Rangers could be forced to scrap Portugal pre season training camp

uneasydaz

RANGERS could be forced to scrap their pre-season training camp in Portugal.

Steven Gerrard’s men were set to spend a week in the Algarve from June 29 to July 6.

They had agreed to play a friendly with Danish Superliga side SønderjyskE on July 5.

But, the Premiership champions are now searching for alternatives after Portugal was removed from the green list of safe countries.

With travel restrictions to the mediterranean resort now in place Rangers might have to remain in Scotland during the close season.

SunSport understands the Ibrox outfit are considering the possibility of spending seven days in St Andrews.

The Fife town is one of a number of options Gerrard and his backroom are now assessing

However, they would prefer to head south of the border if suitable training facilities and accommodation can be arranged at short notice.

Rangers will also warm-up for the defence of their title with friendlies against Tranmere, Partick Thistle, Arsenal, Blackpool and Brighton.

Why would we go to St Andrews when we have our own facilities at auchenhowie? I get the idea of warm weather training but surely if we are staying in the uk, our own set up will be as good as anywhere.

Why would we go to St Andrews when we have our own facilities at auchenhowie? I get the idea of warm weather training but surely if we are staying in the uk, our own set up will be as good as anywhere.
Whenever I’ve been to St. Andrews it’s always seemed drier and sunnier than in Glasgow . I don’t know if thats coincidence or if there’s something in it

That side of the country is drier. Barcelona have used St Andrews for their pre season training in the past.
I did wonder . I’ve an old auntie who lives in Arbroath and normally travel up once a year for a cup of tea and some candy balls off her. I swear it’s never rained once in all the years I’ve been going up .

I’d be much more comfortable with the squad staying within the UK just to avoid any unnecessary complications at an unpredictable time.

Unfortunate that the boys can’t be rewarded with some sun and a chance for a beer away from the scrutiny but that’s life at the minute.

Thankfully we have a squad and staff rammed full of ultra-professionals who I have no doubt won’t bat an eyelid at wherever they’re asked to prepare.

Whenever I’ve been to St. Andrews it’s always seemed drier and sunnier than in Glasgow . I don’t know if thats coincidence or if there’s something in it
Do you tend to visit seaside towns on nice summer days, or in the middle of winter when it's chucking it down?

Maybe when you're in Glasgow....St. Andrews is wetter and duller than Glasgow.....

East of the country statistically gets more sun hours than west. Across the Firth of Forth from St Andrews I'm sure Dunbar by stats is the sunniest place in Scotland.
I've spent a lot of time in Dundee and its definitely sunnier there more of the time than in glasgow etc.

We'll do the right thing whatever it is, warm weather training is great for pre season but that could be England this year, we'll be safe and responsible and have a top class venue and facilities for the boys to get away and focus the body and mind

Can see us going down south as although still in the UK the weather is slightly better and it will allow some time away all together for team bonding

Northern Ireland is nice at that time of the year.;)

I wonder how many MyGers points would be awarded if fans had to put players up due to a lack of hotel space? B-D

FBS

Reactions: TQ3
East coast is much drier than the West. Edinburgh gets 2/3rds of the rain that Glasgow does. There is a reason that textile mills in the UK were in towns in the west e.g. Glasgow , Paisley , Manchester , Bolton , Burnley and Preston.

Amazing this has been framed in a way that makes it seem we don't have anywhere as a backup.

No wonder nobody spends money on this shite.

The British Lions are going to Jersey for that pre-tour training as a result of the magnificent facilities and there are no restrictions on travel.

I lived there for a couple of year and your obervation is spot on. Remember being told it was the place with most sunshine per year in the UK (combo of fairly northerly location, so longer summer nights and the fact the rainclouds have pished down on the entire west coast of scotland before they even get to St Andrews hence loads of blue skies. It was still full or arses though.

Back