Rangers have applied for planning permission for Walter Smith's statue

Anyone else still feel a bit sore thinking about Walter no longer being with us?

Plenty of guys I’m sad to see pass, but Walter just hit differently. But then this is one of my one true heroes.
I still struggle to get my head around it sometimes. I listen to a lot of football podcasts and Walter’s name comes up a lot, normally followed by ‘God rest his soul’ and it serves as a sad reminder that he’s passed on. It still stings.

It’s taken this long as the club wanted the family to be the ones to chose everything about it and they need time to grieve their loss before moving on to the task.
Fair enough. Probably didn't think that one through.

Anyone else still feel a bit sore thinking about Walter no longer being with us?

Plenty of guys I’m sad to see pass, but Walter just hit differently. But then this is one of my one true heroes.

He was like the father figure of the entire club and support. His second stint cemented his legacy, for me anyway.

Even although he wasn't working officially at Ibrox anymore, I think we all felt a bit more at ease, just knowing he was there as a presence before he passed. It was a sore one for all of us.

Cant wait to see his statue, I can think of none more deserving of one. Walter's legacy at the club, won't be matched again. Not in my lifetime anyway.

Statue based on this picture from his last home game. I'd have loved to see him holding a trophy, but perhaps this night with his family on the park means far more

losing the gaffer still hurts a bit,not gonna lie plus he passed away the week before my own mother so its a sad memory for me :-(

They’ve put a fence up round the area where it is to go. Been like that for a few weeks, you can see they’ve done the paving and there is a space for the plinth.

Why would anyone oppose this? Even, if you're rabid, surely you'd respect the great man
For normal people, very true. But we're taking about hate-filled cretins who don't know the meaning of the words respect and great.

Walter Smith - a much greater man than all the paedo protectors put together.

He gave us so no many of the family memories we will always cherish

Statue based on this picture from his last home game. I'd have loved to see him holding a trophy, but perhaps this night with his family on the park means far more

Trophies come and go, they change over time.

Him taking his bow at Ibrox after his last game there with his family on the pitch is perfect imo.

One of my favourite memories of Walter is a daft one. I loved when, under Gerrard, as we coasted to 55, we were playing against Celtic and the camera cut to Walter watching from outside the studio. He was just standing in an empty stadium overseeing us winning the league. He was ill at the time and he may never returned to Ibrox after that day but I loved that picture.

It felt like a passing of the baton.

I also love that Gerrard took the title to Walter in hospital the night we won it. Gerrard got Rangers.

The man was a Rangers constant through my childhood and most of my teenage years. His second spell allowed me to enjoy a Walter Smith’s Rangers as a man, which was fantastic.

Even watching old videos back I struggle to comprehend he’s no longer with us when he pops up on screen.

Why would anyone oppose this? Even, if you're rabid, surely you'd respect the great man?
Most of the Tims I know genuinely do. He is one of the very few examples that commanded respect across the divide. Can only really think of Burns and McCoist (both to an extent) that are similar. There'll be more from the older generations, too, like Jardine and McGrain.

If anyone deserves a statue at Ibrox, it’s Walter Smith.

A fine example of all the values of our club.

Sadly, I don't think we'll see his likes again at any football club.

Without any doubt at all, the man gave me the happiest times I've ever had with Rangers, which won't be matched.

Football is now business orientated, full of charlatans, but give me Rangers men like Walter every day of the week. Managers like him command respect all through football, there's not many left like him.

Rest in peace Walter. He deserves better than that TikTok wannabe, sad case Seafarter being desperate to give the impression of sharing firm information with official approval. An utter wank.

Public planning info or not, he's went searching all day every day to try and be first. Zero class.

Your post reflects more on you than on the OP. How sad you choose this moment about Walter to put across your opinion on someone not important to the grand scheme of things.

WRT to Walter statue, this is fantastic news. Still cannot believe he is not with us.

Mr Rangers to me. I know I haven't got many years left and I can't wait to buy him a beer (still hoping there is a free bar up there)

Back