefully our leaderless team can pull it out the bag.

Hopefully motivates Tav for Sunday but beyond the dramatic language I can’t really disagree with the overall point.

Sunday is all about showing we are winners and not shitting the bed again.

I started to read your reply but honestly fell asleep at the second line. I’ll give you a tip, very few posters on here will read such long-winded drivel so you should refrain from ‘look-at-me’ paragraphs of babble.

I’ve simply don’t have the time to explain what characteristics Tav does not have that players such as Gerrard, Caldow, or Greig had, as it’s so apparently obvious to one and all that it deserves no explanation.

Enjoy Sunday, hopefully our leaderless team can pull it out the bag.

Haha did you %^*&. You read it. Unless you just cruise forums and reply to folk then kid on you're too cool to respond to scrutiny. Thanks for the tips, it's an honour tbh. Although I think I do no bad posting on here without your pearls of wisdom. But once again, thank you for your mentorship, it's appreciated. I would be lost without your caring sense of condescension Presbyterian.

You've had the time. You just can't answer. It's okay though mate. I understand. I've seen it on here enough. Clearly the man you literally just name checked there, disagrees and named him captain. What the %^*& does he know about football or leadership though I suppose!?

Oh I will mate.

Nah, they are the same, you’re happy to side with Sutton calling Tav a ‘serial loser’ without context, I think he’s come a long way since the Warburton days.

Its the exact same as Morelos being judged differently to the likes of Jelavic because he hasn’t won a trophy, both players have suffered from playing in dysfunctional sides, it doesn’t make them losers because the team as a whole let them down despite their contributions.

It’s a snidey prick comment from Sutton and it’s a joke to see Rangers fans backing him.

If it’s a joke to see Rangers fans not showing Timmy levels of delusions then so be it. So winners don’t have to win things? That’s up there with great strikers don’t need to score goals (or whatever it was that Tim said that everyone here was laughing at). I’m sure you disagreed with our support when they all had a laugh at McStay for being a loser too.

Your stance might have a small bit of validity if Tavernier himself had been exceptional and just let down by the team time and again, but that’s not how it’s been, and like I said in terms of competing in cup finals the opposite is actually true when you look at the one final we’ve contested. When people talk about winners they’re not talking 28 year olds who’ve won nothing (bar a lower league medal). So no, it’s in no way the same as someone saying Morelos isn’t a great player because he hasn’t won anything here, but I wouldn’t go calling him a winner and I’m his biggest fan. In the same vein none of this means Tavernier isn’t a good player, it’s lot of anger over nothing, and like I said, it’s a hard fact whether folk like it or not. He does have a chance to put it right on Sunday, they all do.

We win as a team and we lose as a team. Let's not pit our players against each other on the back of a Chris fcuking Sutton diatribe.

Wisdom from the likes of him ... wow.

Thing is, the people in these jobs right now wouldn`t know how to string 10 sentences together without repeating childish and unreasonable stereotypes or pointless phrases.

Of course, we may not like it, but apart from that one semi-final win and the win last season, Tav has been on the receiving end of quite a few hammerings, including, IIRC, the game that saw Wallace and Miller axed afterwards for telling the players what probably everyone on here would have said to them. Likewise, it was Tav he supplied the killer pass that wrecked any hope of snatching the title from them during the last OF game at the Scumhut. It is on him to show Sutton up for what a class-free troll he is, and he can only do it on the park.

Just because Tav has played in shite teams doesnt mean he isnt a winner... who needs friends when we have some siding with Chris Fecking Sutton
We,'ll find out on Sunday if he,s a winner or not .he is club captain so he really needs to step up to the plate on Sunday.but so do all the other players.

Sutton's a troll how he's kept his job with this childish attitude to players tell you all about the lack off professionalism in Scottish media.

Suttons delivery is as classless as ever, but Tav needs to stand up and bring a captains performance to these games.

Historically he's shrank when the team haven't played well and only seems to lift the team in leading by example when he's playing well - not as verbal motivator or showing character or charisma when the chips are down.

The great thing about football is he has Sunday to prove that wrong and smash them.

If it’s a joke to see Rangers fans not showing Timmy levels of delusions then so be it. So winners don’t have to win things? That’s up there with great strikers don’t need to score goals (or whatever it was that Tim said that everyone here was laughing at). I’m sure you disagreed with our support when they all had a laugh at McStay for being a loser too.

Your stance might have a small bit of validity if Tavernier himself had been exceptional and just let down by the team time and again, but that’s not how it’s been, and like I said in terms of competing in cup finals the opposite is actually true when you look at the one final we’ve contested. When people talk about winners they’re not talking 28 year olds who’ve won nothing (bar a lower league medal). So no, it’s in no way the same as someone saying Morelos isn’t a great player because he hasn’t won anything here, but I wouldn’t go calling him a winner and I’m his biggest fan. In the same vein none of this means Tavernier isn’t a good player, it’s lot of anger over nothing, and like I said, it’s a hard fact whether folk like it or not. He does have a chance to put it right on Sunday, they all do.

No one's asking you to call anyone a winner, that's not the opposite of 'serial loser'.

It was a snidey comment from Sutton, you back him on it, fair play, we'll leave it there.

I watched Si Ferry's interview with Amoruso the other day and Big Amo said that before one of the Old Firm games, all the Celtic players had been giving it big licks in the media etc.

He pinned up every article from the papers to the changing room walls and made the players look at it.

If that doesn't get you motivated as a Rangers player you'd be as well leaving.

I'd love us to win it on Sunday...especially if Morelos got a goal. I think Tav deserves to lift a trophy with us as well after everything he's been through.

Not a lot of debate win the cup then the team tells Sutton to lick the dangle berries off their arseholes. Aleksandr says it best simples

No one's asking you to call anyone a winner, that's not the opposite of 'serial loser'.

It was a snidey comment from Sutton, you back him on it, fair play, we'll leave it there.

If you’re not one then you must be the other so like it or not, it’s implied. I don’t deny it was a snidey remark and obviously it’s sole purpose was to anger the fans and undermine/put doubt in the player’s mind. But like I said above, he’s technically not wrong and it’s the exact same thing we used to say about the likes of McStay. So there’s a level of denial and hypocrisy here.

I don’t want to side with Sutton though so let’s get that straight, I can’t stand the cùnt and he’s he sole reason I can’t watch the build up or post match on BT. There wasn’t any need for him to say it much less single Tavernier out from any of the rest of them (Davis and McGregor aside). And while I clearly don’t have Tav on the high pedestal many do, acknowledging the reality doesn’t mean I don’t like him. I’m just honest about these things, for example I do, rightly or wrongly, worry about Tav on Sunday more than I worry about a lot of other players, that’s based on some bad performances this season, previous gaffs against them and his last cup final showing. I’m also slightly worried for Morelos because of the intense focus on him, his scoring record against them and what sort of pressure he might be feeling on a personal level (and his the sloppiness of his midweek performance).

Tav was asked about it in the press conference.

I do wish when one of our players are asked about wanks like Sutton comments they would say something like this:

"I don't really take notice of what pundits say.
But they need a job and money like the rest of us. Some pundits keep themselves relevant by making insightful knowledgeable football comments, some haven't the intellect to do that. So all they have is insults and controversial comments"

Press will follow up with are you saying Sutton is like that?

Then our player just says "as I said I take no notice l. So you can decide what makes him relevant"

Shock Jock
A radio or television personality who lowers his content to the lowest common denominator (gutter level) for the sole purpose of insulting, exciting, or inflaming people for attention or ratings.

Gormless Yahoo wind-up merchant has a pop at Rangers player and gets the desired reaction.

I'd have fallen down had I not already been in a chair!

If I was the manager the Daily Rebel would be getting both barrels at my press conference after that headline.In fact they wouldn't be in the room in the first place.Disgraceful article regarding our player and still nobody at our club does anything

I believe that if we lose on Sunday then Tavernier can no longer be taken as a serious Rangers captain. I think one more failure will be the final straw and seal his fate. As many people have said before me - once the Rangers support make their mind up about you it’s very hard to get them to change their mind. I fear for Tav.

Back